This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#875533 by Nickd19
13 Jun 2014, 20:54
In need of a little help. Never been to Dubai before. Looking for a special trip for 2nd wedding anniversary In September. All a bit fuzzy at the moment. Anyone able to give suggestions of hotels/ area and even things to do / expect.

Thanks in advance.
#875534 by horburyflyer
13 Jun 2014, 21:06
Personally love Dubai. We normally stay at the One & Only Royal Mirage, choosing The Palace. Highly recommend a Gold club room which provides access to the Gold Club - breakfast, afternoon tea, snacks and drinks - including happy hour between 6pm-8pm.

The hotel has beautiful gardens, is on the shores of the gulf close to the Palm and the Jumeriah attractions and also the Marina area. They also have some good half board deals where you can eat across the many restaurants in the resort.

I would also highly recommend afternoon tea or as we did (an early tea) at the Burj Al Arab.

Dubai has plenty to offer and we go every year, always find something new to do.

Hope that helps.

Jon
#875537 by DragonLady
13 Jun 2014, 21:31
Am I the only person in the world who isn't fussed on Dubai ?| ??
Lots of ( much) nicer places to visit in the world .
If you do go, tea at the Burj is recommended ( I couldn't stay there - the bling level there makes EK F look positively amateurish :0 and FWIW I do like a bit of bling :) ).
DL
#875546 by gumshoe
13 Jun 2014, 22:53
No, you're not alone DL.

I didn't hate it - there are some incredible hotels, the shopping malls are like nothing you've ever seen and there's a bit of history if you look for it.

But to me the place felt soulless, fake and showy: "hey, we've got loads of money and we're going to flaunt it".

I know things are by no means perfect in the west, but the knackered old buses you see ferrying the Indian hotel workers back to wherever they call home in the desert while the tourists flash their cash in 7 star hotels and mega-malls summed it up for me. And however liberal it likes to portray itself as, it really isn't a great place to be a woman or gay.

Marmite I guess - I can see why people love it for sun, shopping and sheer luxury.
#875552 by lynnewob
14 Jun 2014, 05:38
If you're not going for the beach hotels, have a look at The Address, Downtown Dubai (not to be mistaken with the Address, Dubai Mall).

If you book one of their Club rooms, you have access to the Club lounge which includes, breakfast, light bites for lunch, afternoon tea presentation and some light bites early evening when they offer free alcohol in the evening for about 4 hours. I love sitting on the outside terrace with a drink in hand watching the lights come on at dusk on the Burj Khalifa opposite and the fountain display every 30 minutes or so. The Club staff replenish your drink regularly and you can pop in for canapes every now and again which is very relaxing.

It's a very short walk to Dubai Mall and there are three pools in a alongside each other overlooking the fountains too.

It tends to be aimed more at the business person so is quiet by the pool in the daytime which is nice.

I've also tried the Shangri La and Emirates Towers, but The Address is my go to favourite now.

If it's your anniversary, you must go and purchase a treat from the Gold and Diamond park as I always manage to get a good deal from there after a bit of haggling.
#875591 by enjoyingit
14 Jun 2014, 14:02
Regardless of where you stay you must go indoor skiing at the Mall of the Emirates, try and get there early as it does get busy, but what a great experience
#875614 by ratechaser
14 Jun 2014, 16:24
enjoyingit wrote:Regardless of where you stay you must go indoor skiing at the Mall of the Emirates, try and get there early as it does get busy, but what a great experience

I took a look at that from the viewing area outside, when we visited a couple of weeks ago. Totally insane and sums up the OTT aspect of Dubai for me. That said, I was *this* close to giving it a go :-)
#875616 by Alex V
14 Jun 2014, 16:38
Been a lot of places in the world, and its still the whole package for me, entertainment, food, shopping and ofcourse the hotels which stand out for me because of the great staff and high service levels, and no jet lag!

Give it a go you wont be dissapointed, make sure you have deep pockets as nothings cheap except the taxis.

Regards

Alex
#875641 by Roxy-Popsy
15 Jun 2014, 08:31
Hi Nickd19

Go. Even if you never visit again.

I've visited several times & stayed at the Hilton Dubai Creek (amazing roof top pool over looking the city with great views & you can hear the call to prayer).

Also stayed at The Grosvenor House Hotel by the marine & I return again next week.

All 5 star hotels will have good deals if you do a bit of research. I've always found that loyalty to a hotel chain pays dividends here.

Do go up to the viewing platform at the Burj Al Khalifa but, only book on the morning you want to visit because if the smog/fog is down it'll be a waste of money. Most hotels can do this for you & I've always found it's the cheapest way to book. Plus, to see the aquarium at the Dubai Mall where the Burj Al Khalifa is located is worth the trip there in itself. Also the fountains are there but I thought the ones in Barcelona were more impressive.

If you fancy going to the Burj Al Arab it's worth it because it's so over the top, like much of Dubai. You can go for a drink, afternoon tea, high tea, dinner etc but we pre book.

Enjoy the fact it's over the top, amazing architecture, polite nationals & great service in hotels.

The gold souk & spice souk are worth a visit as is the Creek area.

If you fly with VS then you should be lucky & get through customs quickly as immigration is always deserted when we land. It's a long walk from departing the plane to immigration so do wear comfy shoes.

If you take daytime flights with EK for example it's a good option. I'd happily(!) (well, accept) flying with EK econ with day flights each way. Each to their own though.

Have fun!

Do let us know what you decide.

Roxy Popsy
#875647 by Nickd19
15 Jun 2014, 10:37
Wow!
Thank you all for you're really helpful replies. Its looking fairly likely now. Just need to get approval from Mrs S!
Might have to forego VS on this on though :0 ... Will probably by my best opportunity to get on the A380
#875650 by iforres1
15 Jun 2014, 12:08
Dubai is a spectacular place, and I still smile every morning I drive past the Burj Khalifa and its amazing skyline. Yes it is a bit showy, summer weather is like hell, but it has the most amazing aray of hotels and restaurants of anywhere in the world. Had the most wonderful steak in Wolfgang Pucks new "Cut" restaurant on Thursday in the Address Hotel (Downtown). The Palm has some outstanding hotels. If you give me a better idea of your requirements, send me a PM, however my recommendation would be Anantara Dubai The Palm

Iain
#875668 by SNOMO
15 Jun 2014, 16:37
Alex V wrote:Been a lot of places in the world, and its still the whole package for me, entertainment, food, shopping and ofcourse the hotels which stand out for me because of the great staff and high service levels, and no jet lag!

Give it a go you wont be dissapointed, make sure you have deep pockets as nothings cheap except the taxis.
Regards
Alex

Totally agree with this - love the place - we stay at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and just love the place. All rooms look out to sea with a fantastic view of the Burj Al Arab. Pre book as others have said for dinner there or afternoon tea - amazing place. We stay at the JBH because we love the free early morning entry to Wild Wadi water park right next door.Lots of choice for lovely restaurants in an around the hotel as well.
Must do the Marharba Service flying in an out too, gets you thru security/baggage so fast and is worth the money.
#875753 by Nickd19
16 Jun 2014, 21:36
Taken the plunge tonight and booked to stay at fairmont the palm flying EK (couldn't resist the a380!) Really appreciate all your help. No doubt more questions to follow.
#875763 by Roxy-Popsy
17 Jun 2014, 08:29
Well done. Great news! y)

Have you worked out how many sleeps 'til an EK A380?

Enjoy all the opulence & over-the-topness. :0

Roxy-Popsy
#875790 by goldflyer
17 Jun 2014, 13:53
I have been to Dubai many times and stayed at both the One and Only resorts but for me the Westin was best due to the company and have great memories from that all but brief stay. I even preferred it to Huvafenfushi but guess the company was different.
#876234 by iforres1
22 Jun 2014, 08:07
The Fairmont is a great hotel, you will not be disappointed. If you want to meet up for a drink just drop me a note.

Iain
Virgin Atlantic