This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#805216 by worc0670
14 Mar 2012, 13:06
Hmmm, me too. I expect the PM flies First though. Watched Cameron pretending to enjoy the basketball last night with Obama. The boy from Eton just can't look relaxed in such company.
#805221 by Hev60
14 Mar 2012, 13:51
Well cetainly not after the quote from SRB quoted on here recently..

"Sir Richard Branson has revealed that Virgin Atlantic would invest up to £5bn in the UK if the Government reversed its "incredibly damaging" block on any expansion at Heathrow.

So from now on its BA, BA or BA who get the cut of those government expenses :D :D
#805239 by Concorde RIP
14 Mar 2012, 15:04
Maybe they tried, but the booking engine fell over?

"We're sorry, but our booking engine is crap, and to be honest, we'd rather you booked with our competitor, who is much bigger than us afterall, and we're not so different anymore that it's worth bothering.
Please try later (if you can be arsed)."
#805242 by tontybear
14 Mar 2012, 15:08
northernhenry wrote:Noticed PM arrived in Washington via BA? Thought they had contract with VS?

VS lost the contract so it's all BA now.

This is despite this from one of our beloved leaders (soon to be ex) senior advisors
#805281 by Hamster
14 Mar 2012, 20:35
Scrooge wrote:From what I understand, the PM etc travel on a flight by flight contract, meaning there is no long term contract.

That's what I have heard too, I have heard that a few Gov officials have been on VS in the past few weeks, some on BA, and some on others. I think its down to the timing, route and price each airline offers.
#805309 by pjh
14 Mar 2012, 23:04
Darren Wheeler wrote:Bet it wasn't in Y

"We're all in this together...."

You misheard..."You're all in this together..."
#805334 by Tinuks
15 Mar 2012, 09:29
I don't know why you lot are complaining. Where I'm from government officials travel in F all the time with an entourage of about 25 strong in F or J and a few minions in Y. When they don't do this, they charter luxury private jets
#805339 by pjh
15 Mar 2012, 09:55
Tinuks wrote:I don't know why you lot are complaining. Where I'm from government officials travel in F all the time with an entourage of about 25 strong in F or J and a few minions in Y. When they don't do this, they charter luxury private jets

To misquote "The Thick of It", we'd rather our public servants living in caves sitting on upturned KFC buckets....
#805346 by flyingfox
15 Mar 2012, 10:50
Government travel policy is so fragmented and disjointed, we were told last year that effective April 11 all bookings were to be made via one of 2 new suppliers that tendered via GPS (Government Procurement Service) to provide central booking functions for hotels, cars, rail, sea and air. However a number of departments/budget holders who were issued the Government Procurement Cards received confirmation that we could either use the central booking service or book direct and charge it. And in regards to airlines we were stuck with BA however once this new SLA was deployed last year they book the cheapest fare for the class you are entitled to fly with a rather longer list of suppliers. With regards to private charter that's yet another travel policy that is so grey I dont even think its actually in writing! ii)
#805427 by Tinuks
16 Mar 2012, 05:34
pjh wrote:
Tinuks wrote:I don't know why you lot are complaining. Where I'm from government officials travel in F all the time with an entourage of about 25 strong in F or J and a few minions in Y. When they don't do this, they charter luxury private jets

To misquote "The Thick of It", we'd rather our public servants living in caves sitting on upturned KFC buckets....

Surely not. What would happen to all their residences that taxpayers' money paid for?
#805430 by Guest
16 Mar 2012, 08:12
The arrangement VS and BA have with the Government is actually quite cheap to the tax payer. The PM and his staff only pay for full Y class tickets, but are subsequently automatically upgraded - its not as if they all fork out for a full J.

I find it a little strange why some people on here question why the PM ought not to travel in J class, or F - he is the leader of our countries government after all. Can't very well expect him to arrive at a destination and meet other world leaders after slumming it down the back for 8 hours.
#805460 by tontybear
16 Mar 2012, 16:54
ASWinters744 wrote:
I find it a little strange why some people on here question why the PM ought not to travel in J class, or F - he is the leader of our countries government after all. Can't very well expect him to arrive at a destination and meet other world leaders after slumming it down the back for 8 hours.

Yet they expect (indeed demand) civil servants to travel in Y and then carry out meetings etc etc etc when they arrive.

I thought 'we are all in this together' ??
#805464 by Guest
16 Mar 2012, 18:47
tontybear wrote:
ASWinters744 wrote:

Yet they expect (indeed demand) civil servants to travel in Y and then carry out meetings etc etc etc when they arrive.

Sounds like the sort of rubbish Labour trots out at every oppertunity.

Won't ever see your point of view, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
#805470 by Miss G
16 Mar 2012, 20:45
ASWinters744 wrote:The arrangement VS and BA have with the Government is actually quite cheap to the tax payer. The PM and his staff only pay for full Y class tickets, but are subsequently automatically upgraded - its not as if they all fork out for a full J.

I agree actually, wouldn't we rather be a laughing stock in the international community as well if we sent him in economy every where, especially as many countries have private planes for their leaders.
#805472 by rich1664
16 Mar 2012, 22:44
Had a horrible thought that he might be on the same flight as me out of New York tonight as he was here yesterday, but I think he left via Washington.

Phew.
#805473 by tontybear
16 Mar 2012, 23:18
ASWinters744 wrote:
tontybear wrote:
ASWinters744 wrote:

Sounds like the sort of rubbish Labour trots out at every oppertunity.

Won't ever see your point of view, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Actually it was Cameron who said 'we are all in this together' and said public servants (of which he as PM is one) should not travel in business or first class so surely what's sauce for the goose ?
#805475 by Guest
17 Mar 2012, 00:11
I don't disagree that he said that - but as I pointed out, they don't actually pay full J class fares, no senior government official does. The duly elected leader of this countries government - regardless of political party - is entitled to travel in a manner which befits the office.

Would be far easier to simply have a 346 or two, rather than relying on commercial aircraft.
Virgin Atlantic