This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#852811 by catsilversword
28 Jul 2013, 17:13
Hi,

Just taken the plunger and gone headlong from pc to iMac. I have quite a lot of home videos, taken on a Panasonic camcorder, these come up with file extension .MOD, which iMac doesn't play. Anyone know if there's a work around for this, can I convert them? If I can, can I do so without losing any of the files???
#852814 by joeyc
28 Jul 2013, 17:35
Been a few years since I have been faced with something like this - would have thought iMovie had built in a converter for this by now. Guess not.

Anyways a solution lifted from a Mac forum using iMovie is below (if you are trying to use a diff program in particular let me know - personally I use the Adobe CS and Aperture for my video and photo editing)

-------------

1) Create a root folder called Mp_Root on an external drive, USB stick, SD card... (probably works with a disk image as well, though I haven't tried it)

2) Inside this folder create another folder called 101PNV01

3) Copy your .mod files inside the 101PNV01 folder and change the extensions to .mpg

4) Restart iMovie. It will now detect the external drive as a camera and allow to import all the clips using the date created/modified info as timestamps for perfect cataloguing.

iMovie does NOT re-encode the movie files, you retain full quality. It simply puts them in a .mov container and creates the thumbnails.

-----------

Simple file extension changes do the trick most of the time on a Mac, gotta love apple tech :P
#852819 by Luke12
28 Jul 2013, 17:48
VLC player will let you play them when installed on the mac - great if you are happy to keep the files in their current format and storage location and only want to play through the mac.
#852824 by catsilversword
28 Jul 2013, 19:30
Er, I'm quite sure I don't know how to create a root folder :(, so vlc player sounds more like something I can manage. It's called just that, vlc player? Am guessing its something I can download???
#852825 by Luke12
28 Jul 2013, 19:33
catsilversword wrote:Er, I'm quite sure I don't know how to create a root folder :(, so vlc player sounds more like something I can manage. It's called just that, vlc player? Am guessing its something I can download???

Yes you can download here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

:)
#852828 by catsilversword
28 Jul 2013, 20:25
What about handbrake? Just been reading about that, does it work in a similar way! I guess ideally I need to transfer my existing files, convert and then store on the mac. Does vlc or handbrake let me do this?
#852832 by joeyc
28 Jul 2013, 20:40
catsilversword wrote:Er, I'm quite sure I don't know how to create a root folder :(,

Ok, sorry should have retyped it up to make it clearer - route folder is simply a new folder with a 'route' name... in this case Mp_Root ..

Simple solution, have you tried just changing the file extensions from .mod to .mov or .mpg?
#852854 by catsilversword
29 Jul 2013, 05:23
Can I do that? If I change the fle extension, will they still work? WouldI need to do that before transferring to the mac from my external hard drive? Sorry, so many questions..... :(
#852866 by joeyc
29 Jul 2013, 09:36
catsilversword wrote:Can I do that? If I change the fle extension, will they still work? WouldI need to do that before transferring to the mac from my external hard drive? Sorry, so many questions..... :(

Transfer them to your mac first and then give it a go ;) Which program are you going to be using to view the files?
#852921 by catsilversword
29 Jul 2013, 14:25
I'm also surprised at this situation, especially as I did ask this specific question, on a couple of occasions and in different stores - all the replies were that I'd be able to copy them over and play without any need to fiddle around with different software.

I'm not sure which software I'll be using Joey - so far, the files dont seem to want to transfer!
#852933 by joeyc
29 Jul 2013, 16:21
catsilversword wrote:I'm not sure which software I'll be using Joey - so far, the files dont seem to want to transfer!

In terms of software.. for editing, for starters go for iMovie, easy to use and is a part of the iLife suite.. for simple viewing just use QuickTime player..

Ahh thats interesting, how are you trying to transfer the files? Could be a problem with the transfer medium if you can't get them from point A to B ?|

My advice, simple data key transfer from computer to computer. When the 'unreadable' files are on the iMac play around with the extensions.
#852941 by catsilversword
29 Jul 2013, 17:09
I'm trying to transfer the files from ann external hard drive. Transferring over documents is fine, it just seems to be the vids. Some of them are .mov (taken on an iPhone) and these transfer fine, but not the .mod ones, so it doesn't seem there's a problem with the transfer medium. When I try to transfer, I get a message to say it can't be imported because it isn't a recognised format!
#852943 by CHill710
29 Jul 2013, 17:28
catsilversword wrote:I'm trying to transfer the files from ann external hard drive. Transferring over documents is fine, it just seems to be the vids. Some of them are .mov (taken on an iPhone) and these transfer fine, but not the .mod ones, so it doesn't seem there's a problem with the transfer medium. When I try to transfer, I get a message to say it can't be imported because it isn't a recognised format!

Try changing the file name to .mov and then try to transfer them. As you say the files you have from your iPhone have transferred it could be that this is what is causing the problem.
#852974 by catsilversword
30 Jul 2013, 06:31
Ok, curioser and curioser. Changing the extension to .mov seems to make no difference, regardless of the fact that files taken on an diphone do transfer! What did seem to work though, was changing the extension to .mpg.... maybe I misunderstood you though, as I didn't realise your suggestion was to change the file extension before trying to transfer the files. That's going to be a huge job then.

More strange is that a file sent to me, an M4V on, will not open. It could easily be that I'm missing something simple yet vital (to be honest, I'm feeling a total numpty here). Would it be safe to download something like quick time? I prefer to stick with apple stuff if I can really....
#853002 by joeyc
30 Jul 2013, 11:18
.mov extensions are used mainly by iMovie :P

.m4v extensions should work, again depending on the program you are using ... You are not being a numpty at all. When i made the shift from Windows to a Mac a few years back I was asking similar questions - the poor apple store staff bore the brunt of my questioning :P

Sorry cat, every way you try to do this the best thing is to reformat them one by one... reduces the chances of any glitches. Unless of course you want me to talk you through a work around involving automator... it will allow you to set a series of macros that complete in order on different files... something that the "genius'" at the apple store should be able to do :P

Another solution I suppose is take the external drive into the apple store, tell them what's up and what you were told and make them do it :P

You won't need to take your iMac in, they will be able to convert the files on the shop floor for you and put them on the hard drive for easy drag and drop transfer when you get home.

QuickTime player is a solid piece of software and I thought came preinstalled on macs... actually it does - you already have it. You can learn more about it here
#853020 by catsilversword
30 Jul 2013, 13:23
You're right Joey - after I did that last post, I did indeed find quick time is installed. But I'm still stuck - and also came to the conclusions you suggested, either to convert the files, one by one (which will take beyond forever) or to take my hard drive in to the store. Which sounds like the better option. I also bought a 121 supprt package, so will try and call them tonight.

So frustrating - but thanks for all your help. It helps to know that I'm not the only person to find the switch less than straightforward :X
Virgin Atlantic