This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#814652 by Wi25
23 Jun 2012, 05:31
Being a child of the space race era, my ultimate dream was to see a launch. Being from a poor background this remained a dream. In 2005 I saved enough to take myself and my "wife to be" to Orlando and booked a VIP seat for a shuttle launch. It was delayed so I missed it. We watched it from International Drive. I had booked a meal and couldn't attend the rearranged launch - such is love.

That said, I have booked Orlando yet again. There is a launch of an Atlas rocket at 4am. I am armed with many cameras and am just about to book a hotel at Cocoa Beach. Does anyone have any experience of minor rocket launches? Can anyone shed light onto best practices?

I shall not be booking a meal this time, we are now married and my poor wife feels guilty that I missed my dream. I have to say - I would still book that meal
#814655 by buns
23 Jun 2012, 06:34
I have been fortunate in getting tickets to see a shuttle launch at the Kennedy Space Centre and as a child of the 60's and the moon landings it was a fantastic experience.

However, I have also witnessed a shuttle launch from a hotel balcony in St Pete Beach on the West Coast,

So provided the launch actually takes place (and NASA are notorious for for rescheduling) then you will see it from almost anywhere in Florida

buns
#814734 by Wi25
23 Jun 2012, 20:00
It was amazing from IDrive, but I want to be a little closer and a little luckier this time. This will be my last trip until they start launching people back into space.
#815016 by woggledog
26 Jun 2012, 13:14
I've watched an atlas launch from within Kennedy itself whilst it was open?

Also saw a shuttle launch in the night. Parked up on either The merritT island causeway (heading west) or the Bennett causeway.

However, anywhere on the beaches around Titusville should be perfect.

[url]goo.gl/maps/XCRo[/url]
#815076 by craigmonster
26 Jun 2012, 20:51
Saw STS125 Atlantis from Kennedy - amazing. Stood in the sun for 4 hours but well worth it.

I really want to see something massive go up - like the Saturn V - but don't know if this will ever happen again. Like Concord - feels like we're moving backwards...

Check the Kennedy Space Centre website - you may be able to get real close?
#815085 by Spill
26 Jun 2012, 21:22
I saw a night shuttle launch a few years ago. Probably the most amazing sight I have ev seen. We were lucky enough to get special access with the press. Amazing.
I am not sure about hotels, but Titusville is a great spot to view.
#815161 by Wi25
27 Jun 2012, 18:55
Thanks one and all. The launch I wanna see will be on Aug 23 at 4am. The difficulty is that very few places will be available at that time and I was considering staying over at Cocoa beach. I don't know whether driving around at that time in the morning would be a wise thing to do, or even going to the beach for an uninterrupted view. Just about to choose a hotel at Cocoa - bet I get a room facing the wrong way - just my luck!
#815174 by buns
27 Jun 2012, 20:03
Wi25 wrote:Thanks one and all. The launch I wanna see will be on Aug 23 at 4am. The difficulty is that very few places will be available at that time and I was considering staying over at Cocoa beach. I don't know whether driving around at that time in the morning would be a wise thing to do, or even going to the beach for an uninterrupted view. Just about to choose a hotel at Cocoa - bet I get a room facing the wrong way - just my luck!

Now I know my experience goes back to a shuttle launch, but the were plenty of police manned check points along the 528 to turn away those who did not have tickets for KSC

This is the NASA Link

buns
Last edited by buns on 27 Jun 2012, 20:06, edited 1 time in total. Reason: To tidy up link
#815225 by Wi25
28 Jun 2012, 04:56
Thanks buns.
I get enough strange looks and questions this side of the pond when rushing around at strange hours trying to get some pics of celestial objects - I can't imagine what the bail would be to spring me from a Florida cell. I hope I can get a room with a view and that I don't disturb other guests at some ungodly hour. This is the reason I am asking for advice.
Virgin Atlantic