This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#823901 by Ian6969
14 Sep 2012, 09:08
I must admit I've never understood why people seem so keen on Apple devices, I've always thought they are extremely overpriced. My Mrs has an Iphone 4s and I must admit, I've always thought that it's s**t. Just my opinion, before I get flammed by all the Apple zombies :D and from from ready the specs of the new iphone, I can't see anything in it to make me want one when my contract is due at the beginning of November.
I will admit that the Ipad, does on paper look like the best current tablet, BUT and imho is a huge BUT, the price......it's like nearly double most of the other machines.
I just find all the Apple hard wear way over priced and Apple are sods for price fixing.....they force the mobile companies to fix their prices. I wouldn't mind too much of their gear was the best you can get, which I think it most certainly isn't...more a case of VHS verus Betamax.

I'm sure I'm going to get flack for this post and loads of people saying....you know nothing, but it's just my opinion and I was really hoping that the i5 would prove me wrong...
#823908 by joeyc
14 Sep 2012, 09:47
Ian6969 wrote:I'm sure I'm going to get flack for this post and loads of people saying....you know nothing, but it's just my opinion and I was really hoping that the i5 would prove me wrong...

Not at all. Good to read through your opinion. We are very apple friendly at work, and we do have less problems with the apple kit than their counterparts.. the heavier price tag is worth it in my book for the superior product.

Ahhh yes us apple zombies... plants vs zombies perhaps, a game on the ipad that is almost a reason to get it in itself. Could def fill many hours if the IFE failed ):
#823910 by Ian6969
14 Sep 2012, 10:00
I think half the problem for me is that I like to have a "good old rummage" inside my computers. I built my last home pc, and friends and family often call me to help fix machines or upgrade them a little. |:)
I'm not totally anti-Apple and if they did produce a phone that actually deserved the price tag I would get one, but imo theres much better for less money (at present)and I would get myself an ipad if the price tag wasn't so high (my better half would rip my crown jewells off if I went and bought another "toy", which I could use as a deposit on our next, and as yet unplanned holiday lol :0 )
#823917 by slinky09
14 Sep 2012, 10:30
joeyc wrote:
Ahhh yes us apple zombies... plants vs zombies perhaps, a game on the ipad that is almost a reason to get it in itself. Could def fill many hours if the IFE failed ):

Ahhhh, my failing. I agree the iPad is expensive, but I recently moved to a MacBook Air from a similarly priced Lenovo. There is no comparison, the.Mac is leagues better in every regard from boot up, to ease of use, to reliability. Heck even Windows doesn't crash on the Air. Worth every penny in my opinion.
#823921 by Neil
14 Sep 2012, 10:38
slinky09 wrote:
Ahhhh, my failing. I agree the iPad is expensive, but I recently moved to a MacBook Air from a similarly priced Lenovo. There is no comparison, the.Mac is leagues better in every regard from boot up, to ease of use, to reliability. Heck even Windows doesn't crash on the Air. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Totally agree, the other half was aghast when I said I was buying my MBA, and pointed out the alternatives for MUCH less. However we now both agree that it is a great piece of kit and well worth the extra money.

I'm a HUGE fan of the saying "you get what you pay for".
#824954 by rtlynes
24 Sep 2012, 20:14
Confirmed apple fanboi here, have gone through all three versions of the ipad, a kindle fire and a Nexus 7. I love each for their features (even the kindle fire).

I find the nexus great and its slowly replacing my kindle fire as an essential in my bag. Sometimes the 7 inch format is a lot more convenient for general use.

I still love the ipad - its reliability is second to none, but its heavy.

Have to agree with the previous post about the iphone 5 not being particularly exciting. Just hasnt got me champing at the bit to buy one yet.
#824955 by Jacki
24 Sep 2012, 20:51
I love my iPad y)
#824962 by DocRo
24 Sep 2012, 21:32
Back in the day the advantage IPhone had over Android was the availability of the Apps but there is no doubt that gap has closed.
Still prefer the Apple products personally and will likely continue to do so.
Often feel the Android arguments sound a bit like the VW ads - you know the ones
"Just like a Golf"
#824963 by Sealink
24 Sep 2012, 21:50
I must be getting old.
I played with a Samsung Tablet in the Aer Lingus lounge and after about ten minutes put it down.
I found sitting with it uncomfortable, couldn't get into a nice position to type with it and can't see the appeal.

Needless to say I have put my proposed iPad purchase on hold, and will get a lovely camera instead.

The End.
#824969 by Needsomesun
24 Sep 2012, 22:57
iPad for me. I have an original iPad for two years never had a problem. Does everything I need and the lack of flash support is no longer an issue. Have not felt the need to upgrade to the last two versions but might be tempted by an iPad mini. Tried most of the other tablets and not found anything that comes close to the iPad.
#825076 by MarkedMan
25 Sep 2012, 22:36
Not sure how the pricing plays out in the UK, out here the Mac Air was actually a tad cheaper than its windows counterparts, and would agree with slinky and Neil it was an easy decision to buy one as a result. I cannot imagine using another laptop now.

Tablets, OTOH, are a different business, I agree. The thing with apple products is there is a consistency with the experience that makes it extremely easy to pick up any one device of theirs once you have gotten used to using one - something I def can't say about Android devices. I can see value in paying a bit more for something that doesn't require time to get used to, and plays smoothly with other tools you already have. But the Nexus is a nice machine, and if you don't mind investing some time getting used to it it'll be fine. Sounds like you're pretty committed to making a non-Apple device work for you, and for me Nexus is the one in that case.
#825109 by mallin
26 Sep 2012, 10:23
We had been pondering for sometime on getting a tablet of some sort, being of the older generation have not got a smartphone so no idea how anything like this works,(have a mobile from 10 years ago that is a flip motorola and just makes calls).

Hubby is more technical than me and waited for the Nexus to come out and we went hunting for one to try, eventually our local Tesco got one in and the staff very kindly put it next to the ipad for us to compare features etc, they were very good at explaining the features of both and we eventually bought the ipad, and we are slowly getting to grips with it all, we even managed to download some films onto it for our upcoming trip next week.Its very sharp and clear and the sound quality is brlliant so we are very happy with our purchase. :D
#825214 by joeyc
27 Sep 2012, 07:43
toledoashley wrote:Nobody has mentioned the Microsoft Surface which is due out at the end of October - billed as the true competitor to the iPad.

.... wonder why ii)

Not released yet and very little hands on experience for people to give a fair opinion of judgement.

Microsoft will be playing catchup for at least a few months, ironing out bugs and releasing software updates a plenty I would imagine - just as I predict happening with win8 :w

Tried and true.. iPad all the way y)
Virgin Atlantic