This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#854554 by jfenney
16 Aug 2013, 14:17
Well call me an anaroak but I have got the points bug to keep my points flowing. This promotion by Tesco is offering 1,000 bonus Clubcard points when you pre-order ‘Call of Duty : Ghosts’ for £5! This is 2,400 Avios points or 2,500 Flying Club miles for just a fiver.
How it is meant to work is that you get a display box scanned at the check-out, pay £5, and receive a special receipt. Visit the store on the day the game is released (5th November) and you are guaranteed to get a copy and you will get your £5 back as a discount. The 1,000 bonus Clubcard points are credited with the pre-order payment.
There is no obligation to ever buy the game when it is eventually released. This means that you can treat this as a chance to buy some Avios airmiles for 0.2p each!

I have just pre ordered in store both games on the ps and Xbox for ten pounds and now have £20 of club card points to transfer for 5000 miles.

By the way don't overkill as Tesco have been known to delete points if you decide to get 20 copy's . Hope this helps
#854557 by jfenney
16 Aug 2013, 14:56
astrovern wrote:Got mine earlier in the week, although I didn't get a "special receipt" - not that I'm actually going to go and buy the game when it comes out anyway. :)

Me neither lol :D
#854561 by marshy11
16 Aug 2013, 15:46
Top tip.
#854571 by mallin
16 Aug 2013, 17:11
Yes on the Head for Points site, Raffles, had all the details of this offer on his site. Think they are limiting it to 3 copies.

Have signed up for points earning e-mails on his site, it really is a good source of information for point collectors. :D
#854732 by spiceke
17 Aug 2013, 23:45
Got the PS3 and XBOX360 versions and then did the same for Mrs S

So £20 total outlay for 4,000 Clubcard points / 10k VS Miles / 9,600 Avios.

I always look at the miles need for a J return to the US (MCO etc, rather than NY).

Based on 100k miles I believe that means it would only be £200 to get a return J (plus taxes and YQ charges)if my maths is correct.

That is not to bad a proposition !

I know that some of us can be a bit obsessive about this miles lark, but today was a perfect example of why it is worthwhile.

My son came home for a few days today and said he fancied going to Berlin later in the week (great place to visit - been there a couple of times).

Got the old Avios account up and they only had Econ or Club outbound and Club back. Anyway, gave him the Club both ways for the grand total of 18k Avios plus £50. Booking this with cash would have been £900 (then again, he would not have had Club for cash, but that was still looking at something like £250 return in Econ).
#854774 by jfenney
18 Aug 2013, 10:19
747Rich wrote:Can this be done on-line?

Yes rich but you will be forking out the £40 for whole game outright rather than just £5 but if your after the game anyway it still can be done :D
#854793 by tontybear
18 Aug 2013, 13:06
jfenney wrote:
747Rich wrote:Can this be done on-line?

Yes rich but you will be forking out the £40 for whole game outright rather than just £5 but if your after the game anyway it still can be done :D

Head for Points (there is a website but I just 'liked' the facebook page) does say that if you order on-line you still get the bonus points but that you are paying for the full game.

The 'advantage' of the in-store offer is that you only cough up a fiver but don't have to buy the game once it is released.

I wonder how many of the reservation receipts will accidentally on purpose be lost ): ):
#854807 by jfenney
18 Aug 2013, 16:02
tontybear wrote:
jfenney wrote:
747Rich wrote:Can this be done on-line?[/

I wonder how many of the reservation receipts will accidentally on purpose be lost ): ):

My 2 for sure :D :D
#854905 by Phoenix
19 Aug 2013, 17:00
I'm trying to cobble together ~5000 miles to get me up to the amount I need for an upgrade at the end of September. I know that the tesco points can take up to 28 days to transfer, in practice however how long do they take?
#854913 by DragonLady
19 Aug 2013, 18:12
Phoenix wrote:I'm trying to cobble together ~5000 miles to get me up to the amount I need for an upgrade at the end of September. I know that the tesco points can take up to 28 days to transfer, in practice however how long do they take?

If you have unredeemed vouchers sitting in your Tesco account my experience is that they transfer pretty quickly.
A case of Virgin wine will net you a quick 3,000 miles if you need a few more :) .
DL
#854916 by mallin
19 Aug 2013, 18:41
Do remember Phoenix, that the points will go on your clubcard account and the next run is not till 20th October, so you won't be able to use them till after then.

It takes about 5 more days for them to be usable. Linda
#855001 by mcuth
20 Aug 2013, 13:41
Went & did this in my local Tesco Extra yesterday, but no bonus points - guess it must've finished :(

Cheers
Michael
#855035 by mswadley
20 Aug 2013, 21:28
mcuth wrote:Went & did this in my local Tesco Extra yesterday, but no bonus points - guess it must've finished :(
Cheers
Michael

Me too - just prepaid for two in store but miles not logged onto my receipt.
Will this happen or should I take back for refund? £10 for 5000m sounded good but not keen on the games!
Virgin Atlantic