This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#17407 by PVGSLF
23 Jan 2007, 07:46
Flight ban for anti-Bush T-shirt

A passenger barred from a Qantas airlines flight for wearing a T-shirt depicting US President George Bush as a terrorist has threatened legal action...

The T-shift features an image of President George W Bush, along with the slogan "World's Number One Terrorist".

Not particularly offensive, and stating what a lot of people think, but where should we draw the line?
#156391 by MarkJ
23 Jan 2007, 09:17
Originally posted by PVGSLF
Flight ban for anti-Bush T-shirt

A passenger barred from a Qantas airlines flight for wearing a T-shirt depicting US President George Bush as a terrorist has threatened legal action...

The T-shift features an image of President George W Bush, along with the slogan "World's Number One Terrorist".

Not particularly offensive, and stating what a lot of people think, but where should we draw the line?

I dont find it offensive at all, but I guess some people might. And in this particular case I belive its insensitive of the person to wear it on an aircraft where the worrd "terrorist" is bound to upset some people.

So free speech - yes
Offensive T-shirt - no
Insensitive/stupid time/place to wear it - yes
#156404 by Littlejohn
23 Jan 2007, 11:54
Seems like just a POV to me. Now French Connection T-shirts, well that's a different matter.
#156405 by HighFlyer
23 Jan 2007, 11:59
Originally posted by sailor99
Seems like just a POV to me. Now French Connection T-shirts, well that's a different matter.

Oh absolutely!

I'd rather see an offensive T-Shirt than one with the 'Same Fcuking Joke' on it :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#156406 by Littlejohn
23 Jan 2007, 12:02
Still, I suppose a FCUK T-shirt goes well with a Razr and Burberry.
#156412 by Scrooge
23 Jan 2007, 12:33
I had a read off this yesterday,there is also a thread on A'net about it.I spent a wile thinking about it and in the end decided that QF were right in the way they handled it.

To me it wasn't the T-shirt that was offensive, but the guy's attitude, he was looking to get bumped from the flight and he succeeded, so I applaud him for that, but couldn't he off found a better way to do it?
#156510 by VS045
23 Jan 2007, 19:59
I'm all for free speech (and try to exercise that right myself[:I]) but only in circumstances where are you aren't likely to, as in this example, potentially cause distress to those around you and unnecessarily upset them.

VS.
#156520 by DragonLady
23 Jan 2007, 20:22
Originally posted by HighFlyer

Oh absolutely!

I'd rather see an offensive T-Shirt than one with the 'Same Fcuking Joke' on it :)

Thanks,
Sarah

My views on this (French Connection) have been well documented on here previously and still remain. I notice that although their campaign has seemingly died a death of late that, there are now far more t-shirts being worn with full on offensive (obscene) language printed on them which I find abhorrent.I personally wouldn't have found the Bush t-shirt offensive, as in my view it was a subjective statement being made by the wearer.
#156522 by Scrooge
23 Jan 2007, 20:25
Originally posted by DragonLady
Originally posted by HighFlyer

Oh absolutely!

Thanks,
Sarah

My views on this (French Connection) have been well documented on here previously and still remain. I notice that although their campaign has seemingly died a death of late that, there are now far more t-shirts being worn with full on offensive (obscene) language printed on them which I find abhorrent.I personally wouldn't have found the Bush t-shirt offensive, as in my view it was a subjective statement being made by the wearer.

Yes there are and some of the best ones can be found here

Please note that the t-shirts sold on that site can be considered by some to be vulgar, offensive or down right mean....but then again I at times can be considered to be all of the same..so click on the link at your own risk.

EDIT: Link now working
#156528 by MarkJ
23 Jan 2007, 20:39
Links with "parental advisory" now - fantastic. [y]

Good link tho Dave.
#156586 by catsilversword
24 Jan 2007, 06:48

Oi, I've got a razr (not a fcuk t-shirt, nor a burberry though). Oh ****, tell me I haven't strayed inadvertently into chav territory.... [:#]

I don't really have a problem with the Bush t-shirt thingy. As a few here have said, it's purely a point of view, and one with which lots agree. I actually have more of a problem with the kerfuffle over this recent BA/woman wearing a cross thing. Fuss over nowt at all....
#156597 by MarkJ
24 Jan 2007, 09:58
Originally posted by catsilversword

Oi, I've got a razr (not a fcuk t-shirt, nor a burberry though). Oh ****, tell me I haven't strayed inadvertently into chav territory.... [:#]

Strayed[:0] You're in Chav City Central!![:w]
#156602 by Scrooge
24 Jan 2007, 10:04
Originally posted by catsilversword

Well and truly there I am afraid, any white adidas track suits in the wardrobe ?
#156609 by PVGSLF
24 Jan 2007, 10:33
Where did the word "Chav" come from? I may have spent 18 months in darkest china, but I like to consider myself still "with-it" in terms of popular culture. But in that time, suddenly burberry was out and Chav (the word) with in.
I get the concept of what a Chav is, and that has been the same for years, but it suddenly got its own name within the last couple of years as far as i can work out.
#156612 by Neil
24 Jan 2007, 10:38
Chav seemed to become "popular" (and I don't mean that in a good way) after the whole Vicky Pollard/Little Britain thing, it highlighted a specific type of person that, while existed before, was now on main stream tv and suddenly we all noticed them on our streets. Chavs now also seem to of overtaken the Scally world also with the two becoming very similar!!
#156776 by MarkJ
24 Jan 2007, 23:16
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Originally posted by Attitude23
the Scally world

Scallies are hot.

GJ

What is a "Scally" in your world GJ - in the UK it usually means someone from Liverpool!! [:w]
#156795 by PVGSLF
25 Jan 2007, 03:19
Originally posted by MarkJ
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Originally posted by Attitude23
the Scally world

Scallies are hot.

GJ

What is a "Scally" in your world GJ - in the UK it usually means someone from Liverpool!! [:w]

Are you fighting? (said in a scouse accent whilst wearing a shell suit and Kevin Keegan perm)
#156796 by PVGSLF
25 Jan 2007, 03:39
Originally posted by MarkJ
Seek and tho shalt find!!

Look here for all you will ever need about Chavs

Facinating stuff. And the timescale suggested for the words popularisation, fits in with my absence from the UK.
It's amasing how quickly a word can gain mainstream acceptance.

From the BBC: The Future of Chavs?

The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.
Virgin Atlantic