This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#870268 by catsilversword
11 Apr 2014, 06:12
What do people here know about this? I know it's hit the news in a big way over the last few days, but from what I read, it's been around a fair while and only just been picked up - so we've all been possibly at risk? How much of this, if any, is scaremongering?????
#870278 by allymc316
11 Apr 2014, 11:02
Basically its a vulnerability within SSL. When you visit a secure website you see the golden padlock on your address bar. Well turns out its been compromised for some time and that the details you thought were secure might not have been.

The only thing users can do is reset their passwords. It is up to the websites using SSL (banking, home shopping, email etc.) to patch their servers to protect our data.

If you want to check the website you are using is affected go to the link below and type in the url of the website you are going too.

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

hope this helps somewhat. :)

Allymc316
#870299 by mitchja
11 Apr 2014, 14:40
There's little point resetting passwords until the websites have been patched though...lots of places mentioning resting passwords but failing to mention this.
#870301 by catsilversword
11 Apr 2014, 15:26
That was pretty much what I thought James. Difficulty is knowing when sites are patched. I did go to that site and input virginatlantic - it came up with 'advanced - ignore certificates' - which doesn't mean anything to me, I need plain English!
#870545 by Fuzzy14
15 Apr 2014, 12:18
What about this website (V-flyer)? Does it use OpenSSl, if vunerable has it been fixed? I understand there's no point changing passwords until it has been fixed.
Virgin Atlantic