This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#835247 by slinky09
18 Jan 2013, 09:58
I love it! My father, who was a part time rally driver in his youth when we lived up North, used to take the cars out just for fun in snow and sneer at namby pamby southerners who couldn't drive in 1" of the white stuff ... I recall fondly haring about lanes in lots of snow in rally tuned Mini Cooper!

Hope no one is affected today though, us here too as we're off skiing tomorrow!
#835250 by RyanJW
18 Jan 2013, 10:22
I'm currently in Rome right now and really hoping Monarch doesn't cancel our flight. I've got to catch the VS19 tomorrow morning to more warmer climbs!
#835251 by Neil
18 Jan 2013, 10:24
We've had in since Monday, but suddenly it becomes news today because London and the South might/are getting some ii)
#835252 by Daffodil
18 Jan 2013, 10:40
The snow is pretty bad here and just to cofirm it we have had Richard Gaisford from ITV's Daybreak reporting on the snow from Abergavenny all morning. I hope it clears before Wednesday, we headed to LHR for the VS400.
#835253 by hiljil
18 Jan 2013, 10:41
Drove down last night to Portsmouth for Aunt's funeral today. Sitting in hotel wondering if can get a taxi rather than digging car out. We did not need this !!
#835262 by Turquoise
18 Jan 2013, 11:40
Hardly any snow here in Christchurch/Bournemouth - it's more wet rain with a few flakes mixed in! I would so like just some to stick so I can go for a walk with the dog!
#835264 by slinky09
18 Jan 2013, 11:55
hiljil wrote:Drove down last night to Portsmouth for Aunt's funeral today. Sitting in hotel wondering if can get a taxi rather than digging car out. We did not need this !!

You'll be fine, it'll turn to rain in a while there.
#835267 by cooperman
18 Jan 2013, 12:43
Greetings from Wigan's Winter Wonderland.
IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

I'll not be going anywhere in my car today.....might walk down the riverbank to the pub though!
#835270 by PaulS
18 Jan 2013, 13:01
I am sat in looking out of my lounge watching the sun reflect off the Mediterranean Sea whilst watching Sky news. :D :D :D

Slinky you right about the driving ^) ^)

Hope you get it cleared up for my trip to Dubai via LHR in February
#835271 by catsilversword
18 Jan 2013, 14:35
Neil wrote:We've had in since Monday, but suddenly it becomes news today because London and the South might/are getting some ii)

As indeed we in the south are. I don't need this, my daughter's second baby is due at any time and we're supposed to be on standby to look after our grandson while she's delivering. We live an hour away from them - I've told her to hold on until next week.... ?|
#835272 by Hev60
18 Jan 2013, 14:36
Neil wrote:We've had in since Monday, but suddenly it becomes news today because London and the South might/are getting some ii)

Don't feel left out. We've had plenty of news all week about the snow which fell up 'north' so you've not be ignored. But with Heathrow & Gatwick having probs, as well as the predicted road/rail disruptions - that is the current news for the media :)
#835277 by pjh
18 Jan 2013, 14:54
catsilversword wrote:And don't the weathermen just love it?!

Well, they have been pretty much on the money even to the time it started snowing here near Cambridge.
#835278 by catsilversword
18 Jan 2013, 15:01
I give it to them, they've been right today. Not so last weekend, when we were predicted snow Friday night, then Saturday, then Saturday night.... not a single flake!
#835981 by Andy1
26 Jan 2013, 18:31
slinky09 wrote:I love it! My father, who was a part time rally driver in his youth when we lived up North, used to take the cars out just for fun in snow and sneer at namby pamby southerners who couldn't drive in 1" of the white stuff ... I recall fondly haring about lanes in lots of snow in rally tuned Mini Cooper!

Hope no one is affected today though, us here too as we're off skiing tomorrow!

Back in the good ol days. Now that's a proper Mini.
#836005 by NV43
26 Jan 2013, 22:45
ScubaRoo wrote:Quick poll...

Who fits winter tyres?

1) ScubaRoo (wife's wee Honda FWD & my Subaru 4WD)

I fit winter tyres and also carry snow chains, when appropriate.

It's currently snowing in Washington and was - 8C, here, last night.

I've just spent the best part of a week in the Rock Mountains and, despite extreme cold weather gear, my fingers are fissured and nastily painful. Don't, however, let that put you off as the mountains and wildlife were amazing.

Full TR, to follow.

NV
Virgin Atlantic