This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#800760 by thelaceys
23 Jan 2012, 18:57
Had an e-mail from Texaco Star Rewards today. They are changing how points are earned from 20th February. :(!

The current earning is 1 point per £1 spent, this is changing to 1 point per litre purchased. v(

A significant reduction in points that is n(

thelaceys
Last edited by thelaceys on 23 Jan 2012, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
#800764 by thelaceys
23 Jan 2012, 19:36
clarkeysntfc wrote:Wonder how this compares to tesco clubcard points on petrol and then converting them to FC miles?

No Tesco petrol stations round these parts and my awkward vehicle doesn't like Supermarket fuel :( so pay through the nose for Texaco :(!

thelaceys
#800772 by Miss G
23 Jan 2012, 20:19
thelaceys wrote:
clarkeysntfc wrote:Wonder how this compares to tesco clubcard points on petrol and then converting them to FC miles?

No Tesco petrol stations round these parts and my awkward vehicle doesn't like Supermarket fuel :( so pay through the nose for Texaco :(!

thelaceys

what sort of car do you drive? I thought all petrol was the same. I'm not ruining my new car by getting my petrol at Sainsburys am I?
#800773 by cooperman
23 Jan 2012, 20:30
Miss G wrote:
thelaceys wrote:

thelaceys

what sort of car do you drive? I thought all petrol was the same. I'm not ruining my new car by getting my petrol at Sainsburys am I?

I must dive into this thread as I've been in the petrol trade for most of my working life....good grief, I've just realised how long...never mind.

I should start a new thread (but maybe not on V-Flyer!)on all the different fuel grades and additives that make the difference between supermarket fuel and proper branded fuel...and why there is a BIG price difference.

The deal is that in my trade, you really do get what you pay for ...quality costs, as well as loyalty schemes. (Tesco/Texaco/Shell/BP etc) ...all fuel brands are not the same....for the sake of your expensive (or not) vehicle, be careful where you buy your fuel.

Paul
#800777 by cooperman
23 Jan 2012, 20:57
Miss G wrote:Blimey, so in your professional opinion, where is the best place?

I can't be drawn into any "best" recommendations on an "open" forum but be aware that supermarkets have to save money somewhere...best stick to a good, well known brand..there are 7 or 8 non supermarket brands and any one of them will give you a better quality product.

Now, if you asked me for my personal preference, I'd go Shell every time with a back up of B.P.if a Shell station wasn't nearby.

BTW, I don't work for any of the oil companies!!.
#800796 by northernhenry
23 Jan 2012, 22:27
Co wrote:
Miss G wrote:Blimey, so in your professional opinion, where is the best place?

I can't be drawn into any "best" recommendations on an "open" forum but be aware that supermarkets have to save money somewhere...best stick to a good, well known brand..there are 7 or 8 non supermarket brands and any one of them will give you a better quality product.

Now, if you asked me for my personal preference, I'd go Shell every time with a back up of B.P.if a Shell station wasn't nearby.

BTW, I don't work for any of the oil companies!!.

Thanks Co, very interesting... y)

As they say "every little helps..." :?
#800799 by David
23 Jan 2012, 22:37
Co wrote:I must dive into this thread as I've been in the petrol trade for most of my working life....good grief, I've just realised how long...never mind.

I should start a new thread (but maybe not on V-Flyer!)on all the different fuel grades and additives that make the difference between supermarket fuel and proper branded fuel...and why there is a BIG price difference.

The deal is that in my trade, you really do get what you pay for ...quality costs, as well as loyalty schemes. (Tesco/Texaco/Shell/BP etc) ...all fuel brands are not the same....for the sake of your expensive (or not) vehicle, be careful where you buy your fuel.

Paul

Absolutely agree 100%

David
#800853 by Alex V
24 Jan 2012, 12:44
Just to confirm that I 100% agree with the above statements by (co) that indeed shell and other non supermarket fuels are much better than the supermarket fuels.

I havent bought supermarket fuel for about 8 years and when i have too, what a difference it makes therefore i only put in £10 so i can lurch into a nearby shell.

plus i get avios for my spend which helps

cheers

alex
#800856 by Stevieboy
24 Jan 2012, 13:07
I'm interested in this as well, especially as I drive for a living.

Are we saying that you get less miles per gallon with supermarket fuel or are we saying that long term it could have an adverse effect on your engine.

Also does the above apply to diesel as well.

-Steve
#800857 by Alex V
24 Jan 2012, 13:11
northernhenry wrote:The difference being what?
Do you actually notice day to day?

I dont notice day to day as my tank takes 2 weeks to empty between fills, but with a small car i had once filling with shell/bp it got more mpg and ran smoother, now i have a bigger car the same applies. I coudnt go back now.

btw I find shell in particular very competitive and usually within a penny whereas bp always seems substantially more.

cheers

alex
#800869 by cooperman
24 Jan 2012, 14:15
Alex V wrote:
northernhenry wrote:The difference being what?
Do you actually notice day to day?

I dont notice day to day as my tank takes 2 weeks to empty between fills, but with a small car i had once filling with shell/bp it got more mpg and ran smoother, now i have a bigger car the same applies. I coudnt go back now.

btw I find shell in particular very competitive and usually within a penny whereas bp always seems substantially more.

cheers

alex

I knew I shouldn't have got involved in this one but as this industry is my passion, here goes.... :)

All oil based products come from miles below the Earth's crust and has to be refined into various usable products. 2 of these products are Petroleum Spirit (Petrol) and Heavy Fuel Oil (Diesel or Derv).
The actual refining process is the same throughout the World, regardless of which Oil Company or refinery processes it. The refining process then gives you a base product.
The base product can then be sold "as is" without any further refining or additives. This is the sort of product that supermarkets buy and re-sell without any additives and therefore no extra cost.

Now the major oil companies have realised, correctly in my view, that modern car engines need a more "complex" fuel in order to ensure emissions legislation is met and that engines are run without damage to the internal components. A good grade of engine lube oil is the main factor in keeping an engine in tip top condition but a good "burn" of the fuel also helps by preventing build up of carbon deposits and incorporating detergents in the fuel additive.

Some additives also boost the engines performance and whilst a more expensive product gives an overall better burn (Shell V Power, BP Ultimate and Esso Energy Supreme are examples of these higher grade fuels) their normal product range is superior to the supermarket juice.

In short, fuel without additives will probably damage engines quicker, albeit not too noticeable until a higher mileage has been reached. The fuel grades from the major oil companies gives your engine better protection against wear, helps keep emissions low and can result in a better fuel consumption.

Just to further confuse you...there are some joint marketing initiatives around the UK with Esso teaming up with Tesco and BP with Marks and Spencer. In these cases, the "proper" version of the oil companies fuel is supplied.

Phew..hope all that reads OK and answers the questions. |:)

Paul (AKA The Sad Fuel Geek)
#800872 by David
24 Jan 2012, 14:37
Co wrote:Paul (AKA The Sad Fuel Geek)

Lol :D

You can try this out for yourselfs. Fill up your car from empty with supermarket fuel and drive normally till its nearly empty, then take it to any one of the majors (Esso, Shell or BP for example) and fill again and repeat.

Make sure you record starting and finishing mileages each time and divide miles by the litres you put in at each filling, multiply by 4.546 to get your MPG and you will be VERY surprised at the results.

David
#800873 by FamilyMan
24 Jan 2012, 14:48
I'm really quite shocked at this - not sure why as very little shocks me now.

The prices are virtually the same - I could understand it if there was a significant difference in price but 1 or 2p per litre is nothing - and there I am thinking it was smart to shop for the cheapest.

Looks like someone should enlighten this lot.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

FM
#800874 by thelaceys
24 Jan 2012, 14:53
This has turned into a much different discussion than I had anticipated ;)

I drive a Fiat Ulysse and you all might remember a few years ago there was an issue with Supermarket fuel and cars breaking down. Unfortunately that is what happened to me.

My car would be tootling along happily and all of a sudden the engine would stop, cut out completely and I lost my power steering which left me with a very heavy vehicle doing 40 miles an hour along the road with no engine, limited breaking and steering......very frightening :0

I took it into the garage they discovered that it had damage due to the fuel I was using and it was very costly to have put right.

Ever since then I have only used 'proper' not Supermarket fuel and touch wood everything has been hunky dory y)

thelaceys
#800875 by cooperman
24 Jan 2012, 15:00
FamilyMan wrote:I'm really quite shocked at this - not sure why as very little shocks me now.

The prices are virtually the same - I could understand it if there was a significant difference in price but 1 or 2p per litre is nothing - and there I am thinking it was smart to shop for the cheapest.

Looks like someone should enlighten this lot.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

FM

Prices are the same as, unfortunately vehicle users throughout the World, buys fuel as a distress purchase so price rules the purchasing decision.

In the UK and most European countries, pricing is market lead and competition forces prices to a level that is usually equal throughout all fuel retailers.

Because of the competitive market, it is unfortunate that the main brands have a product cost which is higher than the supermarkets (due to the additives and extra refining) so they can't make as much profit for re-investment into their petrol stations.

Another, not well known fact, is that the normal margin achieved on litre of fuel is only between 2 and 3 pence...the Tax Man Takes 65% of the pump price.

The cost of the base product of fuel around the World is the same (its based on the $ per barrel oil price) what really stuffs is are the taxes that we are stung for here in Rip Off Britain.

Sorry rant over!

Paul (AKA The Tax Man's Best Mate...NOT)
#800877 by cooperman
24 Jan 2012, 15:16
thelaceys wrote:This has turned into a much different discussion than I had anticipated ;)

I drive a Fiat Ulysse and you all might remember a few years ago there was an issue with Supermarket fuel and cars breaking down. Unfortunately that is what happened to me.

My car would be tootling along happily and all of a sudden the engine would stop, cut out completely and I lost my power steering which left me with a very heavy vehicle doing 40 miles an hour along the road with no engine, limited breaking and steering......very frightening :0

I took it into the garage they discovered that it had damage due to the fuel I was using and it was very costly to have put right.

Ever since then I have only used 'proper' not Supermarket fuel and touch wood everything has been hunky dory y)

thelaceys

Amazing how threads can get convoluted!. But your unfortunate case does prove the point about low quality fuels.
I should have mentioned also that probably the main reason for the Texaco Stars being devalued is due to the high cost of the fuel products and the low margin that is being achieved by the retailer.
Where else would you invest £1.36 Plus VAT) to get a return of only 3 pence...that's less than 2% earnings...you'd be better off putting the money in the bank if it weren't for the other services sand facilities offered by a branded petrol station.

Paul (AKA The Financial Advisor to Petrol Retailers)
#801012 by astrovern
25 Jan 2012, 13:09

Here's a quick calculation:
To get 1000 FC miles thru Texaco you'll now need to buy 1000 litres of fuel.
1000 litres of fuel will cost about £1400.
Buy the same 1000 litres from Tesco and the £1400 spent will get you 700 Tesco Clubpoints.
700 Tesco Clubpoints = £7
At the rate of 625 FC miles per £2.50, £7 gives you 1750 FC miles.

1000 FC miles via Texaco = 1750 FC miles via Tesco

I've assumed the price of fuel is the same at Tesco & Texaco and that you can convert the entire £7 earned at Tesco in one transaction (rather than in batches of £2.50).
#802332 by MrT
09 Feb 2012, 08:32
David wrote:
Co wrote:Paul (AKA The Sad Fuel Geek)

Lol :D

You can try this out for yourselfs. Fill up your car from empty with supermarket fuel and drive normally till its nearly empty, then take it to any one of the majors (Esso, Shell or BP for example) and fill again and repeat.

Make sure you record starting and finishing mileages each time and divide miles by the litres you put in at each filling, multiply by 4.546 to get your MPG and you will be VERY surprised at the results.

David

Definitely - I once filled up at Tesco to use a 7p off per litre voucher. Saved about £2.50. The increased fuel consumption compared to my norm ended up costing about £7. So a net loss of about £5... And I drive very consistent journeys - a 120 mile round trip commute.

I only ever use Supermarket fuel in cars that are due to go lease return very soon or in rental cars.
Virgin Atlantic