This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#816534 by Sealink
12 Jul 2012, 00:12
And I need some advice.

I am currently dusting off my CV, as after six weeks with her I can barely cope.
She is the 4th new boss I have had in the 9 years at my current employer, yet, I want to tell the director of the department that "I could have 'jumped' when you said jump for far less money."

There are three supervisors reporting to her, and 22 agents reporting to us.

One has been in the job for ten years and knows the market like the back of his hand. He is considered and researches things before providing his analysis and opinion. I am wary of giving specific examples but today she insisted that "A happened because B said so". My colleague asked "Have you verified that?". Her answer "You don't need to verify it, you can tell that it's right." He looked at the data and she was totally wrong.

Any feedback myself or my colleague offers is dismissed with a 'you're just closed minded'. Her ideas for the department were rejected by the previous boss years ago, yet are now being pushed by her, despite the amazing results my previous boss achieved.

She has introduced a roster for going for a coffee break, which the team cannot understand and now refuse to co-operate because they feel they are not trusted to manage their time. Calls are lower than anytime in the last two years, with a bigger team, yet abandoned calls are higher, as the team is working to the break rota, whereas before they would look at how busy the office was before doing anything.

Describing a potential disciplinary hearing she said "We can get him on this". You shouldn't know the result of a disciplinary before it starts.

She has been here for six weeks and has yet to pronounce any of her agents names correctly. She has yet to send an email that does not have a spelling or grammar error, yet bemoans a so-called lack of 'attention to detail' in the teams work.

She then, in front of the Director, described how amazing Colleague 3 had been in really tackling a problem. Colleague 3 spends her day looking at DailyMail.com, talking about her wedding and asking us for help. Which we happily gave, but it seems that it's at our detriment to do that.

I am not happy. Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing?
#816536 by tontybear
12 Jul 2012, 00:18
v( v( v(

Oh Billy

Will send you a more considered response but basically at the moment all you and your team can do is properly document responses to her proposals and do as you are all told when it comes to breaks.
#816538 by Sealink
12 Jul 2012, 00:22
That's what I thought.

The break roster is a disaster, but if it doesn't work it is because it has not been monitored correctly, rather than it removing discretion from the team.
#816556 by pjh
12 Jul 2012, 08:50
Just sent you a PM.
#816638 by catsilversword
13 Jul 2012, 05:48
Hi Sealink,

Been in a similar situation myself for the past 6 months. A new manager, who is very young - of course, that's no problem in itself, but she truly does lack experience in the field and her people skills aren't great either. And yes, have all all kinds of things imposed that were not previously there, and which are totally irrelevant and a little insulting in some ways.

But - what can you do? The chances are that your new person will not stay that long - I say this as it's something that seems to happen regularly - and hope the next manager is more pragmatic. I know, I know, I really do know how it makes you feel :(
#816762 by jwhite9185
14 Jul 2012, 15:50
catsilversword wrote: The chances are that your new person will not stay that long - I say this as it's something that seems to happen regularly

I've seen it too - the supervisors I've had who get on with people lasted much longer than the ones that upset everybody.
#816783 by catsilversword
14 Jul 2012, 19:37
It's pretty upsetting at times. Many of us have tried to make suggestions or alternatives and have been stonewalled. I find it incredible that some individuals are appointed as they are. I really don't know the answer sealink, you could potentially get another job and find things no better, you just can't tell.
#816787 by Petmadness
14 Jul 2012, 20:14
The shortsightedness of some high level managers to appoint these individuals with no people skills, poor listening skills, a lack of ability to develop their team just astounds and infuriates me!! Good luck Sealink
#827426 by Sealink
18 Oct 2012, 17:03
Update:

She told the team that supervisors would be working weekends.

Told them before telling us.
#827433 by stevebrass
18 Oct 2012, 17:40
My son works for a well known document storage company. He and his colleagues were beavering away last week, when a senior manager waltzed in with some visitors.

"of course" she says to her visitors, "we are outsourcing all the work here soon".
#827438 by Petmadness
18 Oct 2012, 18:54
Sealink wrote:Update:

She told the team that supervisors would be working weekends.

Told them before telling us.

Oh dear n( Sounds like it is not getting any better for you Sealink v(

Lets hope that someone sees the light soon and does the right thing :0
#827440 by RachelCox
18 Oct 2012, 18:59
Don't know what you do exactly or what sort of advice you've had previously but does your contract allow for such a change?

I'm in HR so if you think I can help PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
#827443 by Sealink
18 Oct 2012, 20:05
Thank you so much, I think the contract does allow for it, with a 'needs of the business' proviso. Just not happy with how it was introduced.
#827454 by ratechaser
18 Oct 2012, 22:35
Sealink wrote:Thank you so much, I think the contract does allow for it, with a 'needs of the business' proviso. Just not happy with how it was introduced.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm NOT an HR professional, however in my position, I spend a lot of time working with my HR department and am very familiar with the '9 to 5 or such hours as may be needed' type clause.

Now, it may be because I work for a very large financial institution, to which any industrial tribunal would take an immediate dislike (ignoring the fact that there will always be a percentage of people that enjoy nothing more than playing the system) - but the strong advice I have always got from HR is that if there is going to be an expectation of a significant or long term change to working hours from the 'core' ones stated in your contract, then that really requires a negotiated change in your employment contract.

Just what I have experienced on the other side of the fence (i.e. as one of those slave driving bosses...)

RC
#827455 by DocRo
19 Oct 2012, 00:36
I apologise about the cliches coming up but good managers prove their worth in difficult times by winning "Hearts and Minds". They need to get their lieutenants to recognise the need for change and involve then in designing the processes to achieve improvement. There is nearly always great value in the experience of those who know the market which must be appreciated by any newcomer unless the present system is totally dysfunctional.
It could be worse- i work and manage in the public sector where the politicians and the Daily Mail know it all and understand nothing beyond the next three news stories. Short termism is my main bugbear and a funding system which does not encourage proper planning for the future for fear of criticism.
#827465 by RachelCox
19 Oct 2012, 08:36
Agree with ratechaser, I haven't seen your contract and staff handbook but if you've worked under one system for a long time regardless of whether there is some form of contractual clause allowing the company to change your hours for the needs of the business they should definitely consult with you.

Obviously you may fear rocking the boat so with situations like this you want to choose your battles carefully but it sounds to me that one thing after the other is adding up to a miserable place to work and an unhappy Sealink.
Virgin Atlantic