This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#837669 by catsilversword
11 Feb 2013, 19:47
Hi,

I have an ipad 2, but increasingly, any apps demand ios5 of later to run them. Mine doesn't seem to have that version (am struggling to find what it does have as it doesn't seem to show on settings).

I've been doing some googling and it seems I can download ios - I think it'd now be version 6 - but I'm really unsure as to how to do it, so would welcome any pointers please! From what I read, it looks as though I need to synch with a laptop/pc/whatever - when I originally bought the ipad, I downloaded itunes to a notebook and synched it from that. DO I have to use the same notebook or will it work if I download the latest itunes to another device and synch from there?

I read something about doing a back-up - how do I do this? I know it must be very basic - I frequently back up my pc and laptop to an external drive, but am wondering (assuming!) that all things Apple are different. So - if not to an external hard drive, then how? And if I can back up to one, does it need to be a different one from the one I use for a pc? I'm thinking the answer is yes.....

I haven't got very much I need to back up, but there are some photos and also my settings. I'm sure it's all very easy - I just don't know how to go about any of it :(
#837676 by Neil
11 Feb 2013, 20:17
The best way to do it is to plug it in to a computer, open itunes and it will tell you that an update is needed, just click yes and it should offer you the opportunity to back it up first and then do the update.

The issue you will have is if you use a different computer to what you originally did and you have downloaded a lot of music, videos. Depending on how you originally set your ipad up (did you select manually manage content?) some things might be lost, but unfortunately you really haven't got many other options and it might be best to cut your losses now and do the update as you really are quite out of date.
#837706 by Neil
11 Feb 2013, 21:48
Trevski220 wrote:Or via wifi, plug Ipad into mains go into settings menu > general > software update and it will install the latest IOS over wifi for you!

I'm pretty certain you need IOS 5 or newer to do wifi updates, it was one of the features that it added, but from what they have said the OP is still on an older version.
#837709 by Trevski220
11 Feb 2013, 22:12
Neil wrote:
Trevski220 wrote:Or via wifi, plug Ipad into mains go into settings menu > general > software update and it will install the latest IOS over wifi for you!

I'm pretty certain you need IOS 5 or newer to do wifi updates, it was one of the features that it added, but from what they have said the OP is still on an older version.

Ah, good point!! I'm glad someone is paying attention! Lol
#837710 by Hev60
11 Feb 2013, 22:17

y) Yes that's exactly what I did about six weeks ago with my ipad2. In settings it simply said "upgrade to IOS6". Didn't need to connect to iTunes via the computer, as it worked by wifi picking up my own Sky hub. :)
#837721 by catsilversword
12 Feb 2013, 07:13

I tried looking for that first, but I don't have the option - when I googled that problem, it looked as though wireless update is only an option AFTER updating!

Crikey though, have only had the ipad 18 months....
#837722 by catsilversword
12 Feb 2013, 07:17
Neil wrote:The best way to do it is to plug it in to a computer, open itunes and it will tell you that an update is needed, just click yes and it should offer you the opportunity to back it up first and then do the update.

The issue you will have is if you use a different computer to what you originally did and you have downloaded a lot of music, videos. Depending on how you originally set your ipad up (did you select manually manage content?) some things might be lost, but unfortunately you really haven't got many other options and it might be best to cut your losses now and do the update as you really are quite out of date.

Many thanks Neil - and yes, I realise it's 'quite out of date'! I originally did the synch via a notebook, - we were in the US at the time and there was no other option, so I think I'll do it via that route and hope it goes ok. I can't remember whether I selected to manually manage content, but if I did, then as you say, I have no other options anyway. I'll get on to this tonight - I imagine it won't be a 5 minute job!
#837734 by Hev60
12 Feb 2013, 11:36
catsilversword wrote:
I tried looking for that first, but I don't have the option - when I googled that problem, it looked as though wireless update is only an option AFTER updating!

Catsilversword - had another thought, why don't you pop along to your local Apple store. I've always found them so helpful giving advice.
Might save you a load of headache :)
#837777 by catsilversword
12 Feb 2013, 20:10
Hev60 wrote:
catsilversword wrote:

Catsilversword - had another thought, why don't you pop along to your local Apple store. I've always found them so helpful giving advice.
Might save you a load of headache :)

I'm fast coming to that conclusion too. I have it connected to the original device to synch, but nothing's happening, no prompts, nothing. It feels like it's much more difficult than I think it should be, so probably it's something blindingly obvious that I'm not doing.

I wonder if my local Apple store will mind if I take it in, rather than just asking for advice???
#837786 by Hev60
12 Feb 2013, 21:04
Catsilverword : I don't know where you live, but I am in London. When I got the new iphone5 recently I had a problem with it. I went to the Apple store at a shopping Mall close by and the young guy was so helpful. I was upfront saying I got the phone elsewhere but he wasn't bothered, just did some adjustments for me going from screen to screen with such efficiency and told me to pop back if ever I have another prob. y)

Apple are on ipad4 now with yet more models to come soon but I'm still happy with my ipad2. Bet it's some simple software which needs loading on yours. Nothing to lose, go direct to the Apple store asap. Hev :)
#837801 by Trevski220
12 Feb 2013, 23:35
You can book an appt at the Genius Bar if you are having troubles! They are there for support with software and hardware.

Find you local apple store online and it will give you the option to book an appt the appt is free though if a hardware issue is found and you have no warranty then repairs will need to be paid for, though from what you say I'm sure it's just updating the iOS
Last edited by Trevski220 on 13 Feb 2013, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
#837803 by joeyc
12 Feb 2013, 23:50
As a wee bit of side info here... there has been a problem with the latest software release and some of the older models of IOS devices.. i.e everything before an iPhone 4s :P

Some of the networks and vendors were recommending not to update until they fixed the problem, they only did so yesterday.

To the OP, as you say notebook I am assuming a windows o/s (I may very well be wrong for those ubuntu fans out there :P) My advice would be to plug the iPad into the originally synched comp - otherwise your options are all your data will be erased and the iPad will factory reset or nothing will happen - computers for you ii)

After that is done, open iTunes and go for the software downloads section of the iPad menu.. this should detail the newest version of the iOS available to you. Click, download, agree to sell your soul, install and all should be well. If there are further probs there may be an issue with the way the iPad is trying to connect to the computer.. has occurred (although rarely) with people who have synced with win 7 then tried to resync with win 8 without updating their iTunes version.... think this is fixed now too but with the amount of possible configuration possibilities it is hard to say with 100% certainty.

If in doubt though ask Apple :P

Good Luck 8D
#837819 by catsilversword
13 Feb 2013, 07:18
I'd resigned myself to going to an Apple store (I'm just outside London, so there are a few within reach!) and thought I'd have a final bash at it. And .... (drum roll...) - I did it! I have no real idea why I managed it, when previously my efforts had been futile... but whatever, as they say... now got the latest version AND settings show I can update wirelessly.

Wonderful. Thanks so much for all your help! xxx
#837832 by Hev60
13 Feb 2013, 10:43
catsilversword wrote:I'd resigned myself to going to an Apple store (I'm just outside London, so there are a few within reach!) and thought I'd have a final bash at it. And .... (drum roll...) - I did it! I have no real idea why I managed it, when previously my efforts had been futile... but whatever, as they say... now got the latest version AND settings show I can update wirelessly.

y) y) y) good result - that's saved you £500 !buying the latest ipad4.
#837840 by clarkeysntfc
13 Feb 2013, 12:11
My iPhone 3GS is still plodding along OK, and is only costing me £16p/m on a sim-only deal, I haven't seen enough in the iPhone5 to make me want to spend the extra. I received a new iPad for Xmas, so I'm using that for most things except phone calls now anyway!
#837859 by catsilversword
13 Feb 2013, 18:33
Hev60 wrote:
catsilversword wrote:I'd resigned myself to going to an Apple store (I'm just outside London, so there are a few within reach!) and thought I'd have a final bash at it. And .... (drum roll...) - I did it! I have no real idea why I managed it, when previously my efforts had been futile... but whatever, as they say... now got the latest version AND settings show I can update wirelessly.

y) y) y) good result - that's saved you £500 !buying the latest ipad4.

That thought had flitted through my mind too :)
Virgin Atlantic