This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#850079 by MrT
30 Jun 2013, 16:32
Indeed was a good one. Shame about the crap tyres.
#850081 by jodash
30 Jun 2013, 17:41
yes enjoyed it at last a real race
#850082 by joeyc
30 Jun 2013, 18:03
Poor Pirelli .. they will need to have a really careful look at their tyres. Anyone any clues as to why it happened?

It was a really good race with some amazing catchup from Hamilton y)
#850083 by McCoy
30 Jun 2013, 18:11
Nothing to do with the tyres.. it's a dreadful bit of concrete work at turn 4...

Gary Anderson spotted it...

The cars run over the green concrete, so this sharp sticky up bit of red concrete would easily rip the inside of the left tyres.. so consistent with what we saw.
#850084 by hazban
30 Jun 2013, 18:18
It's bad enough that the overheated commentators get obsessed with tyres during the race. :?
Do we need to carry this onto the v-flyer forum? v(
#850090 by joeyc
30 Jun 2013, 18:45
hazban wrote:It's bad enough that the overheated commentators get obsessed with tyres during the race. :?
Do we need to carry this onto the v-flyer forum? v(

?|

The topic is in the Galley Forum for "off topic discussion" and "Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all.." Can't see a problem here..

Cheers for that McCoy, have not managed to catch the after action reporting yet y)
#850099 by jasong
30 Jun 2013, 20:16
Come on hazban get a sense of humour, this is the british GP after all

regards jason
#850106 by MoJoJo
30 Jun 2013, 21:10
I'm not a Vettel fan so did chuckle at the cheers when his car broke. Wish McLaren would sort it out :-/
#850108 by tontybear
30 Jun 2013, 21:17
So why didn't it happen in the practice and qualifying sessions?

That concrete didn't magically get like that over night.
#850111 by McCoy
30 Jun 2013, 21:45
Because when you do lots of laps, like in a race, you're statistically a bit more likely to get close to a sharp bit, than when you do a couple of laps in qualifying.

Are you being deliberately provocative?
#850113 by tontybear
30 Jun 2013, 22:16
McCoy wrote:Because when you do lots of laps, like in a race, you're statistically a bit more likely to get close to a sharp bit, than when you do a couple of laps in qualifying.

Are you being deliberately provocative?

No and I resent the implication that I am! v( v(

It was an honest question about why suddenly this happens when people have been driving all over the track for a few days.

Could the the hot weather today have been a factor?

And from the footage on the news I've just seen it looked to me that at least one of the incidents was no where near concrete in question - so is it a problem with the tires.
#850115 by gfonk
30 Jun 2013, 22:27
To my untrained eye it simply looks like wear and tear of the track
Perhaps the heat plus the practice and qualifying plus age took its toll and it just needs to be repaired?
#850123 by MoJoJo
01 Jul 2013, 08:45
The punctures were not on the same side rear each time so the concrete cannot of been the cause
#850124 by gfonk
01 Jul 2013, 09:07
MoJoJo wrote:The punctures were not on the same side rear each time so the concrete cannot of been the cause

Interesting :?

Wonder then if it was in fact tyres. Guess we will have to wait for the results of some kind of investigation?
#850131 by MoJoJo
01 Jul 2013, 10:12
Consensus seems to be it is the tyres.

However, it doesnt matter if the curbs were the problem the tyres are meant to stand up to that pressure going over the corners, this issues is about tyres being made to degrade far to much and therefore they are too weak to withstand track temps and strenuous pressure over the the laps. Its ok having degradable tyres which were good 2 seasons ago but now they have made the tyres degrade too much and we now have a weakness problem in the tyres. Pirelli were asked to make tyres that did not last so.....

There were no issues with the Porsche cup race, Gp3 and Gp2
Virgin Atlantic