This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#855171 by Slipperman
22 Aug 2013, 10:01
Probably very unlikely to happen to any of you...but,if you get a knock at the door and someone tells you you may be a beneficiary to an unclaimed estate don't do as I did, almost 4 years ago now,sign up thinking "well, I've got nothing to lose"

Story Here

Yep, we made the Daily Mail

Now we wait to see if the compensation can be collected, however there has been plenty of time for the assets to disappear....
#855266 by at240
22 Aug 2013, 23:41
I read this with interest - thanks for posting and sorry to hear about it all.

Out of interest, why did the solicitor put it in the hands of this company, instead of administering it himself or appointing, say, another practice to deal with it?

(Understand if you'd rather not comment.)
#855268 by tontybear
22 Aug 2013, 23:46
at240 wrote:I read this with interest - thanks for posting and sorry to hear about it all.

Out of interest, why did the solicitor put it in the hands of this company, instead of administering it himself or appointing, say, another practice to deal with it?

During programmes like 'Heir Hunters' these are the estates that have no wills hence no solicitors to do the work. Before the estate can be claimed by the crown they are listed and that is how these firms pick them up.
#855311 by Slipperman
23 Aug 2013, 10:14
at240 wrote:I read this with interest - thanks for posting and sorry to hear about it all.

In this particular case the Family Solicitor for the deceased was going to hand the estate to the crown as he believed she had no relatives. He decided to see if there were relatives and picked a heir hunter company from an advert. The women who died was the daughter of my grandparents, born out of wedlock and 'given' away. My grandparents never mentioned the existence of her to their subsequent 3 sons, hence we never knew she existed.

Part of the Heir Hunter agreement we signed stated the estate is given to the heir hunter company to distribute...