This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#820084 by thelaceys
16 Aug 2012, 10:59
So this is the dilemma.

I have an MBNA VA Amex upon which I once had PPI and unbeknown to me as I was self employed, I would not have been able to claim on it :(! , so when I found out I cancelled the PPI.

I am wondering if it is worth my while making a claim to get my payments back. I have been reading a blog by Martin Lewis and he recommends claiming but I also notice that in some cases the card company cancels the card, pays the money out and just uses it to clear the balance.

Now that's fine with me if they want to clear my balance, but horror of horrors if they were to cancel my card, after all that's what I use to build up my Flying Club miles and I just must have it. :0

Has anyone ever gone through this process and has anyone had their card cancelled in the process. :(

What to do should I take the risk ?| :?

thelaceys
#820090 by Darren Wheeler
16 Aug 2012, 11:25
I thought the FOS had said they would come down hard on any bank that closed an account because of a PPI claim.

I'm currently in a battle with Mint/RBS over PPI. Seems they cannot find any record, even though I have given them account details, amounts etc.

Best advise I can give is persevere.
#820093 by Sealink
16 Aug 2012, 11:30
Not PPI but I reclaimed unlawful bank charges from Alliance and Leicester and Cahoot. A&L sent me a snooty letter saying "since you are unwilling or unable to operate your account to our terms and conditions we have closed your account". So it is a possibility, however, PPI miss-selling has been accepted by the banks, while they continue to challenge unlawful charnges. I think if you are a regular user they would rather have your future business anyway.

Cahoot did not do this and am still with them.

MBNA is withdrawing from the UK, although accounts will end up with another operator.
#820387 by MrT
19 Aug 2012, 13:05
I'd go for it - especially if we're talking £££ or ££££s. If they close your account, just do what I did when they didn't want to open a black a/c for me since I already had a white a/c - open it in your partner's name (with ther consent of course)!
#820442 by Silver Fox
20 Aug 2012, 03:00
Anything you can do to get your hands on the money that the thieving bankers have had to set aside is fine. Otherwise they will just use it when they place their next bets and lose. and at bonus time. Good luck, I hope you get something.
Virgin Atlantic