This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#841800 by slinky09
28 Mar 2013, 10:39
In an effort to resolve why all our household iPads can't keep a wifi connection I've decided to move to an Apple Time Capsule. Because V-Flyers are some of the most knowledgeable bunch around, before I click that 'purchase' button, does anyone have any comments if you've got one?
#841805 by mitchja
28 Mar 2013, 11:17
Nothing other than it's a fantastic bit of kit especially with Apple wireless devices.

I've been using one for years now with my Sky broadband. I disable the WiFi on the Sky router and use the TC WiFi for everything.

Apparently they can also work very well with fibre broadband by just plugging in the fibre modem and so getting rid of the extra router all the fibre ISP's provide you with too.

Only thing I will say is, when you come to set it up, certainly on mine, the 5Ghz WiFi band was not enabled by default.
#841807 by slinky09
28 Mar 2013, 11:22
mitchja wrote:Nothing other than it's a fantastic bit of kit especially with Apple wireless devices.

I've been using one for years now with my Sky broadband. I disable the WiFi on the Sky router and use the TC WiFi for everything.

Thank you y) y) . And you answered my next question since I was about to add a BT YouView box.
#841826 by joeyc
28 Mar 2013, 13:46
My recommendation would be to go for a simple airport extreme to run the network. Time Capsules take ages to sync multiple devices and when accessing the backups have been known to crash when dealing with more than one thing.

The thing to note about the TC and Airport Extreme is that they don't have a built in modem so you will need a modem box anyway. The ISP supplied modem routers are good enough for purpose, but you will need to know how to put it in bridge mode so the ISPs router/modem does not start trying to assign the IPs and manage traffic.

As for why your iPads cannot keep a wifi contact, is this a constant thing that drops randomly during use or does it happen every time you turn your iPad off and on? If the latter then it is poss that the primitive router :P you are currently using is assigning multiple devices the same IP address, 2 devices cannot function online with the same IP and it causes crashes and dropouts a plenty, way round this is to assign a static IP range to your known devices and stipulate another range outside that for guest/unknown devices.

Hope this helps Slinky 8D