This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#806758 by David
02 Apr 2012, 20:12
I realise there are a few techy / gadget fans here so wondering if any one has any preferences for media streaming device.

I have a nas drive set up on a wired network already which is primarily used to connect to my sonos toys (which are fantastic y) ) but am now looking to add some blu ray films to the same nas to stream to the tv's in the house.

One tv is able to see nas drive, so no problem there but am looking for a media streaming device (wired) which will display 1080p to connect to the other tv's.

Anybody any recommendations ?

Thanks

David
#806773 by Pete
03 Apr 2012, 06:38
I was reading one of those tech mags in the dentist the other day, and it seemed to be of the opinion that the Boxee box is where it's at. I'm an Apple TV user myself, and although that's just got the 1080p upgrade, I don't think that would be much use with your NAS.
#806775 by honey lamb
03 Apr 2012, 07:19
Pete wrote:I was reading one of those tech mags in the dentist the other day, and it seemed to be of the opinion that the Boxee box is where it's at. I'm an Apple TV user myself, and although that's just got the 1080p upgrade, I don't think that would be much use with your NAS.

Ah, but Pete, if you were reading it at the dentist's, it was probably saying that the Sinclair ZX80 is the cutting edge of technology :o)
#806776 by Darren Wheeler
03 Apr 2012, 07:56
Apple TV in out-the-box setup won't be much good, but a little ingenuity and a jailbreak application with mean you can access a NAS drive and play most media formats.

*Disclaimer. Jailbreaking your Apple TV will invalidate your warranty os do so at your own risk, blah blah... ;) *
#806777 by stevebrass
03 Apr 2012, 07:57
honey lamb wrote:
Pete wrote:I was reading one of those tech mags in the dentist the other day, and it seemed to be of the opinion that the Boxee box is where it's at. I'm an Apple TV user myself, and although that's just got the 1080p upgrade, I don't think that would be much use with your NAS.

Ah, but Pete, if you were reading it at the dentist's, it was probably saying that the Sinclair ZX80 is the cutting edge of technology :o)

You mean it isn't? Is there now an upgrade available?
#807652 by jh71283
13 Apr 2012, 18:34
I have a mini pc called the Zotac Mag, running XBMC.

It's fantastic, will handle any media format that I have thrown at it!

1080p is no problem for it either.

Just make sure to get a NVidia Ion version, I am not sure how well the non ion ones handle hi def.
#807654 by jh71283
13 Apr 2012, 18:36
Oh, and after trying the various smaller devices like popcorn hour and xtreamer, I still went with the mini pc route.

The XBMC interface is just Light years ahead of the others at the moment.
#807669 by ratechaser
13 Apr 2012, 20:03
Given that I'm a home entertainment luddite (with the sole exception of a decent 50 inch panasonic plasma I got a couple of years back), this thread is starting to scare me. I was about to dive in and get the new Apple TV box on the assumption I could just use it to stream anything that my kids are looking at on the computer or their iPods. Should I be looking at an alternative? Does airplay deal with a lot of the older threads I see advocating jailbreaking?

Oh, and you'll laugh, I actually have an IT related job, but if you think of me more as the 'pointy haired boss' from Dilbert, that might help explain what are probably quite naïve questions!

Ta muchly for any layman's advice people would like to offer!

RC
#807674 by jh71283
13 Apr 2012, 20:51
Apple tv will happily act as a streamer for other IOS devices, I.e. you can play a video from your iPhone via apple tv.

Jail breaking will invalidate warranties etc, but it's the only way to get some of the media playing apps installed.

XBMC can be installed on a jainbroken apple tv for instance.
#807826 by AlanA
15 Apr 2012, 16:01
I am a "Belt & Braces" guy LOL.
I have my blu ray media stored as MKV files on the hard drive, I then strwam to my Laptop via plug in ethernet routers, giving me 100mb stream, I then run a HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV.

told you it was belt and braces LOL
#808425 by jodash
20 Apr 2012, 16:36
I use Apple TV handy bit of kit,and the grandchildren (15 month old twins)love watching pictures or playing games on my Ipad showing on the big TV
Virgin Atlantic