This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#845236 by spiceke
04 May 2013, 17:03
Having been seduced by 'the dark side' and the world of Avios collecting I am looking at my VS Amex Card and wondering if I need the black one any more.

I have always been able to use my 2 free upgrade vouchers (when Mrs S had her own card we always managed to use all 4 upgrades every year - just lucky I guess), but potentially I may not qualify for both this year (by July) as I have been loading my multiple other Amex's.

So, I was thinking that as they have just hit me for the £140 charge I will call them, downgrade to the basic VS Amex and get the fee refunded. This will then keep my oldest credit card going (for credit scoring purposes) and also I could then upgrade again in a few years time.

I phoned MBNA and they said I could not 'downgrade' and that the only way to do this was to cancel my card and re-apply for the basic one.

I have come to doubt everything that NBMA (and all Service Centre) staff tell me - especially as in the same phone call he tried to tell me that all spend (including the Visa spend) goes towards the upgrade voucher and that I had qualified already - took 10 minutes to explain to him that it is only the Amex spend that goes to the upgrade voucher).

Anyway, does anyone know if I can downgrade?

Thanks
#845237 by Trevski220
04 May 2013, 17:22
I can tell you that when I tried to do the opposite and go from white to black, they told me exactly the same and I had to reapply
#845238 by Miss G
04 May 2013, 17:43
I've given my VS card up completely and am very much considering starting to collect Avios, do you mind me asking which card you're using?
#845244 by spiceke
04 May 2013, 18:16
Miss G wrote:I've given my VS card up completely and am very much considering starting to collect Avios, do you mind me asking which card you're using?

ok - hold on to your hat :D

1) BA Premier - picked up a nice 2:4:1 in F last year through this to go to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. May do the same this year. Only costs £150 a year and is by far the best value for the 2:4:1. Basically each seat was £4k and I paid a total of £950 in taxes / fuel surcharge and 120k Avios when the bill should have been £8k :D

2) Lloyds Premier - last year they did an amazing 10X Avios on your first 3 months spend - or 20X Avios on overseas spend. Never bought so much in such a short space of time, including gift cards! Managed to accumulate 288k Avios on that one. Alas, bonus no longer available. Fee £50 pa. Will dump this one soon. Missed a trick by not getting Mrs S to signup so we would have had 6 months in total :|

3)Normal Lloyds Amex - Mrs S got this just for the introductory bonus - 15k if you spend £500 in each of the first 3 months. No annual fee

4) Amex Platinum - got just for the 50k introductory Avios bonus (£2k spend in 3 months). May chop that out soon after I use the No 1 lounge in LGW (gives you access and various Au cards like Cathay Pacific / Priority Lounge card). I think the introductory bonus has gone down to 30k (?), Fee is a whopping £450, but if you play it right you get £80 via Quidco and they refund you pro rata. Theoretically, they could be paying you and giving you loads of Avios.

5) VS Amex - as described earlier.

Recently there were some amazing FourSquare deals - register your card and get auto cash back (Debenhams spend £50 get £25 back etc etc) Multiple cards enabled me to recoup over £500 in cash backs on things I was spending anyway e.g spend £50 at Shell and get £15 back - so effectively a 30% discount on my petrol. Couple this with multiple cards .....and supplemental cards that all have a different number, except VS)

Happy to refer you :D
#845248 by spiceke
04 May 2013, 19:09
Yes, was going to mention Head for Points, but wasn't sure of forum rules.

It is a mine of information on this subject.

Raffles has posted on here a couple of times
#845487 by JCBR
08 May 2013, 12:07
There are no better cards out there for earning VS miles than the VS AX card.
4 miles per £1 spent on VS flights.
If there is a better one please tell me.
#845488 by JCBR
08 May 2013, 12:09
There are no better cards out there for earning VS miles than the VS AX card.
4 miles per £1 spent on VS flights.
If there is a better one please tell me.
#845489 by gumshoe
08 May 2013, 12:19
ScubaRoo wrote:I'm cancelling my Black Amex next month once I get my PE vouchers, much better earning cards out there.

See Raffles on http://www.headforpoints.com for his extensive credit card analysis.

What, the same Raffles who says there are no better airline points-earning cards than the VS black Amex?
Virgin Atlantic