This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#257957 by mcmbenjamin
03 Feb 2009, 05:02
Would you use a mobile phone/PDA check-in service to get your boarding card (err, image allowing you to board and pass security)?

Pros
Saves paper Nothing to lose (well the phone/PDA maybe)No need to reprint after airport changes

Cons
No paper proof Harder when interlining
#707044 by kered
03 Feb 2009, 11:21
No I don't like the idea of the barcode on your phone/pda at all [V]

Also if it were ever to come in on a widespread basis, there are an awful lot of people who are not technically or computer savvy & it would cause major problems for them.

A step too far IMHO [n]
#707050 by tontybear
03 Feb 2009, 12:42
I find the cards are pretty mobile already as I carry it with me lol

But imagine the scene at passport control where you point your phone at the officer who can't read it because its at the wrong angle so you hand it over for him/her to have a proper look, then in handing it back you drop it ....

Or in duty free when you're in one shop and your companion is in another and they need to see the card...

And what would you do if you accidently deleted the text message with the code in?

Plus the equipment at the gate in hundreds of airports would need to be updated.
#707071 by pjh
03 Feb 2009, 14:33
I think that you can already do this on some BMI flights.
#707072 by mitchja
03 Feb 2009, 14:39
BMI have done this for several months now on certain UK routes, though I've not tried it yet. You get sent an MMS message.

It's bad enough at MAN as it is now, as before you enter security you have to scan your own boarding pass, which many pax seem to struggle with just doing that.

I'd use it for domestic flights but nothing else.

Regards
#707073 by Darren Wheeler
03 Feb 2009, 14:43
Paper here. I want to be able to flaunt my piece of purple.
#707077 by HighFlyer
03 Feb 2009, 15:02
LH also use this option and it seems quite popular in Germany as it enables travellers to turn up much later and just hit a scanner with their phone and go straight to security. I guess for Euro trips where you only have hand luggage its quite a good idea, but I'm a stickler for paper I'm afraid.

Thanks,
Sarah
#707104 by Sealink
03 Feb 2009, 19:02
It's a good idea - Chiltern Train use barcode readers to open barriers at Marylebone with the text tickets, my concern would be when you get to the airport after a long journey and the battery is flat...

My favourite boarding cards (if you can have such a thing) were issued at Belfast International - last time I checked in there they were credit card sized. Perfect.
#707115 by kered
03 Feb 2009, 20:35
quote:Originally posted by Sealink
...........my concern would be when you get to the airport after a long journey and the battery is flat.......

Indeed

Having listened to tunes on your iPhone with its wonderful battery life [ii]

Or another scenario I would worry about, is boarding a flight to see someone sitting in your seat, as has happened to me on a couple of occasions. Id prefer to wave a proper boarding card at them, instead of my phone [V]

Paper all the way, thanks [y]
#707121 by mitchja
03 Feb 2009, 21:00
You'll also need the free MMS app someone has come up with, if you want to use an iPhone and even then you need someone to send you an MMS message first in order to start using the MMS app.

Regards
#707124 by kered
03 Feb 2009, 21:13
There you are then, another reason not to go for Boarding Passes on your phone. Not every phone will be able to display them.

Or in the case of the iPhone, receive them at all [ii]

Still love my iPhone though [y]
#707128 by Jacki
03 Feb 2009, 21:33
Just a thought, I often dash to the airport straight from work and I can easily just see a situation where I go to show them the boarding pass only to realise I've forgotten to charge the phone!
#707131 by miopyk
03 Feb 2009, 22:11
Funny enough I'm currently on a course with a guy that works for a company that is developing this technology. His view is that it is inevitable that this will happen but they need to overcome some security issues and screen definition to make it secure and reduce the potential errors.

Miopyk [8D]
#707148 by kered
03 Feb 2009, 23:28
Well I just hope that they (the airlines) run it in parallel with paper BPs for a good few years yet.

Not everyone is computer / phone / MMS / techy savvy & not everyone will have a phone suitable for MMS (iPhone). So I see some rather large hurdles to be overcome, before it becomes the norm.

A lot of folks are just getting used to OLCI & SSKCI.
#707157 by mcmbenjamin
04 Feb 2009, 02:54
You all bring up some good points.

True, there is no guarantee that passengers will have a mobile phone or that the mobile phone would support the technology used.

I feel that the whole airport would adopt to the technology including immigration and duty free. Honestly being able to scan the something would save them time. Also consider that immigration have/will have the ability 'scan'/chip passports which could really speed up or even automate departure immigration.

I view mobile boarding cards to be an improvement from the traditional online/home printed version for a few reasons. Home printed boarding cards can be modified using basic software or text editors. Some airlines have wised up and started to issue PDFs; some with security features in the file. Home printed boarding cards do not let the airline know that the passenger is at the airport and will fly (assuming no checked bags). This could be used improved by data sharing by departure immigration or security scans (assuming central security) OR sharing GPS location with the airline. Benefits to the passenger is improved ontime numbers, more accurate upgrades, better seat choice and lower cost.

Also true that not everyone will have access to this technology. Paper will be here to stay. The main cost issue that the airlines have is the magnetic encoding machines and the magnetic boarding cards.

Bluetooth is pretty common. I do not fully understand the technology. Would it be possible to have some sort of secure 'tag' in the Bluetooth to ID the passenger's details?
#707168 by pjh
04 Feb 2009, 09:33
quote:Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Home printed boarding cards do not let the airline know that the passenger is at the airport and will fly (assuming no checked bags).

I see your point but I'm not sure how a bar code on a mobile device would deal with this specific issue. Wouldn't a better approach for this issue be integration with the security systems in the airport? At STN all home printed boarding passes are scanned at the entrance to the screening area, and therefore the information must be in the system somewhere of who has actually bothered to turn up.

I've seen the bar code on phone approach used with concert tickets,too.

Paul
#847891 by Sealink
09 Jun 2013, 13:46
I was looking for another post and came across this.
How quickly we have accepted mobile boarding cards!
#847893 by locutus
09 Jun 2013, 13:50
I used a mobile boarding pass on my EDI-LHR flight yesterday. Not a good solution. Needs a proper app like BA have. All too easy to lose the web site, like when trying to get the free wifi and it opens up the login page on the same tab as your BP.
#847894 by Sealink
09 Jun 2013, 13:55
You can use Passbook?

On my iPhone I do a "print screen" so open the barcode in my Photo Gallery.
#847898 by yinx224
09 Jun 2013, 14:10
I flew from LHR to LAX in May and although I was aware of the mobile boarding pass I decided to just get a paper ticket at the check in desk. However, I logged into my booking in the lounge and the option to send the mobile pass was still available so I did and I used about to get through the gate with it. I must say it wasn't any faster but I guess the real pros are being able to get to the airport later and waste paper. Im flying out of Heathrow again on Tuesday but I still haven't decided which pass to get as Im not really bothered about getting to the lounge early ( more redheads for me). I guess its worth trying though to see if it works for you,
#847900 by mitchja
09 Jun 2013, 14:11
Since the app update last week, the BA app uses iOS Passbook as well now (though it doesn't use ring fencing yet as the VS and other systems do)
Virgin Atlantic