This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#862148 by locutus
03 Dec 2013, 10:14
The USA has been added to Three's Feel At home scheme, where you get your UK plan allowance when roaming in selected countries.

So for a £15 PAYG SIM, you now get unlimited data in the US and some other countries too, and can text and call home.

Link
#862161 by locutus
03 Dec 2013, 13:52
I should get 4G next month for the same price I'm paying now, £12.90, and with unlimited data.

Three don't like activating roaming immediately on a contract SIM, saying i had to wait 60 days, but they said they would activate it if I ported my number over.

Used Feel like home in Copenhagen a few months ago, was fine for general surfing. I'm mostly happy with them.
#862224 by starquake
04 Dec 2013, 20:14
BBC reporting 3 will do "free" roaming including data to US (and Macau actually amonst others) in New year.

Game changer for me, I'll be changing contract immediately, despite 3 having zero coverage at home, thats fixable with one of their coverage extenders... but the free 4g, free roaming to US... makes it VERY attractive for someone who is in US 2 months a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25212539
#862226 by Silver Fox
04 Dec 2013, 20:33
I am there for 4 months a year and it is not attractive to me at all. I have a US SIM with a local number, I don't even bother with data given the free wifi all over the place. Obviously, YMMV. If it works for you, I am pleased, honest ! :)
#862246 by Harpers Tate
05 Dec 2013, 11:32
It's a ground-breaking deal, IMO. But a word of warning: read the small print. Calling UK numbers (including mobiles) and using data is all fine. But if you call a non-UK number, including one in the country you are in - it's still charged at sky-high roaming rates.
#862281 by mitchja
05 Dec 2013, 20:30
If it's anything like the EE tariffs that include roaming calls/texts (no data though), calls to access your voicemail are also not included either.

Voicemail is usually what you get ripped off with when roaming, hence why I always turn it off before I travel ;)
#862305 by locutus
05 Dec 2013, 23:51
Please be aware that standard roaming charges will apply for listening to your voicemail messages when you're abroad, unless you’re in a Feel At Home country and are using available minutes from your plan or Add-on allowance.

It's also always free to receive a call in a feel at home country.
#862388 by mitchja
08 Dec 2013, 13:04
I've just read another forum and it seems there are teething problems with the system at the minute as people are complaining they are being charged for making/receiving calls in the US with this system. Apparently calling Three customer service from abroad is not included oddly enough!

Anyone getting roaming charges do seem to be getting refunds when they raise it with Three on their return though.

Just something to watch out for :)

I know EE had issues when they launched their roaming plans as roaming was not being enabled on their accounts even though people had roaming plans so their handset didn't work when roaming!!

On a side-note, it's always a good idea to phone your network before you travel just to make sure roaming is actually enabled as usually by default it's not on pay monthly plans, especially if you have just started a new plan with a new network.

It's always easier to do it before you travel then having to mess around trying to contact them via landlines or social media etc whilst your are abroad.
#862397 by gumshoe
08 Dec 2013, 18:33
Silver Fox wrote:I have turned my voicemail off, period. My life is richer without it and my hair has started to grow back. :)

Ditto (well apart from the hair!)

They can text if it's urgent.
Virgin Atlantic