This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#786772 by slinky09
23 Jul 2011, 21:41
A great talent, gone to waste. A tortured life now hopefully peaceful.

Such a shame.
#786783 by rich1664
24 Jul 2011, 07:24
It's sad when anyone dies, particularly the young, so I have to say that my thoughts are with the 80 plus people who died in Norway today (many of them younger than 27) before a (talented, but still) selfish drug addled, drunken singer.
#786786 by Hev60
24 Jul 2011, 09:21
With all due respects to the original comment, I was horrified as I read this thread last night but didn't have the courage to reply. So well done rich1664, you echo my thoughts.
I hope the 'mod's actually remove this thread before it degenerates into a nasty slanging match. I think sentiments and comments about this woman should be put onto the likes of Facebook, Twitter and the like. Not here please.
No offence meant but let's not single out one dead woman when hundreds of innocent people also died yesterday all over the world. :(
#786787 by RedVee
24 Jul 2011, 09:29
Probably appropriate for the mods to move this to the "Galley", where off topic discussion on ANYTHING is allowed.

People are entitled to express opinions on this forum, and the discussion does not need to degenerate if everyone remembers to be polite.

Regards
R3dV
#786788 by Hev60
24 Jul 2011, 09:45
Totally agree with you RedVee but I've been watching a tv debate on the 'subject' and that sure got very unpleasant. Like you say everyone is entitled to opinions and a healthy discussion should be possible but often, like on this tv debate, folk can get quite offensive because they have very strong views one way or the other.
#786789 by Darren Wheeler
24 Jul 2011, 09:46
RedVee wrote:Probably appropriate for the mods to move this to the "Galley", where off topic discussion on ANYTHING is allowed.

Agreed, and done. :)

People are entitled to express opinions on this forum, and the discussion does not need to degenerate if everyone remembers to be polite.

Regards
R3dV

Agreed again.
#786795 by slinky09
24 Jul 2011, 11:03
rich1664 wrote:It's sad when anyone dies, particularly the young, so I have to say that my thoughts are with the 80 plus people who died in Norway today (many of them younger than 27) before a (talented, but still) selfish drug addled, drunken singer.

I did not intend this to be a lottery of deserving, I agree with you by the way! Although I disagree with the word 'selfish' - although addicted people may appear to be.
#786800 by Neil
24 Jul 2011, 12:22
I was never a huge fan of hers, but she was undoubtably a very talented person, and I was sad when I heard the news. I hope it highlights to everyone how dangerous drugs/alcohol or any addictions are, and how important it is to ensure you surround yourself with the right people and not 'yes men'.
#786801 by flabound
24 Jul 2011, 12:29
agree 100% with Rich. Tragedy is when 90 odd young people are randomly murdered or soldiers doing their duty are shot or maimed.

stupid waste of a limited talent is another thing and deserves less mention than its already had. still didnt someone once say death is the best thing for a persons career ?
#786802 by pkatmk
24 Jul 2011, 13:08
The OPs comments are simply an expression of his reaction to Amy Winehouse's death. Whether you agree or disagree with them I can see no purpose in making comparison with events in Norway.
#786803 by slinky09
24 Jul 2011, 13:12
flabound wrote:agree 100% with Rich. Tragedy is when 90 odd young people are randomly murdered or soldiers doing their duty are shot or maimed.

Look up the meaning of the word 'tragedy' and understand it's etymology and you'll find it overused, and misused. Neither of your situations apply, dreadful events that they are.

The BBC is one of the main culprits for throwing out 'tragedy' when something awful happens, they should know better.
#786828 by Miss G
24 Jul 2011, 18:40
For what it's worth, the situation in Norway and the death of Amy Winehouse are two separate things, and it is completely acceptable to have feelings of sympathy in regards to both.
#786877 by Concorde RIP
25 Jul 2011, 09:49
Sad when anyone dies young - my thoughts are with all affected by events this weekend.

Amy Winehouse - well, I've heard comparisons with Billy Holiday this morning, which got me a little upset. The comparison ends at a tortured life, drugs and bad influences/peers. Talent? There's no comparison - Holiday was a genious and I personally never rated Winehouse that highly - all just my opinion however.
#786886 by Guest
25 Jul 2011, 12:52
slinky09 wrote:A great talent, gone to waste. A tortured life now hopefully peaceful.

Such a shame.

Couldnt put it better myself y)

Her music talent will be sorely missed by her many fans, myself included
Virgin Atlantic