This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#869618 by CHill710
02 Apr 2014, 09:46
I volunteered last week to be a pretend pax as part of the terminal 2 trials process. I am currently sat in the departures lounge (after being frisked by security who I beleive do it to me on purpose!!) apparently arriving on a LH flight in Y.
T2 is nice and bright a huge improvement on T1 almost a carbon copy of T5 with LHRs usual mix of high end stores (Burberry mulberry etc) with WHSmiths, boots and a John Lewis.

I am currently enjoying a selection of cakes and tea/coffee provided by Heathrow.

Will update later after I have arrived in to LHR from LHR.
#869622 by gumshoe
02 Apr 2014, 10:10
It's good fun isn't it!

I did a trial back in Feb involving testing the drop-off process in the car park. It went horribly wrong so let's hope they learn from it!

Got another big one next week, looking forward to it.
#869629 by CHill710
02 Apr 2014, 10:53
I am now over in the B gates and enjoying views of T2A to my right the southern runway infront of me (gate B41) and on the other side views over the BA hangars the fire training rig and the VS hangar. The views from here are better than T5 as it is more central to the airport site.

Just waiting now for a non existent flight to board/arrive (a bit strange but fun)

I would post photos but they are asking for en element of supprise when the terminal opens.
#869631 by joeyc
02 Apr 2014, 11:06
CHill710 wrote:Just waiting now for a non existent flight to board/arrive (a bit strange but fun)

Wow that must be weird, although I am sure that any BA pax awaiting a flight to Belfast can relate... :P

Enjoy 8D
#869644 by CHill710
02 Apr 2014, 12:43
joeyc wrote:
CHill710 wrote:Just waiting now for a non existent flight to board/arrive (a bit strange but fun)

Wow that must be weird, although I am sure that any BA pax awaiting a flight to Belfast can relate... :P

Enjoy 8D

I know does that flight ever depart?? It is certainly never on time!

That was an interesting experiance. I think sinage needs to be a bit better but other than that a good terminal as far as they go.

Nice that LHR have put on lunch/sandwiches and a nice gift for volenteering.

Was interesting chatting to one of the project staff saying that LHR like high end stores however they are never busy and some only need 1sale a month to hit their targets.
I did ask why no high street store names in Heathrow??

Have now come over to T3 and sat in the window at zone A waiting for my coach home (feels a bit like home here) and I am watching some VS crew/staff and some DL staff having photos taken to celebrate DL moving in to T3 (or the 4 desks to the far left of zone A)
#869688 by Roxy-Popsy
02 Apr 2014, 21:19
Waves from me too! :)

I was there today as well. I drove & all went smoothly into the car park, just couldn't find my car after the trial ended :| I found it by using the 'find my car' computer located by the ticket machine. I just fed in my car registration & up popped a photo & details on the floor & bay. I was on the wrong floor :0

I took part in several previous trials but each of the ones I took part in commenced at airport hotels. Free parking & free brekkie before the briefings, then transferred to the terminal by coach. High tea provided after returning to the hotel before the debrief & Q& A session.

Today my brief was to connect to a flight to Stavanger within T2 which went smoothly. I went to airside areas of the airport I'd not visited previously as approx 50 of us were transferred by coach to an arrivals area, then left to find our own way.

Last week I went to T2B & enjoyed great views of Concorde & 16 snow ploughs all lined up whilst I ate my picnic lunch which was provided.

I took part in the T5 trials & found the experience very interesting which is why I signed up for the T2 trials. I've chatted to some very interesting folks whilst sitting on the coaches or queueing for various reasons.

The free gifts today will be useful, a small digital clock & a multi use adaptor.

Anyone who lives in London or the South East may have seen the report from T2 on the South East local news at 6.30pm.

Will wave next week when I return, & again at the end of April & mid May. I believe that the organisers are still recruiting for the future trials which include Saturday 17th May.

R-P
#869692 by gumshoe
02 Apr 2014, 22:08
Roxy-Popsy wrote:I believe that the organisers are still recruiting for the future trials which include Saturday 17th May.

You are quite right R-P - big trials on Weds 30 April and Sat 17 May are now open for booking.

I've just signed up for the 17th - maybe we should hold an impromptu V-Flyer get together!
#869713 by CHill710
03 Apr 2014, 06:31
gumshoe wrote:
I've just signed up for the 17th - maybe we should hold an impromptu V-Flyer get together!

I will look in to a V-flyer meet and will request a weekend off from work.
#869716 by Roxy-Popsy
03 Apr 2014, 08:05
I'm up for that :)

We might have to meet up before &/or afterwards depending on the instructions the organisers give each of us, as not all trials pax are necessarily given the same directions if the T5 trials are anything to go by.

R-P

P.S the lemon cup cakes were yummy y)
#869730 by CHill710
03 Apr 2014, 11:49
Roxy-Popsy wrote:I'm up for that :)

We might have to meet up before &/or afterwards depending on the instructions the organisers give each of us, as not all trials pax are necessarily given the same directions if the T5 trials are anything to go by.

R-P

P.S the lemon cup cakes were yummy y)

Yes the lemon cupcakes were good.

Good news I am off on the 17th so will apply for a place later today and will book a hotel @lhr for the night before.
#869741 by CHill710
03 Apr 2014, 15:45
Place booked on the trial 17/5 group 2 departures arrivals and connections

And booked a room at the double tree heathrow for the night before.
#870156 by gumshoe
09 Apr 2014, 10:39
My turn today - waiting for my South African Airways flight to Durban from gate B42.

It definitely has the T5 feel although when you go down the escalators from security to the main departure lounge I didn't feel like I was catapulted straight into Duty Free like in T5 - it's there, on either side of you, but it's easy to avoid!

VS Little Red, of course, is due to move across in Nov and it seems they will definitely be using the Aer Lingus lounge (A2, on the right as you exit security).

There are six lounges in total:

A1 - Lufthansa
A2 - Aer Lingus
A3 - Plaza Premium (pay to enter)
B1 - United
B2 - Singapore Airlines
B3 - Air Canada

So it looks like, as with T5, the short haul flights will mainly depart from the main building and long haul from the B satellite.

Impressed so far!
Last edited by gumshoe on 09 Apr 2014, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
#870157 by Blacky1
09 Apr 2014, 10:54
gumshoe wrote:My turn today - waiting for my South African Airways flight to Durban from gate B42.

It definitely has the T5 feel although when you go down the escalators from security to the main departure lounge I didn't feel like I was catapulted straight into Duty Free like in T5 - it's there, on either side of you, but it's easy to avoid!

VS Little Red, of course, is due to move across in Nov and it seems they will definitely be using the Aer Lingus lounge (A2, on the right as you exit security).

There are six lounges in total:

A1 - Lufthansa
A2 - Aer Lingus
A3 - Plaza Premium (pay to enter)
B1 - United (it says only open 0500-1000)
B2 - Singapore Airlines
B3 - Air Canada

So it looks like, as with T5, the short haul flights will mainly depart from the main building and long haul from the B satellite.

Impressed so far!

Have fun gumshoe , signed up myself the other day so hopefully I will get a turn y)
#870163 by gumshoe
09 Apr 2014, 12:06
Thanks Blacky - I think they're still recruiting for 30 April.

A few other observations - the Premium Plaza lounge is hidden away in the corner of the entrance from Flight Connections downstairs. Not clear if it has any windows to the outside world.

The entrance to the Aer Lingus/Little Red lounge is still covered in hoardings and the interior hasn't been fitted out yet, but from what I could see over the hoardings it looks quite spacious and has good airfield (possibly even runway) views. So a huge improvement on Servisair in T1!

The B gates are a loooong walk through a tunnel under the apron. No shuttle here! There are travelators though. Very few facilities in the B satellite other than a Caffe Nero and a small Boots/WH Smith. The United, Singapore & Air Canada lounges look big and airy though.

All in all, a very pleasant terminal. I look forward to being a regular visitor when LR move in - shame they have to be last!
#870165 by samfarmer
09 Apr 2014, 12:13
Any idea on access to the lounge for little red? Will it be UC onward Connexions or is there a chance that the lowly silver folk might get a look in?

Do we think the pay to enter lounge will be part of the pp family?
#870166 by Blacky1
09 Apr 2014, 12:19
CHill710 wrote:Why not book a place and join us on the 17th may Blacky.

Not quite sure how it works chris , so I registered the other day and assumed they will contact me ? Or is this not the case ,I will have another look at the email because I have a bad habit of just browsing over things and not reading properly
#870167 by gumshoe
09 Apr 2014, 12:25
samfarmer wrote:Any idea on access to the lounge for little red? Will it be UC onward Connexions or is there a chance that the lowly silver folk might get a look in?

Do we think the pay to enter lounge will be part of the pp family?

I doubt Ags will get access I'm afraid - I'd have thought it'll be the same as for all the other LR lounges (Aus and connecting UC).

This will be the first Plaza Premium lounge in the UK but I think the others (mainly in the far east) accept PP so fingers crossed. They look very good compared to your average shared lounge.
#870168 by gumshoe
09 Apr 2014, 12:28
Blacky1 wrote:I registered the other day and assumed they will contact me ? Or is this not the case ,I will have another look at the email because I have a bad habit of just browsing over things and not reading properly

Once you've registered they should send you confirmation and login details (I think it may have taken a few days).

You then have to book a trial yourself online - they won't do it for you.
#870170 by Blacky1
09 Apr 2014, 12:35
gumshoe wrote:
Blacky1 wrote:I registered the other day and assumed they will contact me ? Or is this not the case ,I will have another look at the email because I have a bad habit of just browsing over things and not reading properly

Once you've registered they should send you confirmation and login details (I think it may have taken a few days).

You then have to book a trial yourself online - they won't do it for you.

Ah ok thanks gumshoe ,I just had a look at the email and I hadn't set up my login details which I've now done ,it said they will be in contact again with more details about what happens next y)
#870172 by CHill710
09 Apr 2014, 14:00
Blacky1 wrote:

Not quite sure how it works chris , so I registered the other day and assumed they will contact me ? Or is this not the case ,I will have another look at the email because I have a bad habit of just browsing over things and not reading properly

Click on the book available trial tab on the left. This should then let you book a date.
#870174 by Blacky1
09 Apr 2014, 14:07
CHill710 wrote:
Blacky1 wrote:

Click on the book available trial tab on the left. This should then let you book a date.

It's quite possible I'm being really dumb but I can't find it chris ?| is it on the page after you've logged in to your account ?
Virgin Atlantic