This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#789000 by Bazz
22 Aug 2011, 17:10
Virgin statement here. http://bit.ly/prCfMf
#789001 by tontybear
22 Aug 2011, 17:20
mdvipond wrote:Don't know about you, but this puts my 2012 holiday plans into absolute turmoil...

One imagines that your good lady and young Tizer too of course are mopping your tears and cooling your forehead as you repose on a chaise in a darkened room chez Mdvipond!

But what sort of language is

a fire took place on ...

Surely fires 'occur' or 'break out' ?
#789003 by slinky09
22 Aug 2011, 17:54
"Each of the bedrooms has its own balcony, four-poster bed and en-suite bathroom"

Well, I guess some might not have now ... strange things that journos write!
#789011 by Martin
22 Aug 2011, 18:39
There are some amazing photos on Richard's blog. Sadly the main house was completely destroyed.

Kate Winslet was staying there at the time and helped to carry SRB's 90 year old mum out. Must have been a Titanic moment :D
#789024 by Guest
22 Aug 2011, 19:32
Very sad to hear such news from the beautiful island.

I hope Hurricane Irene doesn't cause any further damage to, what is probably, a rather weak structure.

Cal
#789054 by tontybear
23 Aug 2011, 12:07
Concorde RIP wrote:Scary stuff - I don't suppose the local fire bregade are all that well equipped...

Glad everyone is ok though...

As it's a private island I doubt it has a lot in the way of a fire brigade. Probbaly relies on the staff and a few hosepipes etc.
#789055 by Guest
23 Aug 2011, 12:10
Concorde RIP wrote:Scary stuff - I don't suppose the local fire bregade are all that well equipped...

Glad everyone is ok though...

Although the idea of a lovely desert island is fantastic, I do wonder with things like fire/ambulance etc what sort of wait times would be.

As Tonty has said, I expect they are very well equipped onsite.

Cal
#789059 by tontybear
23 Aug 2011, 12:45
Cal346 wrote:As Tonty has said, I expect they are very well equipped onsite.

Cal

No, I was making the point that they probbaly had very little in the way of equipment.

THwe wait time for an 'ambulance' would be the time taken to get a boat / helicopter to/from the island to the nearest facilities.
#789063 by Concorde RIP
23 Aug 2011, 13:31
Yep Tonty - that was where I was coming from - my original comment was tongue in cheek...

They might have had sprinkler systems at the most, but a serious fire is bound to get out of control with little in the way of heavy duty fire fighting equipment.

They would probably have helicopters for ambulance etc, but even that would take quite a while, I imagine, to scramble and get to the island.

Anyway, lot of damage maybe, but everyone is ok, and that would be the main thing of course.
Virgin Atlantic