This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#883300 by catsilversword
18 Sep 2014, 07:41
Hi,

Anyone know the average cost of getting iphones (thinking 5c or s) unlocked? Are they more expensive to have done than other types of phones? Do they have to be done at an apple store????
#883303 by Neil
18 Sep 2014, 08:06
Any network/carrier can unlock them - it's unusual for someone to sell a phone locked to a specific network now.

Have you bought a locked phone?
#883324 by tontybear
18 Sep 2014, 10:47
When I unlocked my iPhone from O2 a year and a half or do ago (I was going to the US and wanted to use a US sim etc) they had an on-line tool to do it so I'd imagine other phone suppliers would have the same facility.

When I asked in store about doing it they told me about the tool and that I had to use that as they couldn't do it in store. They also gently made it clear that I still had to keep on paying for my phone as part of the contract.

I remember it too less than 48 hours.

But if you have bought your phone outright then it shouldn't be tied to any network.
#883370 by catsilversword
18 Sep 2014, 16:34
Neil wrote:Any network/carrier can unlock them - it's unusual for someone to sell a phone locked to a specific network now.

Have you bought a locked phone?

No, not yet. I'd called Virgin mobile - my current supplier - to give them notice I was leaving and of course, they came up with a load of sweet talk. I asked about them supplying a phone unlocked, as I know some other providers now do this and the guy replied that their higher end phones are all supplied unlocked. But he then checked and said that iphones are the exception. Was he telling porkies??? I've also heard that iphones lock to the first sim put into them, perhaps he meant that? Or am I being too kind here? My reason for wanting an unlocked phone is of course for travel.

That's given me food for thought. I'd been thinking of switching to 3, part of the attraction was the unlocked phones and also that tariffs all all have 0800 numbers included as part of the allowance.

The guy on the phone said it looked as though unlocking was between 10 and £30, I'd asked because I didn't know if iphones cost more to do. Let's face it, most things apple come with a higher cost.

Oh boy. Now I know not what to do!
#883373 by mitchja
18 Sep 2014, 16:45
EE/T-Mobile/Orange have quite a strict unlock policy, in that you need to have been an EE customer and using the handset in question on the EE network in the UK for at least 6 months before they will consider unlocking it. EE also charge £20.42 as well :(! (this applies to all handsets and not not iPhones)

I recently got my EE provided iPhone 5S unlocked the other month and it took just over a week to complete.

In case you are unaware, iPhone unlocking is different to other handsets. No unlock code is entered into the handset. You request the unlock from your network giving them your handset's details including it's IMEI, once approved they then send the details to Apple who unlock your handset by charging it's status on their servers. To complete the unlock process, you need to insert a different SIM card into the iPhone and follow the on-screen instructions or sync it with iTunes via a PC/Mac.

Apple will not unlock iPhones directly and all iPhones purchased directly from Apple UK are always unlocked.

BTW EE now also include 080 numbers in all their 'Extra' 4G tariffs (including SIM only) taken out from Sept 1st

TBH, there's lots of ways round not paying for freephone numbers (and any 08 number) from a UK mobile. There are freephone dialler access numbers and several apps available.

All freephone numbers will have to be made free from all UK mobiles from later next year anyway. Many companies (including VS) have now also switched to using 03 numbers which helps as well as 03 numbers are usually included in call allowances on most pay monthly tariffs.
#883384 by catsilversword
18 Sep 2014, 17:30
mitchja wrote:EE/T-Mobile/Orange have quite a strict unlock policy, in that you need to have been an EE customer and using the handset in question on the EE network in the UK for at least 6 months before they will consider unlocking it. EE also charge £20.42 as well :(! (this applies to all handsets and not not iPhones)

I recently got my EE provided iPhone 5S unlocked the other month and it took just over a week to complete.

In case you are unaware, iPhone unlocking is different to other handsets. No unlock code is entered into the handset. You request the unlock from your network giving them your handset's details including it's IMEI, once approved they then send the details to Apple who unlock your handset by charging it's status on their servers. To complete the unlock process, you need to insert a different SIM card into the iPhone and follow the on-screen instructions or sync it with iTunes via a PC/Mac.

Apple will not unlock iPhones directly and all iPhones purchased directly from Apple UK are always unlocked.

BTW EE now also include 080 numbers in all their 'Extra' 4G tariffs (including SIM only) taken out from Sept 1st

TBH, there's lots of ways round not paying for freephone numbers (and any 08 number) from a UK mobile. There are freephone dialler access numbers and several apps available.

All freephone numbers will have to be made free from all UK mobiles from later next year anyway. Many companies (including VS) have now also switched to using 03 numbers which helps as well as 03 numbers are usually included in call allowances on most pay monthly tariffs.

I wasn't aware the unlock process is different with iphones, but it doesn't somehow surprise me. I had my current (samsung) phone unlocked, but I didn't input anything into it - unless the people I paid to unlock it did that! Virgin also have a tariff that includes 0800 numbers but, it comes at a higher cost. I'm a low user, so can't justify that. It's a convenience thing really. I always try to find an alternative to an 0800 number (unless using my landline), but it isn't always practical to do that, but I didn't know about those numbers will have to be free from next year. It's always seemed like a bit of a con for them not to be included in mobile tariffs!
#886855 by Sealink
31 Oct 2014, 19:16
Three mobile handsets are now all supplied unlocked. And USA and 13 other countries are charged at UK rates. ie: no more expensive than UK, same bundles etc. apply.
#886940 by catsilversword
01 Nov 2014, 20:50
I went with giffgaff in the end. Bought a phone from them (all theirs are. Supplied unlocked, including iphones), and their tariffs also include 0800 numbers....

But oh.... the hassle I've had from Virgin....... :(
#886944 by Silver Fox
01 Nov 2014, 21:57
catsilversword wrote:I've also heard that iphones lock to the first sim put into them, perhaps he meant that? Or am I being too kind here?

Carphone warehouse used to do this for their iphones but I think they have stopped this. Any phone bought from Apple is always unlocked. Your best bet is to tell your current network you are travelling abroad for x months, and want to put a local SIM in but will be keeping your contract with them and in fact will be putting it in the phone sporadically to check for messages, and they usually will get it unlocked for you, possibly with some admin charge. Once they unlock it then it is up to you what you do.
#886947 by mitchja
01 Nov 2014, 22:23
No, CPW still do that with all iPhones. It's so they don't have to stock a whole array of network specific iPhones and often why they appear to have more stock than other retailers.

All UK Apple stores do also sell contracts (including upgrades) on all the major UK networks and those handsets do also SIM lock to which ever network you select.
#886948 by Silver Fox
01 Nov 2014, 22:44
Dunno about in-store but online they are sold unlocked and you can choose a PAYG SIM, and the phone remains unlocked so you can switch whenever you want.
#887035 by at240
02 Nov 2014, 17:59
catsilversword wrote:But oh.... the hassle I've had from Virgin....... :(

I'd take it as a compliment -- when I switched from them, I was expecting some hassle, but the guy just giggled and gave me the code...
#887040 by catsilversword
02 Nov 2014, 18:10
Ah no, getting the PAC was easy enough, they face it to me on the phone. The hassle was with being told I didn't owe them anything, so I cancelled my direct debit. Then I was told I did owe some money and it took some time to establish it, as they had helpfully taken my phone off the online account! When I tried to pay the outstanding balance, the applied the payment to the other half's PAYG phone, despite the fact that I checked and then checked again that using their automated phone service would direct it to the right place! I wasn't convinced, so went back and checked himself's account and, sure enough,it had been credited to that. Which meant another lengthy call..... I think it's been sorted out now, but am left with the thoughts that, if there's a right and a wrong way of doing something, guess which way they go?!
Virgin Atlantic