This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#801427 by hat
29 Jan 2012, 11:15
just finished watching this documentary on BBC4 from last week. What an amazing story. I never realised that they were so instrumental in the development of the 747 & how previous to that, they used to cook all the meals on board from scratch!

It also struck me how that whole glamorous image is being used today by Virgin
#818301 by catcat24
29 Jul 2012, 20:51
I flew Pan AM 35 years ago to Boston, still remember that flight like it was yesterday, Fantastic! Never been on another flight like it everything from the roominess of the seats to the crew and the meals was first class. Travelling to Las Vegas next March with Virgin and dreading not having enough leg room!
#818304 by Concorde RIP
29 Jul 2012, 21:18
Yep, it was actually Pan Am that approached Boeing re building a bigger aircraft (Juan Tripp?).

I flew Pan Am once and thoroughly enjoyed it - such a shame they folded and all the circumstances surroonding that...

A great story...

And, did they start the maning of aircraft thing? Clipper......
#818336 by slinky09
30 Jul 2012, 07:51
Although Boeing had worked on the design for a military transporter with similar features to the 747 before Juan Trippe approached them, so some of the design was in place. Nevertheless, the B747 remains an amazing achievement.