This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#884858 by catsilversword
06 Oct 2014, 14:14
Hi,

Wondering if anyone here has experienced wifi problems after updating to IOS8??? I'm finding that the wifi keeps dropping from my iPad. Noticed this as, periodically, and after being connected, I get a message to say I'm not connected! I've tried turning the wifi on and off, which works, but it's a pain and doesn't always work first time. I did at first suspect the router but, then realised connection doesn't drop from my wifi radio, nor does it drop off from himself's iPad mini - which hasn't had its software updated!

Anyone else had these frustrations???
#884868 by ratechaser
06 Oct 2014, 16:00
Not sure if it's ios8, but my ipad is only picking up about 8Mb speeds versus my children's non-upgraded ipads getting about 25-30. And that's on a notional 60Mb virgin connection with the ipads less than a foot from the router.
#884869 by mitchja
06 Oct 2014, 16:01
Using the developer version of iOS 8.1 which was released to developers last week and apparently that does fix WiFi/Bluetooth issues seen in 8.0 and 8.02.

I don't think it will be long before Apple release iOS 8.1 to everyone as Apple are wanting to get past the cock-up that was 8.01 relatively quickly as that release broke cellular connections and TouchID on many iPhone 6/6 Plus handsets (mine included).
#884884 by Silver Fox
06 Oct 2014, 17:43
Well I am afraid you are the beta testers for it. I never ever go to the latest version of anything unless it is going to fix a specific problem that I am experiencing. Learnt at the school of hard knocks many many moons ago now.
#884900 by catsilversword
06 Oct 2014, 19:35
What a shambles! I was surfing today and saw a thread mentioned that suggested resetting just network settings to factory ones. I've tried it and, so far, it hasn't dropped since,.... Holding my breath....
#884925 by MoJoJo
07 Oct 2014, 00:09
No issues with wifi dropping but regularly get No Service for data connection on iPad 2 which is only resolved with a reboot. iPhone 5 however is fine
#884931 by slinky09
07 Oct 2014, 07:47
catsilversword wrote:What a shambles! I was surfing today and saw a thread mentioned that suggested resetting just network settings to factory ones. I've tried it and, so far, it hasn't dropped since,.... Holding my breath....

Yes indeed, I've had the same problem this time on my iPhone 6 Plus, if I connect to WiFi I have to reset network settings for it to then reconnect to 4G on the move.

Not good.
#884935 by pjh
07 Oct 2014, 08:16
Silver Fox wrote:Well I am afraid you are the beta testers for it. I never ever go to the latest version of anything unless it is going to fix a specific problem that I am experiencing. Learnt at the school of hard knocks many many moons ago now.

Agreed. Even with my own employer's products I do not recommend clients adopt anything that is dot zero. Usually a date driven release with a number of enhancements to reduce functionality.
#884957 by Silver Fox
07 Oct 2014, 14:21
pjh wrote:
Silver Fox wrote:Well I am afraid you are the beta testers for it. I never ever go to the latest version of anything unless it is going to fix a specific problem that I am experiencing. Learnt at the school of hard knocks many many moons ago now.

Agreed. Even with my own employer's products I do not recommend clients adopt anything that is dot zero. Usually a date driven release with a number of enhancements to reduce functionality.

Dare I say "especially my own company's products" :)
#884960 by MoJoJo
07 Oct 2014, 14:49
LOL! I was just thinking exactly the same thing Silver Fox :-)
#884977 by RachelCox
07 Oct 2014, 18:26
I downloaded it a couple of days ago and since my iPad 2 is really clunky and is not loading web pages properly. Do you think this will ever rectify itself or is the iPad 2 just too old now?
#885004 by Sealink
07 Oct 2014, 21:58
Safari freezes mid post on
#885014 by MoJoJo
07 Oct 2014, 23:14
RachelCox my iPad2 is pretty crappy since the update too. iOS 7 wasn't a great update for older devices and this update seems worse. I'm pretty sure the next update will not be supported on older devices
#885020 by slinky09
08 Oct 2014, 06:00
RachelCox wrote:I downloaded it a couple of days ago and since my iPad 2 is really clunky and is not loading web pages properly. Do you think this will ever rectify itself or is the iPad 2 just too old now?

I've had that too ... let's see if the next update has a fix.
#885118 by catsilversword
09 Oct 2014, 15:42
Is there even a whiff of another update???? Getting pretty fed up with the constant dropping...
#885847 by RachelCox
19 Oct 2014, 15:36
I spoke to Apple today re my clunky iPad 2, they suggested a complete erase and reset. It took around 45 mins. I made sure the iPad was backed up completely then left it to reset, I restored it using the iCloud and I can report that it has improved the performance. I wouldn't say its 100% but certainly a lot better. The erase and reset did scare me but everything is in the cloud and reloaded perfectly.
#885848 by mitchja
19 Oct 2014, 15:40
iOS 8.1 is due tomorrow (20th Oct). Usually available from 18:00 GMT.
#885851 by MoJoJo
19 Oct 2014, 16:10
I've decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present of an iPad Air 2 and trade in the iPad 2 when I get back from holiday
#885916 by catsilversword
20 Oct 2014, 14:47
mitchja wrote:iOS 8.1 is due tomorrow (20th Oct). Usually available from 18:00 GMT.

Oh right!!!!! Is it too much to hope that it'll fix the dropping stuff???

I'm also being prompted to updated my Mountain Lion on the desktop - I'm thinking maybe I'll wait until the wrinkles are out of it :) I did read something on Twitter about the default font having gone back to helvetica and about it looking like an older version of things. Just what I read, cos as I say, not done it!
#885917 by catsilversword
20 Oct 2014, 14:48
RachelCox wrote:I spoke to Apple today re my clunky iPad 2, they suggested a complete erase and reset. It took around 45 mins. I made sure the iPad was backed up completely then left it to reset, I restored it using the iCloud and I can report that it has improved the performance. I wouldn't say its 100% but certainly a lot better. The erase and reset did scare me but everything is in the cloud and reloaded perfectly.

Did they do it for you or just send you away with guidance?
#885960 by catsilversword
21 Oct 2014, 06:53
mitchja wrote:iOS 8.1 is due tomorrow (20th Oct). Usually available from 18:00 GMT.

No idea how you find out these things - but just to say you were right, it was released early evening yesterday. Seems better (fingers crossed!)
#885976 by Sealink
21 Oct 2014, 09:38
Currently getting about two hours of battery life with my iPhone 5s.

As I look at the brick that is my iMac I wonder why I give Apple money!

Just bought myself a tablet: and picked Android.
#886002 by RachelCox
21 Oct 2014, 12:32
catsilversword wrote:
RachelCox wrote:I spoke to Apple today re my clunky iPad 2, they suggested a complete erase and reset. It took around 45 mins. I made sure the iPad was backed up completely then left it to reset, I restored it using the iCloud and I can report that it has improved the performance. I wouldn't say its 100% but certainly a lot better. The erase and reset did scare me but everything is in the cloud and reloaded perfectly.

Did they do it for you or just send you away with guidance?

They sent me away with guidance but he said if I wasn't happy to do it myself I could make an appointment at the Genius Bar.
Virgin Atlantic