This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#817139 by Petmadness
18 Jul 2012, 19:14
Bought Mrs P a Kindle Touch before they came out over here for $89 from Target. Only minor issue she came across is that you could only download books directly to the Kindle from Amazon.com and not amazon.co.uk.This is easy to overcome by downloading from Amazon.co.uk on your laptop then syncing your Kindle with the laptop - Simples y)

A great piece of kit :D
#817153 by Bill S
18 Jul 2012, 21:52
Also have an early K Touch from the US.

No problem downloading direct from Amazon.co.UK - you just change the registration as required in your profile.
#817172 by catsilversword
19 Jul 2012, 05:40
Again, thanks. My daughter has asked for one for her birthday - she clearly knows me better than I thought, as she dropped into the conversation that they're cheaper in the US - and maybe I'd want to get one on my next trip!
#818396 by catsilversword
31 Jul 2012, 06:13
I just had a thought - I'd need to make sure it works after I buy it and before giving it as a gift. Is it possible to change to UK settings after the initial sign-on?
#818407 by katie666
31 Jul 2012, 11:02
I got a basic kindle with special offers in April at Best Buy for $79. I got a $20 voucher with it which went towards a case. I also bought the new Kindle fire for my son for $199 also at Best Buy (I missed the $20 voucher offer on that one). My kindle had a USB lead but the Fire had a US mains lead which would need a US-UK adapter for charging. My son had a basic kindle so he uses the lead from that to transfer stuff.

Katie
#818503 by catsilversword
01 Aug 2012, 05:37
Thanks Katie. I get the bit about a US-UK adaptor, and fortunately, I already have on e for a camera I bought there. I was more wondering about turning it on to try it out/register in in the US - I need to make sure it works before I come home - but then if I do that, presumably I have to register it in the US so I was wondering if I can change the settings in my profile after that or if I'll be stuck with US settings?
#818504 by katie666
01 Aug 2012, 06:12
My husband registered his basic kindle while we were in the US. I switched my son's on to make sure it worked but then I think there must have been an option to register later as I know that I didn't register it. It did connect to the wifi in the villa so I was happy that it was OK & switched it off again. My son registered it at my house in the UK.

Katie
#819973 by Bill S
15 Aug 2012, 13:01
Sorry - should have replied earlier.
Under Kindle Menu, select Settings then Registration.
If you have already registered, you are then given the option "Deregister your Kindle". After deregistering, you can register your Kindle to another Amazon account.

I swap back and forward depending upon which country I'm in - take advantage of cheaper prices and availability that can be limited to one country. In effect you get a different Kindle Store depending upon the account. I suspect you could swap over without actually being there but not tried it. When you go to "Manage your Kindle" on either Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com, it detects the country currently (Kindle) registered and redirects you to that.
Virgin Atlantic