This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#825193 by sunsational
26 Sep 2012, 21:08
Hi,

Does anyone have a telephone number for BT that would enable me to speak to someone who speaks english and is in this country (no offence intended)? I have been without a landline and intermittent broadband for nearly 3 weeks. A phone call a day to the Indian call centre is driving me nuts and expensive on the mobile.

Everytime I get " It will be OK now madam" and five minutes later the internet crashes. Not good for either mine or John's business. Each day someone is supposed to call us back and doesn't, each day a different reason.

So if anyone can advise or give me a number or email address, it would be more than appreciated.

Karen
#825197 by mitchja
26 Sep 2012, 21:42
I dont have any further contact numbers for BT but have you tried using the cancel the service tactic?

There is a BT call centre supposed to opening down the road from where I work in Accrington. No idea if it's actually up and running yet though?

Ring them again and ask to cancel and just see if that gets you any further. TBH BT are now one of the most expensive landline providers in the UK for both phone and broadband anyway. You can move your landline number to any of the other providers. I moved my broadband and line rental from BT to Sky 2 years ago and have never looked back since.

Also, I presume you are dialling an 0800 number to contact them? There are several freephone dialler access numbers and 0800 dialler apps available where you dial an 01 number and then it asks you to dial the 0800 number, that way the call comes out of your normal monthly mobile call allowance.
#825198 by Lucky Suzy
26 Sep 2012, 21:52
Hi Karen

I have recently had a new telephone system installed by BT, the guy who was managing my work might have a UK number you could call - it's worth a try!!!

He is Paul on 0808 100 4052. There is an outside chance it might give you a lead to resuming your problem!

Suzy
#825225 by mitchja
27 Sep 2012, 10:06
Also when it comes to combined broadband and line faults, when reporting it to BT, do not mention your broadband issues as there's no service guarantee with broadband but there is with landlines. Also most of the time a fixed line fault will fix broadband issues.

Line faults also get fixed much quicker than broadband faults.
#825227 by joeyc
27 Sep 2012, 10:20
Virgin Media anyone? :P

Have been with them for years, and gotta say on the rare occasion there has been a fault they are quick to resolve..

If you call up and get to the switchboard, say you are thinking about leaving.... you get through to a UK call centre almost straight away ii) - Sounds like a massively unreliable service though so if I were you I would def look elsewhere.
#825230 by mallin
27 Sep 2012, 10:57
Hi Karen, unfortunately like everyone else can't help with a phone number different to what has been suggested but we were in the very same situation last year.We had indian operaters even suggesting we take the cover off the wall and testing the line ourselves, hubby got to the stage where he even threw the mobile across the room he was getting so frustrated with them.

After like yourself with no phone or broadband for 2 weeks we got them to send an engineer the next day, he immediately identified the problem as the hub, changed it and it now all works perftly we said to him about the call centre and he said BT would not change their policy, but he was the perfect engineer and couldn't do enough.Also rang up the sales people and got money back on not being connected period and a reduced monthly bill.good luck rgds Linda y)
#825237 by locutus
27 Sep 2012, 11:27
Fill out the complaints form on their web site, it may take a day or two but you will usually get someone call you back from the UK team.

Also, if calling from a mobile, use the geographic number:

From a landline: 0800 800 151
From a mobile: 0330 123 4151
From abroad: +44 179 359 6931
#825241 by locutus
27 Sep 2012, 11:32
mallin wrote:We had indian operaters even suggesting we take the cover off the wall and testing the line ourselves, hubby got to the stage where he even threw the mobile across the room he was getting so frustrated with them.

That is a perfectly valid test to be asked to do. Behind the BT master socket is a test socket. Connect to that and you rule out all your extension wiring and if the problem persists then BT will know it's not an issue your end.

If you have ADSL it's worth trying to see if your sync speed increases by connecting to it, and if it does, disconnecting the ring wire will probably give you extra speed. You can also fit the BT iPlate. It increased mine by 2Mbps.
#825251 by sunsational
27 Sep 2012, 13:41
mitchja wrote:Also when it comes to combined broadband and line faults, when reporting it to BT, do not mention your broadband issues as there's no service guarantee with broadband but there is with landlines. Also most of the time a fixed line fault will fix broadband issues.

Line faults also get fixed much quicker than broadband faults.

Hi James,

we report the landline first, we have been given a date of 1st Octber, it will be nearly 4 weeks then. :(!
#825254 by mitchja
27 Sep 2012, 14:08
I presume you have already asked for compensation for the loss of your landline?

As a BT customer, you are entitled to the following:

Under the standard maintenance contract, we are committed to repairing reported faults by the end of the next working day. Normal working hours are 8:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays, and repairs are not normally undertaken at weekends. Where we fail to meet this commitment, we will pay compensation under the terms of our Customer Service Guarantee Scheme (CSGS).

Where we have been able to supply a divert, we continue to provide monetary compensation known as Fixed Rate Compensation. Under FRC, customers can claim Line/Package Rental Rebate at the scales below:

1-3 days' delay: 1 month's Line/Package Rental Rebate
4-6 days' delay: 2 months' Line/Package Rental Rebate
7-9 days' delay: 3 months' Line/Package Rental Rebate
>10 days' delay: 4 months' Line/Package Rental Rebate

(plus any additional service payment where appropriate)
#825256 by Miss G
27 Sep 2012, 14:25
mitchja wrote:I dont have any further contact numbers for BT but have you tried using the cancel the service tactic?

There is a BT call centre supposed to opening down the road from where I work in Accrington. No idea if it's actually up and running yet though?

Ring them again and ask to cancel and just see if that gets you any further. TBH BT are now one of the most expensive landline providers in the UK for both phone .

Was supposed to open this autumn so it may well not be yet.
#825289 by sunsational
27 Sep 2012, 23:21
I just came to the end of a post thanking everyone and the Bl**dy thing crashed again!

Still no further forward, John's business is suffering and so is my side of things with renting the villa.

I have to log in at work at lunchtime to be able to read posts for any lenghth of time.

Work censors a lot of sites (School) so it is driving me barmy.
#825299 by Silver Fox
28 Sep 2012, 05:49
Erm, cancel them. Seriously, if you are daft enough to put up with something that is affecting your business then what part of "they are taking the p*ss" are you not getting ? Sorry for the shock and awe tactics, Well sort of ! :-)
#825395 by PilotWolf
29 Sep 2012, 06:08
Haven't had to use it for a while as dumped BT after their last fiasco of providing service but I have always found that an email to [email protected] tends to work wonders.

W.
#825430 by sunsational
29 Sep 2012, 16:08
Rustigearbox2 wrote:Pretty sure the call centres in New Delhi?

Well unless they only employ people with Asian accents, we can safely say the call centre is in that 'vacinity' v( ):
Virgin Atlantic