This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#840492 by Daytona
14 Mar 2013, 16:07
Going with VA from Man to Orlando in June. Was booking seats yesterdays and we booked upperdeck ( economy) . When I log in to our booking on VA website one kind of plane shows ( a 747 )and thats the plane I used for seatings. But then I read that there are 3 or 4 versions of 747´s. The flight nr is VA073, can I be sure that I booked seats on the right type of plane? Why Im asking is beacuse we have a child with us and wants to sit in a 3 row.

Anyone sat on upperdeck and whats it like? Are we the first or last to leave the plane after landing?

Thanks / Daytona
#840494 by Neil
14 Mar 2013, 16:12
Hi and welcome.

There is now only one version of the LGW 747, and that has the mixed upstairs cabin with PE at the front and Y at the rear. The downstairs is UC/PE/Y.

There used to be a few versions but Virgin refitted this whole fleet last year and uniformed it all.

The upperdeck gets mixed reports for the Y cabin, some think it is a bit cramped others like the novelty and don't feel it cramped. You will disembark the a/c at a similar time to the downstairs PE and UC cabins, and before the downstairs Y cabin.
#840498 by Daytona
14 Mar 2013, 16:25
Thank you! First I read LGW as London Gatwick...*dumb swede*
So then I guess the seating map on our booking is correct to the one we will fly with.

Never flew with Virgin before, so we dont know what to expect.
#840501 by Neil
14 Mar 2013, 16:37
Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer - MAN (Manchester) and LGW (Gatwick) both share the same a/c and the rotate between the two airports, LHR (Heathrow) has it's own a/c that mainly only operate out of there.

So the config LGW -1, is the only config you need to worry about as that will be operating your flight ex MAN :)
#840503 by lspoor
14 Mar 2013, 16:58
I didn't think the Upper Deck Economy seats were open to select. I thought they were held back until OLCI opened. Is it for specific fare codes or something? May explain why I can't select them.
#840508 by Daytona
14 Mar 2013, 17:18
Ipoor,

They were open on our booking, and we are simple "economists" without special fares ii) . We booked through a Swedish travel agency but we didnt pay/choose anything extra, just plain economy .
#840509 by lspoor
14 Mar 2013, 17:20
Daytona wrote:Ipoor,

They were open on our booking, and we are simple "economists" without special fares ii) . We booked through a Swedish travel agency but we didnt pay/choose anything extra, just plain economy .

Lucky you I guess! :D I'm stuck with 64K :#
#840777 by Lel
16 Mar 2013, 18:08
I have found that if the economy bubble seats aren't available at the time of booking they can be released approx 29 hours or so before departure. So by that, I mean about 3 or 4 hours before on line check in opens. I have always managed to grab one at that time.
#840829 by lspoor
17 Mar 2013, 18:38
Lel wrote:I have found that if the economy bubble seats aren't available at the time of booking they can be released approx 29 hours or so before departure. So by that, I mean about 3 or 4 hours before on line check in opens. I have always managed to grab one at that time.

Good info! Will be sure to check seat map around that time! T-minus 14days!
Virgin Atlantic