This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#841674 by jadeevans13
26 Mar 2013, 22:31
I am not entirely proud of this post but I did have a question about airline 'no fly' lists.

Last year my boyfriend got a bit drunk on an economy virgin flight and ended up opening his own bottle of JD to drink... v( the flight attendant noticed and we had a bit of an argument with him because he was very rude and we didn't actually realise it was illegal! :| He came over and provoked a further 4 arguments throughout the flight about it and it seems he didn't like our attitude so called the police to meet us at Stansted. The thing was that yes we were rude to that cabin crew guy but we were not disruptive, the man next to us slept the whole journey while we just watched films and didn't leave our seats except to use the toilet!

Anyway, the police took us off (highly embarrassing) and let us go 5 minutes later saying we were clearly not drunk and disorderly so just to go home - but then they added we might find ourselves banned from VA and maybe to expect a letter through the door.

I wanted to book our holiday this year (we wont be drinking!!) but I am really nervous about his comment. It will not be with VA, probably BA but will we now be barred from flights on all airlines?! We moved house a week after the flight so I will never even know if we got 'the letter'. Can anyone help with this??
#841686 by gumshoe
26 Mar 2013, 23:32
I'd have thought it's very unlikely you'll be banned.

But for the record it's worth remembering that when you fly, you are on private property and therefore bound by the airline's rules.

The alcohol rules are there for a reason. Bring stuck on a plane with drunk people for 8 hours is at best unpleasant and at worst very dangerous. No airline should ever let passengers drink their own alcohol as then the crew can't control them.
#841688 by tontybear
26 Mar 2013, 23:36
The only way you will know is if you actually call Virgin.

If they have banned your partner then that is a decision down to them but I really don't think they can legally share their 'no fly' list with other airlines.

An individual airlines no-fly list is of course totally different to Government no-fly lists.

And just to clarify are you sure it was a VS flight as unless its a weather or emergency they don't fly to/from Stansted.
#841689 by joeyc
26 Mar 2013, 23:40
Huh, with the severe lack of JD on board I can understand your eagerness to grab your own bottle.. I tend to compensate with a nice cup of tea though |:)

Stanstead?? VS don't fly there. Did you guys cause the plane to be diverted?

If no charges were filed, no law suits pending, and if you have heard nothing I highly doubt you are on a no fly list.. try to book a flight and see :P

I am not sure how it goes with the whole shared blacklist thing outside of government intervention, but you have to do something pretty series to have a blanket ban put on you flying and you would def know about it - would the Home Office also give you a call I wonder to inform you your passport is near on useless? :w
#841701 by pjh
27 Mar 2013, 00:10
joeyc wrote:I am not sure how it goes with the whole shared blacklist thing outside of government intervention, but you have to do something pretty series to have a blanket ban put on you flying and you would def know about it - would the Home Office also give you a call I wonder to inform you your passport is near on useless? :w

:? Last time I travelled to the continent by train or car I'm fairly sure that my passport proved of use...
#841703 by tontybear
27 Mar 2013, 00:22
joeyc wrote:
I am not sure how it goes with the whole shared blacklist thing outside of government intervention, but you have to do something pretty series to have a blanket ban put on you flying and you would def know about it - would the Home Office also give you a call I wonder to inform you your passport is near on useless? :w

If you have a travel ban placed on you by the Government then chances are you will know about it but Government watch lists are totally different from an individuals airlines own "we don't want this person as a customer" lists and that is what the OP is concerned about.
#841705 by joeyc
27 Mar 2013, 00:28
pjh wrote:
joeyc wrote:I am not sure how it goes with the whole shared blacklist thing outside of government intervention, but you have to do something pretty series to have a blanket ban put on you flying and you would def know about it - would the Home Office also give you a call I wonder to inform you your passport is near on useless? :w

:? Last time I travelled to the continent by train or car I'm fairly sure that my passport proved of use...

Near on :P :P
#841707 by joeyc
27 Mar 2013, 00:43
tontybear wrote:If you have a travel ban placed on you by the Government then chances are you will know about it but Government watch lists are totally different from an individuals airlines own "we don't want this person as a customer" lists and that is what the OP is concerned about.

Yep tonty, figured that part... the OP was concerned about flying with an unspecified carrier .. ref to BA in there I believe :P Hence me looking to draw parallels between individual airlines sharing 'no service' lists... as stated I think this is typically done at gov't level and they would def know about it.

As for VS.. well only they can tell so try to book a holiday and see what happens :?

Kinda nitpicking I know but a Government watch list is completely different to the various No Fly lists governments make up at will.. one is a; We must observe this person in case they do something wrong list, the other is a; This person has done wrong and we want to decrease their chances of escape list... man the rowboat :P
#841717 by jadeevans13
27 Mar 2013, 08:42
No it was gatwick sorry, no plane diverted!

We will definately not be drinking again on board - my excuse is I am a very nervous passenger and to be honest I have never had a problem with being drunk on board before OR drinking my own drink - but then I have usually flown premium economy so I think the treatment is different.

So you all think I can call up Virgin and actually ask them? Although I will never fly with them again because in my opinion it was the most ridiculous over reaction, considering we didn't realise we were doing anything wrong at the time.

I am hoping that wouldn't have put me on the government no fly list - just as long as BA/easyjet wouldn't ban me just because Virgin may have done?
#841724 by joeyc
27 Mar 2013, 11:00
jadeevans13 wrote:So you all think I can call up Virgin and actually ask them? Although I will never fly with them again because in my opinion it was the most ridiculous over reaction, considering we didn't realise we were doing anything wrong at the time.

I am hoping that wouldn't have put me on the government no fly list - just as long as BA/easyjet wouldn't ban me just because Virgin may have done?

As, I hope, consensus runs above you would know if you were on a gov't no fly list. So I wouldn't worry on that one.

As for asking VS.. you may just be digging up the past with that one. It is likely they would have contacted you to say they no longer wanted your business but if no charges were brought it is unlikely that you are.

It is a shame that this member of CC has dissuaded you from flying VS, agreed he could have handled the circumstances better. I would say don't rule them out just yet as, for the most part, their CC are great people especially when comparing them to the slightly more plain others in the air :P
#841729 by jadeevans13
27 Mar 2013, 12:45
Thanks for all being massively reassuring.

I didn't want to just book a holiday and then wait till checking in to find out I am not allowed on :|

@joeyc - it is a real shame that this happened, I was a bit of a Virgin groupie before with collecting air miles and recommending them to everyone, but unfortunately my one experience in VA economy has completely changed my mind - they actually ruined my whole holiday with this incident - seems we got stuck with a bit of a jobsworth!
#841737 by at240
27 Mar 2013, 13:42
jadeevans13 wrote:I am hoping that wouldn't have put me on the government no fly list - just as long as BA/easyjet wouldn't ban me just because Virgin may have done?

Given what you've said, I very much doubt you are on a 'no-fly' list! I think they have bigger fish to fry!

I also very much doubt that any other airline would know anything about the events with Virgin.
#841738 by clarkeysntfc
27 Mar 2013, 13:46
I think it's a testament to V-Flyer as a website that this thread hasn't turned rather hostile.

I doubt it would've remained as civil as it has on certain other sites.
#841741 by jadeevans13
27 Mar 2013, 14:00
clarkeysntfc wrote:I think it's a testament to V-Flyer as a website that this thread hasn't turned rather hostile.

I doubt it would've remained as civil as it has on certain other sites.

I thought this exact thing - I nearly didn't bother posting!
#841749 by Silver Fox
27 Mar 2013, 15:09
I've been away so not had a chance to answer in a hostile and aggressive manner. :) I haven't got a clue as to what other forums, for example Flyertalk BAEC forum, you are on about where the usual clique flay anyone that dares to say something remotely negative about their child. Nope haven't got a clue !
#842539 by stevop21
02 Apr 2013, 14:54
I honestly wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. I'm crew at another airline and to the best of my knowledge you have to very, very seriously misbehave, almost cause a divert to be banned.

People try and drink their own booze all the time, it's not unusual. As you say it is illegal but the cabin crew member's reaction just sounds stupid...

Enjoy your trip!
Virgin Atlantic