This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#858304 by Concorde RIP
25 Sep 2013, 11:07
Hello all,

Sudden trip to Clearwater via MCO (with VS folks - a G bagged at 3 weeks notice! The airline gods must be smiling on me!).

So, I want to stay overnight on arrival at or near MCO, then travel down to Clearwater the next day.

Advice 1 - hotel recommendations for MCO - requirements, not too big/sprawling, can smoke somewhere nearby, easy access (complementary shuttle etc), easy for taxi/car to pick me up from and head off to Clearwater, doesn't need to be 5 star, but mustt not be 2 star!!! Comfortable with a bar/lounge and restaurant....suggestions very welcome indeed.

Advice 2 - (I don't drive), so will need a car from abovfe hotel down to Clearwater, then a return from Clearwater to MCO a week later (deal on price?). Requirements, reliable, safe, not a luxury limo, not a VW Beetle! Suggestions on companies very welcome indeed (Mears? ~There must be others!).

Looking to tap the immense knowledge/experience on here to cut to the chase on above choices.

I promise to do TRs on my return, and not wait months to do them!

Thanks All!
#858349 by willd
25 Sep 2013, 20:29
For airport hotel- just go the Hyatt Regency in the airport. You can see the rooms from the atrium as you exit from Airside 4. Check in is simply up the escaltors by security for airside 4.

4 Star I believe, on site so there is no faffing with getting a shuttle bus, McCoys Bar/Restaurant is good and there is a second restaurant on the top floor but never eaten there. Plus for the plane geek there is an outdoor swimming pool on the roof with runway views!

Plus being on site might mean its easier to get transport down to Clearwater.
#858358 by buns
25 Sep 2013, 21:09
Concorde

Have you considered burning miles to get you to Clearwater the night you arrive?

Mrs Buns and I have done it on a few occasions and found it a super way to start a beach holiday the following morning. Admittedly this was in the days when there was not a mileage limit, but I am sure it would certainly reduce the $200+ costs

Nice to get the G by the way y)

buns
#858394 by Concorde RIP
26 Sep 2013, 16:08
Thanks folks - I thought I'd been sent to Coventry for a while there!

Advice taken - MCO Hyatt Regency booked.

I decided to go with a car service for the moment, and went with HappyLimo.com as I've used them before.

Having said that, I still haven't had my email confirmation from them, so might need an alternate and will investigate the 17.5k CDC option if it comes to that - which I hadn't thought of, so thanks!

And so, flying VS again for the first time in a couple of years, getting quite nostalgic actually from the hold music that hasn't changed!

PS - does anyone else think it amusing that they play "Dancing on the ceiling" as hold music for an airline?:-)
Virgin Atlantic