This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#17293 by stoneman
17 Jan 2007, 20:10
Ok,
Do you thing Jade and the "few" are being Racist because they take the mick out of the way someone talks, or describes them as "The Indian girl".
We all know that this is just a ploy on the behalf of C4 to boost viewing figures, and they are the ones who should be ashamed. They edit all the footage to show what they want, and what they wanted was to show certain people in a bad light. for example, Shilpa(sp) was taking the mick out of Jade something rotten because of the way she said a certain word, mimicking her accent, and kept on about it for some time, so much so, that Jade got quit upset about it, but BB chose not to show that bit on there prime time section. also, Jermaine Jackson even called Jades mum "white trash", but again, not worthy enough for the prime time spot. I hate to say this without sounding Racist myself, but why is it not a 2 way street,
and we all know that the 13,000 complaints that C4 have received is because some group has started a campaign, nothing more.
#155357 by Nottingham Nick
17 Jan 2007, 20:24
I don't watch it so, can't comment on whether or not it is racist, but what a master stroke by whichever PR company set the story running! - it is now the LEAD STORY on the BBC news website. [:?]

Questions asked at PM Question Time, and more tabloid headlines than the Beckham transfer - you would pay millions for that sort of publicity.

I understand, from what I have read, that it wasn't doing too well in the ratings - watch it go now. ;)

Nick
#155358 by Neil
17 Jan 2007, 20:26
Its actually over 21,000 complaints now! This story has now been the main feature on the news, was brought up in parliament, has taken over Gordon Browns visit to India so there must be something behind it (don't think even Channel 4 could pull a publicity stunt like this, especially as their main sponsor is considering pulling out).

I have not really watched that much of it but what I have seen and read, some of the things that have been said by Jades Mums, Teddy's girlfriend and the S Club girl have been racist (Do you live in a shack?", "She wants to be white", calling her "The Indian"), they said it and that is not down to C4's editing of the programme. I think the bigger issue is the bullying, which without doubt is happening, for whatever reason, most likely due to cultural and class differences, but its still bullying and uncomfortable viewing (the anti-bullying charity Jade was associated with has dropped her so there must be something in it!). Shilpa is not totally blameless I must just add, but I do feel sorry for her.

Didn't take long for a potentially fiery subject to appear on the Off Topic forum!!!
#155361 by VS045
17 Jan 2007, 20:32
I haven't watched any BB and don't plan to;), but I think this is going slightly OTT. There was even a debate about it on the Jeremey Vine show, Radio 2[:I] today!

VS.
#155363 by MarkJ
17 Jan 2007, 20:34
and on Radio 5!

Storm and teacup!!

....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[|)]
#155366 by Jon B
17 Jan 2007, 20:39
12 D list (at best) Celebs shut in a house for 3 weeks and filmed 24 hours a day - Must just be me but I'd rather watch paint dry.

Now where did I leave that can of Dulux!
#155388 by honey lamb
17 Jan 2007, 21:23
Originally posted by Jon B

Now where did I leave that can of Dulux!

It's in my hallway! Want to give a hand?

From what I have seen of it, it's a group of mainly Z-list "celebs" with a handful of brain cells between them who haven't a clue of what they're saying or how it is impacting on others. When you get Jade Goody saying that she is the 25th most influential person in the world, is not able to pronounce "influential" and then says she doesn't know what it means - well it says it all! [:?]
#155396 by Bazz
17 Jan 2007, 21:38
Thank God for that. When I saw the title of this topic I though OMG what have I said? Then I realised it was that other BB and felt normal again and put the Hyper Tension tabs back on the shelf.
#155400 by HighFlyer
17 Jan 2007, 21:43
Originally posted by honey lamb

From what I have seen of it, it's a group of mainly Z-list "celebs" with a handful of brain cells between them who haven't a clue of what they're saying or how it is impacting on others. When you get Jade Goody saying that she is the 25th most influential person in the world, is not able to pronounce "influential" and then says she doesn't know what it means - well it says it all! [:?]

Hurrah!!! [^]

Does anyone actually watch it then? I have NEVER watched BB in all my life, and anything with Jade Goody in is an immediate turn-off for me!

Thanks,
Sarah
#155418 by Scrooge
17 Jan 2007, 22:19
Isn't everyone a little bit racist.

Well it's trash talking crap..amazed nobody has mentioned pimping the house out [:I]
#155425 by Littlejohn
17 Jan 2007, 22:33
Who's Jade Goody and why is Bertie Basset a racist?
#155426 by MarkJ
17 Jan 2007, 22:37
Jade Goody is Prime Minster of the United Kingdom and its not Bertie Bassett but Big Brother - if you have read 1994 then you will realise that the TV is actually a camera filming you in your front room - and coz you do not have a TV then you are in the clear!
#155429 by honey lamb
17 Jan 2007, 22:45
Originally posted by MarkJ
Jade Goody is Prime Minster of the United Kingdom and its not Bertie Bassett but Big Brother - if you have read 1994 then you will realise that the TV is actually a camera filming you in your front room - and coz you do not have a TV then you are in the clear!

Er, do you mean 1984?
#155430 by Littlejohn
17 Jan 2007, 22:47
Now Mark, do you realy mean 1994? Next you will be telling me it is a bork by Orson Wells. Tut Tut
#155433 by MarkJ
17 Jan 2007, 22:49
Thats the prob with one dimensional written stuff - its difficult to convey irony!!

Is it not a bork then?
#155434 by Decker
17 Jan 2007, 22:51
Resistance is febrile
#155436 by MarkJ
17 Jan 2007, 22:55
Originally posted by Decker
Resistance is febrile

Engage.....!
#155505 by Tinkerbelle
18 Jan 2007, 04:50
Originally posted by Jon B
12 D list (at best) Celebs shut in a house for 3 weeks and filmed 24 hours a day

I think D-List is too kind more like Z-list!!

Have never seen a single episode of BB - can't see the fascination with it at all[:?]
#155507 by PVGSLF
18 Jan 2007, 05:08
It even made CNN here in Korea this morning.

From what I saw, it's a couple of rough western birds jealous of the classy, slinky asian bird in their house.
But maybe I'm a little biased towards "asian birds".;)
#155527 by VS045
18 Jan 2007, 10:10
Does anyone actually watch it then? I have NEVER watched BB in all my life, and anything with Jade Goody in is an immediate turn-off for me!

Too right, Sarah![^] Why she earns so much/anything and even has an autobiography out is a mystery to me[xx(]

VS.
#155532 by Littlejohn
18 Jan 2007, 10:43
OK PVGSLF, I get it now. BB is a programme about ornithology. Thanks [y]
#155533 by fozzyo
18 Jan 2007, 10:52
Ok, i'll put my hand up ... I do occasionally dip in and watch it. It's car crash TV, really easy - and its good to make you feel superior.

This whole racism thing is a complete over-reaction - as said above storm, tea-cup and in. Its very simple, there are two very different people who just don't get on, and were never going to. That's it - just because two people don't get on doesn't make them racist.

Also when in that kind of environment where you want to lash out at someone people will find easy targets to exploit. If they are fat then that could be the target etc.

As for the "the Indian" comments that have been made when referring to Shilpa. That is just a very easy way of showing a lack of respect by not using their name. If they arguments were with Ian (H from Steps) they would probably refer to "the pufta" or something.

Mat
#155546 by iforres1
18 Jan 2007, 11:25
Crap TV, crap people with no lives and it should be binned, but she is quite pretty[:p] (Not JG or her mum)
#155563 by fozzyo
18 Jan 2007, 12:31
Crap TV that is also very popular and makes bucket loads of cash for C4 and the production company.
#155571 by FamilyMan
18 Jan 2007, 13:13
Funnily enough this is the first BB of any sort that I have been following since the first couple of series - which were infinitely superior.

What I find more fascinating about the celebrity version (as an amateur sociologist) is the age range which is less limited than the non-celebrity version and the chance, therefore, of some unexpected dynamics. It is interesting to note that the older contestants tend to be the first to go - either through choice, because they cannot adapt to the environment, or by eviction. It is a shame as they tend to be the more level headed although Leo Sayer's behaviour and his amazing god-like demeanour were somewhat surprising.

With regard to the current debate. I am trying very hard to see anything racist but really cannot - there is certainly some ignorance, expected from Jade and Danielle, less so from Jo and some bullying but that's about it. I think Shilpa could probably defuse it a bit better but the gang of 3 (Jo, Jade and Danielle) was pretty well engineered by the producers and BB is a master at oiling the mechanism with occassional allocations of alchohol.

They are generally a bunch of z-listers - although there are a couple of exceptions - Shirpa included. From my perspective, it is great watching Dirk Benedict - he may be z list now but he'll always be A-Team to me.

Phil FM
Virgin Atlantic