This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#796095 by vizbiz
21 Nov 2011, 15:11
Pure coincidence that this happens to be a virgin media cable problem, but suggestions to the following problem very welcome.

About a year ago, a loop of our neighbours virgin media cable (about a 2 foot length) surfaced on the path in front of our 2 properties, on our unmade and un-adopted road - the cable was never buried properly when it was laid as far as I could see.

Anyway, neighbour is not interested AT ALL in chasing virgin media and getting it buried by virgin as it doesn't inconvenice her whatsoever, however several people have tripped over it when walking up our unlit road. She's absolutely not bothered whether it's fixed or not. It's only a matter of time before someone hurts themselves badly, tripping over the cable.

Virgin media aren't interested in talking to us and won't deal with us, as we're not their customer, and despite calling various numbers, we cannot get Virgin to ANYTHING about it- they point blank refuse to deal with us.

To cap it all, the neighbour's put a bloody great red bollard partially over it, which as you can imagine looks lovely. Bollard also now blocks from driving straight of down the road. Neighbour is a bit odd, and has no sense of keeping property tidy, has had a broken down car parked in her drive for 5 years, garden a bit overgrown etc - that probably gives you an idea what we're dealing with.

Any suggestions on how to get the Neighbour, or Virgin Media
to take responsibility for this, and re-bury the cable properly - at the end of the day it's not my cable to bury - it's the property of virgin.

We're getting exasperated with trying to get this resolved.
#796097 by tontybear
21 Nov 2011, 15:49
Post something on their FaceBook page - that usually seams to get some action from companies.

The unmade road means the council can't get involved as it's not their road.

Other option might be the police as the road is being blocked by the bollard - not a 999 call obviously but do you have a neighbourhood police team?
#796109 by Slipperman
21 Nov 2011, 18:56
Oh, the temptation to say "cut the cable".....

I definitely wouldn't bury it yourself, because, as you say, it's not your responsibility and were you to damage it doing so, you can be sure Virgin Media would be after you!

I would try OFCOM, who deal with complaints against media companies. The safety issue should have them interested.
#796117 by RedVee
21 Nov 2011, 20:42
Who does the road belong to? I ask because someone had to have given Virgin Media permission to lay the cable in the first place and they should have some sort of legal agreement with Virgin Media. Normally there would be a covenant regarding maintenance.

I own the road leading to my house and two other properties. They have right of way and have to pay one third of the upkeep. But no one could dig it up without my consent.
#796128 by Hamster
22 Nov 2011, 02:13
Living on an un-adopted road, everything in front of the house, up to half way across the road is our responsibility. So if you're road is similar,

trip over it and sue your neighbour. :P
(joke)

some people around here wont fill in their pot holes until a threat of legal action comes through their letter box, usually from the council...

If it's also infront of your property I'm surprised Virgin Media wont do anything.
Virgin Atlantic