This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#860268 by Neil
25 Oct 2013, 13:17
Are you sure it isn't just the standard warning text they send when you are out of the UK?

I received the following when in theUS last month:
Using the web outside Europe costs £6/MB. We'll tell you when you've spent £20 and then again at £40. We won't charge you more than £40 on your current bill and you can use up to 50MB

That is just a standard text warning you about the potential costs. I used my 02 iPhone whilst in the US on wifi only and was not charged anything extra, even though I received the text above.
#860270 by Petmadness
25 Oct 2013, 13:56
Neil wrote:Are you sure it isn't just the standard warning text they send when you are out of the UK?

I received the following when in theUS last month:
Using the web outside Europe costs £6/MB. We'll tell you when you've spent £20 and then again at £40. We won't charge you more than £40 on your current bill and you can use up to 50MB

That is just a standard text warning you about the potential costs. I used my 02 iPhone whilst in the US on wifi only and was not charged anything extra, even though I received the text above.

Same here Neil. When I get on the plane I disable Cellular data, 4G etc and As soon as I turn my phone on in the USA and it connects to a network I always get the standard charges text. Like you, I use wifi and get no additional charges y)
#860273 by gfonk
25 Oct 2013, 14:32
Me too
I used my iPhone in the Far East all on wifi and only got charged £10 which was for the calls and texts I made
Used free wifi in the hotels and coffee shops and no problem at all
#860294 by gfonk
26 Oct 2013, 08:44
MoJoJo wrote:But that's the standard message for data not wifi. I'm at a loss how/why O2 charge you to use WiFi :-/

I don't believe that they do charge for wifi
ISTBK however I was told by O2 that wifi usage was free and was not charged for data usage via wifi
Perhaps a good idea to get written clarification from O2
#860297 by MoJoJo
26 Oct 2013, 09:41
easygoingeezer wrote:Just thought I would let you know that once again even after switching everything off as advised I got the "you are using wifi outside Europe" message and would be charged for Data up to £40.
Switched the phone off and used my old IP4 instead with no sim in.

O2 are little shysters but didn't get my money this time.

I don't get charged for Wifi use with Vodafone but it appears easygoing geezer does with O2 :0
#860303 by jilly
26 Oct 2013, 13:36
I use wifi all the time in the usa on my O2 iphone. I get the same standard message every time I arrive but have never been charged a penny.

Egg, just check your bill online and it itemizes any charges so you can identify exactly where it comes from.

Jilly
#860309 by easygoingeezer
26 Oct 2013, 16:44
Last year I did get charged the £40 extra, this year I have £2.85 on my bill as international. At that point I switched off and kept it in the safe.
#860311 by MoJoJo
26 Oct 2013, 17:47
Have just had a google. Seems to be a common issue with O2 that they charge you to use wifi, there's even some people have been charged to connect to home wifi!!
#860318 by gfonk
26 Oct 2013, 22:14
MoJoJo wrote:Have just had a google. Seems to be a common issue with O2 that they charge you to use wifi, there's even some people have been charged to connect to home wifi!!

How can they get away with it?
Wifi is supposed to be free?
#860320 by Hev60
26 Oct 2013, 23:56
After I returned home from California in March, I received a bill for nearly £9 charging for 21 "Roaming text messages, non-EU" . All these text messages were for the same day and supposedly made over a 32second period ii)

I phoned O2 and said that I doubt even a text manic could type out that quickly or press a repeat send button to the same number so quickly.
They apologised and deducted the charge. When I asked how this could happen, the reply was "just one of those things" v(

Like all of you have said, I too had everything possible turned off but somehow something went wrong.
#860321 by gfonk
26 Oct 2013, 23:58
I still find it odd that this problem seems to be affecting only some O2 users? Hmm
I have never had any problems with O2 when roaming so find it strange.
If it was affecting everyone that might ne different.
#860342 by easygoingeezer
27 Oct 2013, 17:52
gfonk wrote:I still find it odd that this problem seems to be affecting only some O2 users? Hmm
I have never had any problems with O2 when roaming so find it strange.
If it was affecting everyone that might ne different.

Well it certainly happened to me, twice now. May be its just my and a few others IP5 who knows. When I googled it and found others had a similar experience it kind of confirmed it was not just me. Can't see why anyone would make it up.
#860385 by Silver Fox
28 Oct 2013, 14:34
In CA at the moment, on wifi with O2, I have a dual SIM Android Acer E2, absolutely no issues, I don't get any warning messages from O2 when I turn the UK SIM on to see if anyone has texted me. What happens when you speak to O2 about the wifi message you are getting as to the circumstance under which it is issued. We are not going to fix it here so go to the top:
Ronan Dunne ([email protected]) or this thing: https://twitter.com/ronandunneo2

Starting at the bottom and trying to work up to the top (fnarr, fnarr) just doesn't work.
#860436 by easygoingeezer
29 Oct 2013, 13:46
Will pop in to O2 and ask, too late for last years extra £40 charge and this years £2.75 is neither here nor there. Will just make sure I take an old iphone minus sim for any further trips.
A little surprised because it hasn't happened to some customers that they think it can't have happened to others, but then that seemed to be the opinion on the O2 forum as well, hay ho
#860437 by Neil
29 Oct 2013, 13:48
I don't think anyone is disbelieving that it has happened to you, or others, I personally just wanted clarification on what exactly the texts were saying so I know to look out for it myself.

You should go in to o2 and get it sorted as it is crazy that you have to take an old/different phone away with you just because of an issue at their end.
#860441 by gfonk
29 Oct 2013, 14:43
I wasnt disbelieving that it had happened to you either. Just surprised and wondered just what o2 had to say about it.
#860444 by Silver Fox
29 Oct 2013, 17:23
Based on speaking to O2 I am disbelieving that you are bothering to speak to oiks in shops that will likely not care enough to fix it. :) It is just ridiculous that they have no clue as to what/where/why.

I strongly suggest starting at the top instead of bashing around on forums and going to the shop as I am sure you have better things to do with your time.
#860566 by starquake
31 Oct 2013, 23:53
I'm glad I'm rid of O2. Roaming is extortionate - was when I left 2 years ago. Got an awful £200 bill from forgetting to turn roaming data off for 24 hours once.

T-mobile never done me wrong roaming, doesn't allow data until you accept a charge in browser. So can't screw up - and you buy in bolt-ons - so it's fairer I think. You know what you spending as you spend it - as it stops working when bolt-on runs out.

EE apparently is same, and is VERY reasonable in US/Europe on *some* priceplans. Their roaming plans allow for 25 quid 30 days 1Gb data across europe for example. One off charge, but enough for me to get by for a month without shutting down data if around europe.

Given my hectic travel this year of being away 2/4 weeks on average, I'm going to be moving to EE upon renewal in Jan I think.
#860579 by mitchja
01 Nov 2013, 16:52
4GEE roaming does indeed work in exactly the same way T-Mobile UK roaming works, requiring you to purchase any roaming data add-ons once you arrive and once the roaming allowance runs out, the data stops completely.

4GEE uses the T-Mobile billing, account and provisioning platform so everything works in exactly the same way as is does with T-Mobile.

The only difference with 4GEE is that you need to turn 4G off before you travel as EE have no 4G roaming partners at present, though this may change.

The new EE4G 24month 'extra' tariffs launched this week also include roaming calls/texts as well so you only have to add-on data when you travel if required. They are very reasonable price wise as well.
#860609 by Silver Fox
03 Nov 2013, 08:59
Just because people can post to idiotbook and twitter they think they are suddenly IT experts now. Naturally any problems are the phone companys though. Yawn.
Virgin Atlantic