This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#17398 by Jon B
22 Jan 2007, 20:40
Too much time on my hands today - thought I'd put together my all time favourite West Ham side

West Ham United
1) Phil Parkes
2) Frank Lampard Snr
3) Ray Stewart
4) Billy Bonds
5) Alvin Martin
6) Bobby Moore
7) Alan Devonshire
8) Paulo Di Canio
9) David Cross / Geoff Hurst - Can't make my mind up between the two
10) Trevor Brooking
11) Martin Peters

Other players I loved to watch - Must be getting old they are all from the seventies

George Best - Man Utd
Stan Bowles - Q.P.R
Tony Currie - Sheff Utd
Alan Hudson - Chelsea
Rodney Marsh - Man City
Robin Friday - Reading / Cardiff City

Sure I've left many out who deserve to be mentioned

Who'd be in your all time fav side???

West Ham United (World Cup Winners 1966)

Jon B
#156349 by MarkJ
22 Jan 2007, 23:06
When will WHU fans realise that they did not, in fact, win the World Cup in 1966 - that was England - a team comprising players from various teams across England - yes - Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst played for West Ham and maybe there was another - but come on guys as good as those players were it needed another 9 and a squad of another 11( or however many were allowed back then) to win the World Cup.

Sorry Jon!! But I do wish you luck in avoiding relagation this season!!
#156357 by Jon B
22 Jan 2007, 23:35
Originally posted by MarkJ
When will WHU fans realise that they did not, in fact, win the World Cup in 1966 - that was England - a team comprising players from various teams across England - yes - Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst played for West Ham and maybe there was another - but come on guys as good as those players were it needed another 9 and a squad of another 11( or however many were allowed back then) to win the World Cup.

Sorry Jon!! But I do wish you luck in avoiding relagation this season!!

:D.... always love the reaction that statement gets Mark.
That 'maybe there was another' was Martin Peters.
So we provided the Captain and all the goals in the final. I'll grant you Bobby Charlton played a part on the way to the final (as did Roger Hunt) but in the eyes of all those in Claret & Blue you'll never have us believe anything else.

Jon B
#156359 by Jon B
22 Jan 2007, 23:38
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Not a bad list at all, but I would also have included Sherry (he's my idol, given I am post-40)!!!

GJ

Thanks GJ.... as the song goes

Oh Teddy Teddy, went to Man Utd and he won the lot...

Even now he's a little past it he's still a class above most at reading the game

Jon B
#156376 by MrsG
23 Jan 2007, 01:30
Jon,

When I first moved to Bermuda, I was interested to find that there were a lot of WHU fans (they've obviously got good taste on this Island) I then found out that there was a Bermudian by the name of Clyde Best who played for the Hammers during the 60s, he's very much a sporting legend over here :D
#156381 by Pete
23 Jan 2007, 02:26
Originally posted by Jon B
.... as the song goes

I remember going to the Charity Shield in '98 when we were still singing the alternative to that one.
#156457 by Jon B
23 Jan 2007, 15:16
Originally posted by MrsG
Jon,

When I first moved to Bermuda, I was interested to find that there were a lot of WHU fans (they've obviously got good taste on this Island) I then found out that there was a Bermudian by the name of Clyde Best who played for the Hammers during the 60s, he's very much a sporting legend over here :D

Hi Amanda

I remember seeing him on ITV's the big match all the time.
Clyde Best (MBE) was one of the first black players in the old first division. One of the true gents of the game [y]

He played 186 games and scored 47 goals between 1969 and 1976 for the Hammers and if my memory serves me right, played alongside Bryan 'Pop' Robson up front during his stints at the club.

Ahh those were the days......

Jon B
#156462 by Jon B
23 Jan 2007, 15:32
Originally posted by pixuk
Originally posted by Jon B
.... as the song goes

I remember going to the Charity Shield in '98 when we were still singing the alternative to that one.

So no favourites from the past then Pete? no Charlie George / Liam Brady / Frank Mclintock / George Armstrong..... That's the trouble with the Gooners, spoilt by all this recent success [}:)]

Jon B
Virgin Atlantic