This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#878187 by ryosan
16 Jul 2014, 12:34
OK, <deep breath>

As a longtime Virgin Atlantic fan (aren't we all?) AND as I work as a UX Designer and I detest using VS's official app, I thought, "In the few nanoseconds of spare time you have, why don't you try your hand at making one yourself instead of moaning about it all the time?"

So I did. And I'm not sure why I did it, because I don't work for Virgin or anyone associated with them and this is not endorsed in any way by them (that's the disclaimer out of the way), but I figured if some guys would appreciate it, it would be you. I also based a lot of the wireframes on your comments from trip reports and the forum, so a lot of it comes from you, dear readers.

Of course, I am well aware that putting your work out there on the net is probably scarier than waking up naked and confused in the middle of a busy supermarket, but as this is non official and non-work and this place is usually quite chilled out and nice, I figured, why not? These would just sit in a folder otherwise. I don't even know what to do with them :)

Something to pontificate on whilst waiting for the real app to emerge!

Check it out here
http://ryo7.carbonmade.com/projects/5275230

And.... be nice ii)
#878190 by McCoy
16 Jul 2014, 12:56
There is a fairly obvious problem here...

Your concept design is SO good... SO well conceived... and SO well designed...

..that is makes the existing official app look even more terrible than we know it is!

Seriously, good work!
#878195 by NYLON
16 Jul 2014, 13:13
This is amazing!

One thing: make sure you can book miles tickets with the app! People like to pounce on those, so being able to do that from the app makes sense.

Very impressive indeed. I hope VS takes note!

Two more thoughts:

1) Now that phones are permitted to be switched on during a flight (if only in flight mode), could there be a function for the app mid-flight?

2) Is there a way of using the GPS functionality of the phone? Directions to the clubhouse/shared lounge?

Anyway, I'm super-impressed.

Congratulations!
#878196 by hiljil
16 Jul 2014, 13:19
Most impressed . I really like it.
Can't wait to see more of it . y)
#878197 by sgilly74
16 Jul 2014, 13:46
Wow. Very clever, it looks great, surely Virgin need to be talking to you.... Remember us mere mortals when you are sitting in the seat next to Mr Branson! tee hee!

Seriously well done.
#878198 by SNOMO
16 Jul 2014, 13:52
As clarkey says : don't put this out in cyber space until you get it protected - it will cost you a few bob but worth it in the long run. Good luck with it, VS's app is a total waste of time!
#878200 by gfonk
16 Jul 2014, 13:56
ryosan - I think thats amazing!!
if you can make an Android version that would be super cool too!!
I would defo look to sell this to VS as it is way better and actually looks more VS than theirs lol!!!
Also as clarkysntfc said - copyright!!!
#878204 by ryosan
16 Jul 2014, 14:35
Oh wow, thanks guys. That's really nice of you!

To answer a few specifics;
@NYLON - In the current UI, the select dates page allows you to pay with money or miles (the very last box). This was very important for me as this is what I pay with 80% of the time!

RE: In flight usage - I have some ideas and will flesh those out. I'm particularly interested in the way your device could interact with VERA....

RE: GPS Tech - Virgin have already started using iBeacons in the Heathrow Lounge to display offers and other sales related goodies. I have some ideas that will benefit the passengers in economy and premium economy as well as UC. Will try to get those done this month.

Regarding copyright, I'm not sure what I could do really... I imagine that VS wouldn't be interested in a fan project (as much as I'd LOVE to join their design team!) Any suggestions?

Thanks for the lovely feedback. It's inspired me to flesh out more sections :D
#878206 by NYLON
16 Jul 2014, 14:50
Great stuff, ryosan.

Why not send it directly to the CEO of VS, or even SRB?

You never know...
#878209 by Bretty
16 Jul 2014, 15:11
That's a fab looking app ryosan, really functional looking but with the Virgin's flair.

I agree with other advice about protecting it, and also recommend contacting VS, perhaps the CEO or SRB with it - it may be the start of something.
#878224 by joeyc
16 Jul 2014, 16:28
First up ryosan.... awesome effort and an amazingly designed app plan ^)

ryosan wrote:RE: In flight usage - I have some ideas and will flesh those out. I'm particularly interested in the way your device could interact with VERA....

Perhaps a 'Pick up where I left off' option? Def handy if you can't finish a film on the outbound and want to jump straight back in where you left it on the inbound without all that fast forwarding.. It is probably not viable to hook people's smartphones into the onboard entertainment system - think of the probs (and mischief) that could be caused :0

A downloadable TV guide of sorts might be a nice idea though and a menu for your upcoming flights so you can pick out your food and tv/films ahead of boarding.

In terms of copyright protection... In my view, given you have used the VS logo, layout and info (poss some patented fonts/colours) heavily it would not classify as an original work that qualifies for protection under the Copyright, Designs & Patents Act 1988 - UK company, UK law. You have put it out there, VS would be within their rights to take a design cue from what you posted.

My knowledge of Japanese law (I see you are in Tokyo) is not that great, but given VS presence in world markets I would be surprised if there is not an extension filed on their IP for cover in other countries.

This all being said, it might be a good stepping stone to wander down the VS design path if that is what you are thinking of. Make a presentation of it... who knows the VS HQ might have a look and fall in love with the effort and design. Then again they might just rip off your idea - don't worry, most 'fans' view their IT dept as fairly incompetent, they'll find a way to mess it up :P
#878250 by honey lamb
16 Jul 2014, 22:21
Be careful about using the app. When V-Flyer started it was called Virgin Atlantic Flyer and VS took issue with it and Pete had to change the name. I suggest you make contact with Pete for advice
#878257 by joeyc
16 Jul 2014, 23:47
honey lamb wrote:Be careful about using the app. When V-Flyer started it was called Virgin Atlantic Flyer and VS took issue with it and Pete had to change the name. I suggest you make contact with Pete for advice

Slightly different situations HL given the motive and who the beneficiaries are of each case. I did give this situation a second thought over dinner though..

As it is only a concept app 'cartoon' and given it is clearly stated there is no affiliation or support from VS I think the OP should be ok on the display and disclosure side of things, the main problem is in VS logo, content and style usage.... It boils down to whether VS would view this as innocently hobbyist (they still might not like that) or whether there is a possible commercial motive.

Sorry to be the one appearing on the side of VS Ryosan, but it is a good idea to contact VS directly to gain permission to use their logo, content and iconography. I'd also recommend that you run the whole idea of designing a new app for them, that will be published online, passed their legal, media and marketing teams. In the meantime it might be prudent to temporarily take the page offline pending their permission. :?

Not to nitpick, but depending on your contract of employment your employer might actually own the IP rights to your work product during your entire term of employment with them. This could be applied to any 'extra' work done in your "stolen hours". Just a thought ;)
#878267 by NYLON
17 Jul 2014, 02:36
VS should be able to make available to you their branding guidelines. These would be the same guidelines which go to Bank of America, for example, when they put together the VS credit card in the US.

Here's Apple's guidelines for iTunes, for example:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/ ... elines.pdf

However, unlike Apple, which makes their guidelines publicly available as there are millions of affiliates, VS (I think) would request permission. They may give the you guidelines purely for "on spec" use, which is all you need at this stage.

It's a subtle difference, I suppose. It's the difference between Google (permission needed) and Google Plus (permission not needed).

Google: http://www.google.com/permissions/using-the-logo.html

Google Plus: https://developers.google.com/+/branding-guidelines

In any case, I think contacting VS is the first port of call. Better to get to them first, before they get to you!

And I can't wait to download it onto my phone...

NYLON
#878268 by ryosan
17 Jul 2014, 02:37
Wow! Some good points made by everyone (thanks again, by the way, your feedback has been really great and I appreciate everyone who's taken the time to look at it!)

I sent an email explaining what I'm doing to VS and how it's non-commercial, done for fun* etc. I've updated the disclaimer too. This exercise was done very much in the vein of all those iOS 8 and iWatch concepts you see on sites like http://www.iphonehacks.com/ios-concepts , which use Apple assets but for non-commercial work. If I get a cease-and-desist, then fair enough, it'll go. (But maybe it might kickstart them into getting their app out ;) )

As geeky as it sounds, one of the things that made me want to do it was hearing some guy in front of me on the Narita Express going on about how the BA app was superior to VS's. He was right of course, but it made me see red, hence this.

Luckily, my contract at work allows me to work on whatever I want outside of office hours (and own the IP), as we're still in the small-startup category (so even our CEO works at weekends, doing freelance work!).

*where the definition of "fun" = "HURRY UP WITH YOUR APP!"
#878281 by ryosan
17 Jul 2014, 07:28
Hey there,

It's just a wireframe, so flat image work made in Illustrator - i.e. no coding involved. Think of this like "VS App Fan Fiction (illustrated edition)".

Up until now, the whole thing has taken about two working days in terms of hours. But split apart quite far with lots of time to consider each concept in my head. It's been refreshing working on something for a service I actually use. (Most of us designers never get the chance!)

I have a network of fellow V-Fans itching to make the real thing too!
#878286 by gfonk
17 Jul 2014, 08:31
I think this is really interesting and would like to see how this goes.

Reckon you got nothing to lose by seeing what could come of this.
If it does get off the ground then an Android app would be more than welcome too for us who "jumped ship".
#878341 by mrsw
17 Jul 2014, 22:53
Wow, I just have to say, this looks absolutely fabulous! I agree with others that you should send a link to SRB and or the CEO. I think they would be impressed, and who knows where that may lead you :) anyway, excellent work, very well done indeed.
#878409 by enjoyingit
18 Jul 2014, 16:58
I apologize in advance for this, and i really dont want to come across as a Ar**, but are we not just talking about a few "created" (albeit beautifully created) pictures of how something could look? Nothing about functionality, nothing about practicality, just aesthetically pleasing. Im sure we would all like the Virgin App to be more 21st century, but would we care what it looked like, as long as it functioned as well as the BA app?
Virgin Atlantic