This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#813622 by sunsational
12 Jun 2012, 23:37
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on buying a new laptop?
I do not use it for downloading music or films or playing games. Therefore I will not need a whizzybizzy one.

What I would like is at least 4gb, webcam and at least a 14" screen, and to cost as little as possible. :| It will be mainly used for documents and emails. As you may have gathered I'm not very techy :?

Any recommendations will be much appreciated. y)

Thanks,

Karen
#813626 by mswadley
13 Jun 2012, 00:07
I've had two Apple MacBooks and would swear by them. Easy to use, reliable, look great but certainly don't cost as little as possible!

Have you thought of an iPad if only using for documents and emails?
#813644 by slinky09
13 Jun 2012, 06:41
For ease of use I'd also go for a Mac, they're not the cheapest, but are much more competitive nowadays. I love my MacBook Air.
#813654 by DragonLady
13 Jun 2012, 08:54
slinky09 wrote:For ease of use I'd also go for a Mac, they're not the cheapest, but are much more competitive nowadays. I love my MacBook Air.

I have really struggled with Macs despite trying desperately (much to Mr DL and Dragonbaby's amusement/ frustration ?| ). For my day to day tinkering (I too am not technological sunsational and don't download music etc etc) I've recently replaced my HP laptop with a 15" Dell - not swanky I know, but it does exactly what I want (and need) at a reasonable price. Mine was around the £400 mark but they do offers cheaper versions.
DL
#813676 by Needsomesun
13 Jun 2012, 12:52
Hi, if price is critical and your are used to windows value for money probably means a Dell. They are solid if unspectacular and Dell's pricing is spot on. I would avoid the cheaper brands but an HP laptop might be an option. An ipad would probably cover most of the things you need (depends on how you like the virtual keyboard). I would go for the entry level Macbook Air (11') and consider buying one of their refurbished stock. The recent upgrades should see some deals here. Refurbished stock covered by the same warranty as new and they are all fully tested and I have not had any problems going this route. Good luck
#813679 by tontybear
13 Jun 2012, 13:10
I have a Toshiba. Got it from PC World. I went into one of their branches and had a look at the ones they had available. Took some notes on the RAM, speed, screen size, price etc then went back home and did some more research.

Then I went back there as it was cheapest. Just have to resist their attempts to sell all the extras. At one point I just said to the salesman "just tick the boxes that you tried to sell me the extras but if you don't be quiet I'm walking out"
#813681 by Neil
13 Jun 2012, 13:54
Needsomesun wrote:Hi, if price is critical and your are used to windows value for money probably means a Dell. They are solid if unspectacular and Dell's pricing is spot on. I would avoid the cheaper brands but an HP laptop might be an option. An ipad would probably cover most of the things you need (depends on how you like the virtual keyboard). I would go for the entry level Macbook Air (11') and consider buying one of their refurbished stock. The recent upgrades should see some deals here. Refurbished stock covered by the same warranty as new and they are all fully tested and I have not had any problems going this route. Good luck

While I adore my MBA, and it is fantastic as a second machine (although it is the one I use the most), it isn't great if it is going to be a households only PC/Laptop. No disk drive, no SD card reader slots, 11" is quite a small screen, so it can be quite limited depending on what you want to do.

For the OP, it sounds like a mid range windows machine would be more than good enough. I would avoid buying some of the really cheaper deal ones out there, not that they are bad machines but the specs aren't usually great and will probably need replacing after a couple of years (or will be running woefully slow). The good news is there are a few decent machines out there that would suit the general every day usage for around the £450/500 level.
#813687 by mitchja
13 Jun 2012, 15:06
Also don't go for one of those cheap small netbooks as they are not designed to do anything more than surf the web. Don't go smaller than a 13" display.

Also don't go the other way either. Remember a laptop is supposed to be portable and light weight so a laptop with a massive 17" display isn't going to be as portable as a laptop with a 13" screen. Bigger screens also consume more battery power too.
#813701 by sunsational
13 Jun 2012, 18:38
Thanks everyone,

As per usual I didn't really give enough info, I already have a 10" netbook, an ipad, 2 Dell laptops, and a PC.

My 17" HP laptop conked, so I need a 15-17" screen (I have no idea why I put 14" in the original post) as the others (barring the PC) are between 10" and 13", I do prefer a big one when at home. I won't need to take it abroad, so won't be carrying it anywhere (apart from in the house).

After having this lot you would think I would know what to look for! :#
#813704 by jodash
13 Jun 2012, 19:01
Bought the wife a Samsung RV520 ok for what she uses it for and a good price
#813943 by Spill
15 Jun 2012, 20:10
Have a look at the latest run od ultrabooks.
Some look as well as the mac books and you will have the compatibility of windows.
#813960 by MrT
15 Jun 2012, 22:53
Spill wrote:Have a look at the latest run od ultrabooks.
Some look as well as the mac books and you will have the compatibility of windows.

I'm waiting for the Dell XPS 13 to come down in price!
#813972 by Jacki
16 Jun 2012, 05:17
Just bought a Vaio Z for the office (it's a fruit free zone) but love my Macbook Pro at home.
#832824 by sunsational
19 Dec 2012, 20:09
Hi again,

I ended up with a Toshiba, now I need to buy another laptop as a present, 13-15", min 4-6 RAM, has anyone seen any bargains anywhere £400 and under, and what makes (apart from Apple) are the more reliable etc?

Many thanks,

Karen
#832852 by tontybear
20 Dec 2012, 00:17
sunsational wrote:Hi again,

I ended up with a Toshiba, now I need to buy another laptop as a present, 13-15", min 4-6 RAM, has anyone seen any bargains anywhere £400 and under, and what makes (apart from Apple) are the more reliable etc?

Many thanks,

Karen

I recently bought a Lenovo from PC world that meets those requirements. I'll get the actual specs fir you to tomorrow but it was £299.99 which I was happy with (plus there was a shops away bonus miles offer too!)
#832880 by tontybear
20 Dec 2012, 11:56
Sorry they stopped selling 'my' particular model but PC world has one with a 15" screen, 6GBRAM and 1TB memory for £ 399 or one with a 4GB Ram for £349

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-g5 ... 1-pdt.html

Worth checking in their usual post Xmas sale though
#832977 by sunsational
21 Dec 2012, 16:58
Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated.

If I was to choose between the two below, which would be the better option? (Or neither). Do they have blue tooth, I can't find anything to say yes or no. :|

Both are under £400

HP Pavilion g6-2244sa 15.6" Laptop

•AMD E2-1800 processor
•Windows® 8
•Memory: 8 GB
•Hard drive: 1 TB
•Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7340

LENOVO G580 15.6" Laptop
•Intel® Celeron® B830 processor
•Windows® 8
•Memory: 4 GB
•Hard drive: 1 TB

If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen y)
#832980 by sunsational
21 Dec 2012, 17:34
I'm bad enough with laptops, don't confuse me with with cars, I thought AR's were supposed to be OK.

The laptop wouldn't be used for gaming, mainly invoicing and surfing on the go and storing photos, if that makes any difference.
#832982 by RLF
21 Dec 2012, 18:17

Many thanks,

Karen

I bought a couple of Toshibas with this spec for work from Staples £329 which we are very pleased with I think everything is shipping now with Windows 8 which is fine when you get used to it...
#832991 by sunsational
21 Dec 2012, 21:43
RLF wrote:

Many thanks,

Karen

I bought a couple of Toshibas with this spec for work from Staples £329 which we are very pleased with I think everything is shipping now with Windows 8 which is fine when you get used to it...

Which models? thanks,
Virgin Atlantic