This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#874175 by DragonLady
30 May 2014, 21:00
Hooray !! We eventually completed today on our new ( old) house :) .We were supposed to complete last Friday ( after several postponements) and changed our flights to return a day early from Spain. Fate however conspired against us and it was delayed by yet another week..... :(! .
Since this saga has been going on for 4 months ( with no chain for us or our sellers :0 :0 ) I simply don't know how people stuck in a chain cope!!! :0
Lots of hard work ahead for Mr DL and I :) ( and no holidays for a while.... :( )..
DL
#874183 by DragonLady
30 May 2014, 21:43
Thank you RP - we've been there most of this evening and some of the remedial plans have changed already.... :0
I'm just praying that the plasterer turns up next week to get rid of the hideous artex which is EVERYWHERE!!!!! :$ Swirls, fans, snow peaks..yep,I've got every variety of artex known to man :) .
Truly vile.
DL
#874185 by Blacky1
30 May 2014, 22:04
DragonLady wrote:Hooray !! We eventually completed today on our new ( old) house :) .We were supposed to complete last Friday ( after several postponements) and changed our flights to return a day early from Spain. Fate however conspired against us and it was delayed by yet another week..... :(! .
Since this saga has been going on for 4 months ( with no chain for us or our sellers :0 :0 ) I simply don't know how people stuck in a chain cope!!! :0
Lots of hard work ahead for Mr DL and I :) ( and no holidays for a while.... :( )..
DL

Have fun in your new home DL but please keep the artex ):
#874189 by Fuzzy14
30 May 2014, 22:47
DragonLady wrote:Thank you RP - we've been there most of this evening and some of the remedial plans have changed already.... :0
I'm just praying that the plasterer turns up next week to get rid of the hideous artex which is EVERYWHERE!!!!! :$ Swirls, fans, snow peaks..yep,I've got every variety of artex known to man :) .
Truly vile.
DL

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but any Artex made before the early 1980s has a risk of asbestos being mixed in it. Try and find out when it was applied and get it sampled if in doubt. It's not dangerous unless disturbed (ie sanded or hacked down).

I had to go through something similar when I moved.
#874192 by Petmadness
30 May 2014, 22:58
Congratulations DL and welcome to your new (old) home! I hope it brings smiles and happiness......although I'm sure that will happen only when the remodelling has finished!
#874193 by DragonLady
30 May 2014, 23:00
Fuzzy14 wrote:
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but any Artex made before the early 1980s has a risk of asbestos being mixed in it. Try and find out when it was applied and get it sampled if in doubt. It's not dangerous unless disturbed (ie sanded or hacked down).

I had to go through something similar when I moved.

Thank you Fuzzy- the house is pre 1980's hence the reason for the plasterer :) . Seems that plasterers are in huge demand these days to get rid of this abomination :) due to the asbestos risk to DIYers
DL
#874234 by Fuzzy14
31 May 2014, 14:13
DragonLady wrote:Thank you Fuzzy- the house is pre 1980's hence the reason for the plasterer :) . Seems that plasterers are in huge demand these days to get rid of this abomination :) due to the asbestos risk to DIYers
DL

Ah good, and I forgot to say congrats :-)
#874241 by pjh
31 May 2014, 16:36
Hope the new house if full of love, laughter and light.
#874252 by honey lamb
31 May 2014, 21:22
Congrats on the new house and good luck with the remodelling from someone who has gone through that pain (but fortunately sans asbestos)
#874261 by gfonk
31 May 2014, 22:29
congrats on the new house DL.
goodluck with the artex lol what is it with that stuff lol
#874265 by DragonLady
31 May 2014, 23:17
honey lamb wrote:Congrats on the new house and good luck with the remodelling from someone who has gone through that pain (but fortunately sans asbestos)

I have plenty of artex HL but no floods :0 :0 :0 :0 ( but still plenty of filth ....).I have spent the DAY cleaning the kitchen.....it was absolutely disgusting.. :$ ).
Thanks you to everyone for the kind words.
I think this is going to take forever xx( .
DL
Virgin Atlantic