This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#804535 by Elmo73
05 Mar 2012, 18:27
As regular visitors to the sunshine state, i'd have to say that all holidays there have been memorable. The one that stood out the most though, was in May 2009, when we got to see our 1st ever Shuttle launch ( STS-125)- a totally unforgettable experience.
#804545 by Hamster
05 Mar 2012, 20:49
Well so far, it has to be the first time I went to California.
UC to LAX, had an excellent flight, due to an amazing crew member.
Stayed one night at the Portofino Hotel, very nice and lovely to hear the Sea Lions.
Then we drove up route 1, worth the extra few hours for the views, to the big sur and stayed one night at the Ventanna Inn, again, great hotel, amazing location!
Then it was drive upto Yountville and stayed 3 nights at the Bardessono hotel, once again great hotel, staff were great. Great location for food!
Plenty of driving out to places like Putah Creek and Stinson Beach.
Then 4 nights at the Mandarin Oriental San Francisco. The most amazing suite, and a service to match.
Then it was return to London from SFO in UC.

Doing something similar this June, so I'm sure that will beat it.
(UC to MIA, 7 nights on Sanibel, 1 night W Ft Lauderdale, flight to SFO VX in F, 3 nights at Ventana, 3 nights at Bardessono and 5 nights MO SFO, then UC back to London)
But this trip made us come back a few times to SFO, also thinking about going again in September... Just love the place.
#804546 by CHill710
05 Mar 2012, 20:54
the best trip i have been on was a 'school trip' to Orlando back in 2003.
the secondary school i went to ran a trip overseas every year. this trip was my first trip abroad and therefore my first time in the states. the first time i had flown anywhere (flying LGW-ATL-MCO and back on DL) we flew out on boxing day and spent 14 hours in the magic kingdom on New Years eve 2003/4.

I enjoyed this trip so much I went back as staff 2 years later and spent new year 2005/6 in the magic kingdom with 2 coach loads of teenagers.
#804557 by pjh
05 Mar 2012, 23:16
A bit challenging - somewhat akin to asking which is your favourite child! In the spirit intended though (and definitely related to children)

1. A fortnight in Southwold with offspring when they were anklebiters, when tea on a tray on the beach and a bucket and spade could fill days...

2. The first trip to America in 1998, driving from Los Angeles and San Francisco and back, spending time in our friends' very cool house in Santa Monica. In Economy, but seat back TVs! Ice cream!

3. Our first post offspring road trip just as a couple from San Francisco up to Seattle

Paul

ps and an honourable mention to last year at the Edinburgh Festival
#804566 by catsilversword
06 Mar 2012, 07:04
I'm struggling to find one single one that was the best, but it strikes me that it really is the simplest things that make a difference. One year, it was a long drive along Turner Road (Something like that) - free, along the side of a river/canal and oozing with wildlife - crocs/alligators, snakes, birds. Brilliant. Another year - and also in Florida, we had a burrowing owl next on the empty lot next to us. Spent hours watching it and the tiny parent owls keeping watch over it.
#804613 by HWVlover
06 Mar 2012, 17:40
An 18-30 club holiday to Ibizia. I know it was good but cannot (or is it daren't?) remember why.

The North Esk, montrose. 50 salmon in 10 days, average weight 12lb+.

The Seychelles and out islands. Beautiful place and unspoilt. Some excellent deep sea fishing too.

Something tells me that my forthcoming trip to the Barrier Reef (44 days and counting!) is going to be SPECTACULAR.

PS. And my first honeymoon will probably always be the WORST holiday of my life. Not that the former Mrs HWV wasn't delightful but campylobacter does tend to do that for you. :$
#804635 by Princess Fiona
06 Mar 2012, 20:52
Had some fantastic holidays but the one really standing out is when we went to Cancun three years ago. Stayed in an amazing hotel, two weeks of just bliss. Great staff, wonderful food, sunshine, cocktails, a visit to the amazing Chichen Itza. Definitely the best holiday we've ever had y) Three years on and we still say to each other "remember the holiday in Cancun...."
#804660 by plane340
07 Mar 2012, 00:49
Back in May 1996.
I had one 1st prize in a raffle which consisted of a return economy flight for 2 (inc taxes etc) to any of AA's transatlantic destinations.
Fantastic I thought until I went to book LHR-LAX-LHR. I was told that the prize also included 5 internal/domestic flights with AA.
So after some thought, we booked:
1) LHR-JFK 2 nights B767
2) JFK-MIA-MCO 3 nights A300/B757
3) MCO-MIA-LAX 3 nights ATR/DC10
4) LAX-PHX 3 nights B757
5) PHX-LAS 3 nights B757
6) LAS-LAX-LHR B737/B767
We had such a great trip, I can remember most of the flights were not full so plenty of room (even in economy)
#804688 by Concorde RIP
07 Mar 2012, 11:06
Two very different holidays...

1994 - my father had just died, and the killing mortgage situation of the late 80s and early 90's were about over. Having just bought my first flat after leaving university, I had struggled for 2 or 3 years, virtually living off bread and water whilst earning a measly sum at BAE systems.
Anyway, 1994, and I departed for a 1 month tour of the US music capitals; Chicago, Austin, LA, Memphis, New Orleans etc. This was just me and my rucksack - young free and single, just turning up at airports and taking the next flight to somewhere that sounded interesting; arriving, asking cab drivers where the actio was, and so on.
1 month of my life I'll never forget, never repeat and probably shouldn't think about any more!

Apart from the family Disney trips, which have all been brilliant, I'd have to say our first holiday in Barbados goes down as my favourite as a family.
My expectations weren't that high - all inclusive worried me greatly, the Caribean had an image for me largely influenced by tales of Jamaica etc.
Well, it was the best - a little touch of paradise and some of the warmest people I've met in the world. That was 3 years ago in July, and October this year sees our 4th return to the same resort!!!
#804691 by easygoingeezer
07 Mar 2012, 12:04
My most recent one, A week in Santa Monica ( I had read only tacky undesirable people stat there on another place ) Was a little worried but loved it and my seafront room at Loews was great, fulfilled my wish to place flowers at MJs tomb. Hotel organised limo to cemetery. Then off to Vegas 1st class with V America, a week at the MO in a suite, OMG at the level of service there. Saw Celine twice in fab seats. Then off to New York, balcony suite at The Muse, breakfast on the terrace was so nice. Saw Wicked again in fab seats. Bumped in to ( literally ) Donald Sutherland on Maddisson, brushed passed Dustin Hofman at Times Square. Fantastic holiday and UCS flights.
Oh and we started off at Hotel 41 in London, highly reccommend this, they took us to Heathrow in a vintage Rolls Royce.
#804760 by Leanne
08 Mar 2012, 15:03
Aside from Wedding/honeymoon in Antigua 2006.

One would definitely be our city break to Chicago last year. It was a city that I wasn't that fussed about visiting, but fell in love with when we arrived. We had amazing weather, lovely hotel and a beautiful city location.

My other favourite beach holiday would be back to Antigua in 2007. Staying at Cocobay, the hotel is situated near one of the most beautiful beaches. We love it so much we're going back this year.
#804783 by pjh
08 Mar 2012, 23:44
Concorde RIP wrote:Anyway, 1994, and I departed for a 1 month tour of the US music capitals; Chicago, Austin, LA, Memphis, New Orleans etc. This was just me and my rucksack - young free and single, just turning up at airports and taking the next flight to somewhere that sounded interesting; arriving, asking cab drivers where the actio was, and 1 month of my life I'll never forget, never repeat and probably shouldn't think about any more!

So jealous of that! Not only the music cities - which is enough for me - but also the pitching up at an airport and thinking "mmmm...where next?"

easygoingeezer wrote:My most recent one, A week in Santa Monica ( I had read only tacky undesirable people stat there on another place )

Never quite understood how people think that, particularly when compared to the rest of LA.

easygoingeezer wrote:We started off at Hotel 41 in London, highly reccommend this, they took us to Heathrow in a vintage Rolls Royce.

Now how great is that?

Leanne wrote:One would definitely be our city break to Chicago last year. It was a city that I wasn't that fussed about visiting, but fell in love with when we arrived. We had amazing weather, lovely hotel and a beautiful city location.

Agreed. A much underrated destination. After an initial family visit, both offspring made sure they revisited when making trips across the USA.
Virgin Atlantic