This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#857360 by slinky09
14 Sep 2013, 07:35
As ever, asking the knowledgeable folk here ...

I had BT Infinity installed two days ago and so far underwowed ... web pages are not loading, speed is not that great (e.g. watching YouTube films) and the connection often 'hangs'. I don't really want to get on the phone to India to be asked (is your thigh bone connected to your knee bone) and I've tried some forums but no clear tips yet. For info. infinity connects to BT hub and then to Time Capsule and this is what BT itself says:

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 07.32.31.png

Any tips?
#857362 by Hamster
14 Sep 2013, 07:41
I have infinity and the only problem is WiFi limits the speed, if you are plugged into the interned we get the full speeds, over wifi is capped to max 20mb for wifi-G and about 40mb for wifi-N

Have you tried plugging your laptop straight into the home hub? Using the red port (I think, I'm at work so can't go look!), what speed you get then?

Www.speedtest.net is a quick way of testing speed, and a differe source to the bt software.
#857363 by marshy11
14 Sep 2013, 07:42
We had infinity installed about 6 weeks ago. It took about a week for the speed to 'settle'.

I found wifi slowest initially and installed a couple of home plugs in the macs furthest from the hub. Seems to have really sorted out that issue - we live in a barn with 3ft thick walls.
#857366 by slinky09
14 Sep 2013, 08:18
So, seems I should be a little more patient (not my strong suit) ... will update after a suitable period.
#857367 by marshy11
14 Sep 2013, 08:26
Give it a few more days then do a wired speed test.

If your speed is ok but your wireless is dubious then I would look at either moving the hub somewhere more central or using a wifi extender (like a home plug but for wireless £30 ish from Amazon). We use home plus and an extender, purely because our walls are so dense. If I am in the same room as the hub our wifi is super fast, without the extender I get snail pace or worse. With the extender it's like being next to the hub.
#857370 by pjh
14 Sep 2013, 08:44
marshy11 wrote:Give it a few more days then do a wired speed test.

If your speed is ok but your wireless is dubious then I would look at either moving the hub somewhere more central or using a wifi extender (like a home plug but for wireless £30 ish from Amazon). We use home plus and an extender, purely because our walls are so dense. If I am in the same room as the hub our wifi is super fast, without the extender I get snail pace or worse. With the extender it's like being next to the hub.

Which extender (wireless) did you go for? I've been thinking about getting one but find Amazon reviews not the best source as usually I'm just about to press 'buy' I spot the one star review that says something along the lines of 'complete rubbish, and it burned down the house and killed my cat'.
#857371 by Hamster
14 Sep 2013, 08:47
Have you done a speed test with your device plugged into the home hub Slinky?
#857375 by marshy11
14 Sep 2013, 09:18
pjh wrote:
marshy11 wrote:Give it a few more days then do a wired speed test.

Which extender (wireless) did you go for? I've been thinking about getting one but find Amazon reviews not the best source as usually I'm just about to press 'buy' I spot the one star review that says something along the lines of 'complete rubbish, and it burned down the house and killed my cat'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi ... _orig_subj

I think the key with this, is to set it up next to your hub, then it's a little bit of trial and error locating the best plug socket 'just' at the end of your hub range.
#857380 by mitchja
14 Sep 2013, 10:03
Fibre doesn't go through the same training period ADSL does. It will start at it's fastest speed then then slow down as it monitors your line stats.

If you are using Apple devices, Time Capsules are the best you can get for the fastest wireless connection so I doubt that is your issue.

Many fibre instals are simply not done correctly. Did the engineer replace the faceplate on your master phone socket for a new fibre one?

Sounds like yet another rushed/botched instal to me. There are many reports about these online.

There is also a way you can just use your fibre modem plugged straight into your Time Capsule and thus avoid using the BT Homehub. Though separate fibre modems will soon be a thing of the past.
#857383 by stevebrass
14 Sep 2013, 10:10
I would definitely test the speed by direct connection to the home hub.

If this is okay then consider how the TC and the home hub are operating together.
#857387 by MoJoJo
14 Sep 2013, 10:36
I'm not sure what the latest homehub is like but I had no end of issues with them in the past so replaced it with a Netgear router
#857392 by flyingfox
14 Sep 2013, 11:17
I thought my BT infinity was copper upto the junction box at the top of the lane then is fibre to the exchange hence the need for the second box attached to the Hub. So not a true fibre to exchange connection.

Thanks
#857398 by mitchja
14 Sep 2013, 11:59
Fibre broadband is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) so the fibre bit is only ever between the exchange and the street cabinet but this can achieve faster speeds and the copper line is much shorter between your house and the fibre cabinet compared to ADSL where it's copper all the way to the exchange. The fibre cabinets are dotted around towns (usually next to standard green telephone cabinets).

The downside is, if your telephone line is an EO line (exchange only line; your telephone line is connected directly to the telephone exchange with no street cab in-between), like mine is even though I'm half a mile from my exchange :(! you cannot have FTTC fibre broadband as a street cab is needed for FTTC to work.

You can now get FTTP (fibre to the premises) in some areas now. This is true fibre in the sense that's it's fibre all the way to your home and can offer even faster speeds. It's still relatively expensive yet (needs a lot of street work to instal it) and not offered by many ISP's. This is also one option for people with EO lines, though BT are looking at alternatives for EO lines.

The irony is that ordinary ADSL won't work down a fibre optic telephone line and many new house builds had fibre telephone lines running up to the house so this had to be ripped out and replaced with copper to allow ADSL to work, so this cooper will need replacing again with fibre for future use!!
#857422 by David
14 Sep 2013, 17:08
Something definitely wrong there, we have infinity 1 at work with a sync speed of 41mb and an average actual speed (via speedtest.net) of 38.6 wired and 36.9 wireless, and there's multiple switches etc

At home we have infinity 2 with a sync speed of 74mb and an actual speed of between 66mb and 70mb which also had switches etc in the "loop"

A phone call to India looks a necessity. n(

David

Ps , IE 9 is very very slow compared to chrome even on a brand new laptop.
#857423 by locutus
14 Sep 2013, 17:20
Yes, that does seem a tad slow compared to mine

How is the time capsule connected to the BT Home Hub? The Sync speed from the modem looks very good.
#857440 by enjoyingit
14 Sep 2013, 20:24
locutus wrote:Yes, that does seem a tad slow compared to mine

How is the time capsule connected to the BT Home Hub? The Sync speed from the modem looks very good.

Now thats fast, is that from work or home? out of interest how much do they charge for that?
#857442 by gfonk
14 Sep 2013, 20:40
enjoyingit wrote:

Now thats fast, is that from work or home? out of interest how much do they charge for that?

Is that right? How is that possible in UK?
#857443 by enjoyingit
14 Sep 2013, 20:50
gfonk wrote:
enjoyingit wrote:

check out hyperoptic.com. i think warren buffett invested in these guys earlier in the year. its certainly the way forward but infrastructure cost must be hugh, hence my question on cost
#857446 by locutus
14 Sep 2013, 21:36
gfonk wrote:
enjoyingit wrote:

It's from home, I pay £50 a month for 1Gbps up and down, unlimited.
#857451 by locutus
14 Sep 2013, 21:59
enjoyingit wrote:great value, however did you have to contribute to installation costs?

No, it was a free install. As I couldn't get any faster than about 8Mbit/s before I am quite happy with it.
#857452 by enjoyingit
14 Sep 2013, 22:02
locutus wrote:
enjoyingit wrote:great value, however did you have to contribute to installation costs?

No, it was a free install. As I couldn't get any faster than about 8Mbit/s before I am quite happy with it.

With no intention to offend anyone, i guess you are living in London in a modern apartment development ?
Virgin Atlantic