This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#833269 by hiljil
28 Dec 2012, 10:47
Hi.
It is now two weeks that I have been without a landline waiting for BT to repair a local cable and I hate making calls on a mobile. Sky box played up over Xmas and I had a stressful time trying to understand instructions from Asia on a crackly mobile line. Then yesterday, with a bang and initial ghastly burning smell the boiler packed up and everyone round here is on an extended Yuletide break ....... Keeping warm with a fan heater and duvet.
I know there are folks far worse off and I keep telling myself that - but if anyone out there feels moved to send me a cheery face or kind word I would appreciate that !!!
Thanks.
Hiljil
:# :# :#
#833270 by DragonLady
28 Dec 2012, 10:55
I feel for you - our heating conked out a few weeks ago and took 3 visits from British Gas to fix ( the last visit taking 11 hours!!!!!) :0 . I was like a bear with a sore head so you have my complete sympathy.
DL
#833271 by tontybear
28 Dec 2012, 11:13
Man walks into a pub and sees a sign

"A pie, a pint and a kindly word - £5" so he orders it from the barmaid.

The pie and pint are soon served.

"What about the kindly word?" Asks the man to which the barmaid replies ...

"Don't eat the pie!"
#833272 by Jacki
28 Dec 2012, 11:36
That's miserable. :0 I had 3 weeks unable to leave the house without gas and electricity after the hurricane in 86 and they were dropping in red cross parcels for the children! I hope the Gas is sorted very soon and it does seem to be the case that if you ring and complain loud enough and often enough they act quicker just to get you off their books!
#833273 by hiljil
28 Dec 2012, 11:49
Thank You sooooo much. You made me laugh out loud tontybear. Just what I needed .
Thank You too DL and Jacki. I feel much happier.
:)
#833302 by catsilversword
28 Dec 2012, 18:42
Oh my, no heating either, I know how that one feels :( And you can't get anyone to DO anything over this extended holiday either.... one thing though, I hope BT are routing your landline phone via your mobile, so you're not having to stand the extra cost involved with mobile calls????
#833303 by hiljil
28 Dec 2012, 18:47
It seems people can phone me on my mobile using landline costs but when I phone out I get charged mobile prices. So I have a nice bill for my calls to Sky . However, I have been told I can claim this back when it is all settled. I wonder ..... :?
#833326 by mallin
29 Dec 2012, 00:01
Dear Hiljil,
Hope you get things sorted soon, we were without internet and landline for only 7 days and it seemed like an eternity, I managed in the end to send an e-mail to the customer care department from our friends computer and within the hour we had a phone call from India (I know) but he said an engineer would be asigned to our case immediately (we thought one already had been) and we got a phone call on the mobile and they were round that day to fix the outside cable i)
I managed to get back the rental charge for the week but they wouldn't budge on the calls we had to make to elderly relatives etc as he said(english operator) it was classified as a luxury What I said :0 but they still wouldn't give any refund

Have you got BG cover as they will come out same day 24/7 if you have no heat ours packed up but hubby managed to fix it as the new box they fitted keeps getting confused with the signal
from the airing cupboard to the box on the wall.

Good luck and have a warm drink under the duvet, hope you have a better new year. regards Linda y)
#833334 by hiljil
29 Dec 2012, 08:16
Thanks, Sunshine ! And a Happy New Year to you too !!
Good luck at240 getting yours sorted.
No I don't have a BG contract but I do have a good friend who is an electrician ( ! ) and he has just returned home from Xmas away. He came to look at boiler and lo and behold it was an electrician I needed. The circuit board had blown. So awaiting new part !
My friendly Indian lady tells me the BT engineer hopes to start ( start ?! ) on Monday .......
Happy New Year Everyone .
#833412 by catsilversword
29 Dec 2012, 20:26
hiljil wrote:Thanks, Sunshine ! And a Happy New Year to you too !!
No I don't have a BG contract but I do have a good friend who is an electrician ( ! ) and he has just returned home from Xmas away. He came to look at boiler and lo and behold it was an electrician I needed. The circuit board had blown. So awaiting new part !
My friendly Indian lady tells me the BT engineer hopes to start ( start ?! ) on Monday .......

That's great news - and what a relief for you. I know it hasn't been THAT cold the last few days, but oh, doesn't it just feel that way with so much rain. Sheer luxury to have heat and hot water :)
#833414 by catsilversword
29 Dec 2012, 20:28
catsilversword wrote:
hiljil wrote:Thanks, Sunshine ! And a Happy New Year to you too !!

That's great news - and what a relief for you. I know it hasn't been THAT cold the last few days, but oh, doesn't it just feel that way with so much rain. Sheer luxury to have heat and hot water :)

Oh damn, jumped the gun there... still waiting for part :(
#833443 by PilotWolf
30 Dec 2012, 08:05
catsilversword wrote:I've also had occasion to contact the Chief Exec of BT (Ian Livingstone) about a month ago or so - he did reply, but was pretty disinterested. Good luck though, you may have a better experience!

I had a call from his 'pa' the next day on both occasions, one issue was resolved within the week (new pole/line install) and compensation of 3 months line rental paid, plus the costs of using my mobile. The 2nd was my ex's Grandmother who had basically been ripped off by them sending her a new phone every 6 months and billing her for supplying them and an equipment charge. That was resolved in 2 calls - all her money refunded plus interest and 6 months line rental credit.

It's all in the wording of the email :)

W.
#833445 by hiljil
30 Dec 2012, 08:26
Wow, thank you for such helpful advice ( & web addresses ! ). I can't thank you all enough. So morale boosting.
But I think I have angered the gods somehow as out of the blue just now kettle, TV, fan heater and washing machine all went " off ". Thank goodness I know where the trip switch is in the garage (brrrrrr ) . But why ? A pity my electrician friend is now away for the weekend !!
More puzzled than glum hiljil ?|
#833486 by catsilversword
30 Dec 2012, 17:00
PilotWolf wrote:
catsilversword wrote:I've also had occasion to contact the Chief Exec of BT (Ian Livingstone) about a month ago or so - he did reply, but was pretty disinterested. Good luck though, you may have a better experience!

I had a call from his 'pa' the next day on both occasions, one issue was resolved within the week (new pole/line install) and compensation of 3 months line rental paid, plus the costs of using my mobile. The 2nd was my ex's Grandmother who had basically been ripped off by them sending her a new phone every 6 months and billing her for supplying them and an equipment charge. That was resolved in 2 calls - all her money refunded plus interest and 6 months line rental credit.

It's all in the wording of the email :)

W.

Oh, totally agree!
#833489 by Hev60
30 Dec 2012, 17:15
hiljil, you must be wondered if there is a conspiracy going on. I reckon BT are purposely not repairing your landline so you can't rant about your phone, boiler, sky, etc etc.
Things can only improve I hope. Happy new year :)
#833504 by honey lamb
30 Dec 2012, 20:46
Look on the bright side - at least you're dry. xx(

Hope it gets sorted soon
Virgin Atlantic