This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#889234 by Bretty
30 Nov 2014, 03:19
Hi fellow v-flyers,

I want to reproduce this lovely little drinkette for a dinner party in a couple of weeks, anyone know the recipe? A quick google search produces mixed results and I thought someone here might know.

Obvs. Champers, gin, muddled raspberries or rather purée. The clubhouse drinks card says berry liqueurs - t'internet says cassis, framboise, lemon juice and even sugar syrup (the liqueurs would be sweet enough, and I didn't detect lemon when I last had it and I have a good palette I think).

So, over to y'all for ideas or even definitive knowledge.

Cheers peeps y) y)
#889235 by buns
30 Nov 2014, 05:27
Bretty

It is Prosecco rather than champagne that is used.

On my last visit, the person making up the mix overdid the lemon and it was not very nice.

Hope that is of help |:)

buns
#889236 by Blacky1
30 Nov 2014, 07:19
Bretty wrote:Hi fellow v-flyers,

I want to reproduce this lovely little drinkette for a dinner party in a couple of weeks, anyone know the recipe? A quick google search produces mixed results and I thought someone here might know.

Obvs. Champers, gin, muddled raspberries or rather purée. The clubhouse drinks card says berry liqueurs - t'internet says cassis, framboise, lemon juice and even sugar syrup (the liqueurs would be sweet enough, and I didn't detect lemon when I last had it and I have a good palette I think).

Cheers peeps y) y)

I'll order one on weds John and study intently the making of it before throwing it down my neck !
Seriously though I'll ask regarding the measures if you like and get back to you y)
#889247 by Bretty
30 Nov 2014, 12:13
Buns thanks - prosecco is cheaper than champers and I've only one bottle of non vintage left so wouldn't want to mix vintage into a cocktail.

Blacky - roflmao, but thanks, I'll watch out for your posts.
#889248 by buns
30 Nov 2014, 12:53
Bretty wrote:Buns thanks - prosecco is cheaper than champers and I've only one bottle of non vintage left so wouldn't want to mix vintage into a cocktail.

You are welcome.

I have to say that prosecco really adds to the drink - the dryness of champagne could possibly be counter productive.

Hope you can source the ingredientsand that your party drink is a hit with your friends

buns
#889252 by hazban
30 Nov 2014, 14:26
I also enjoy the drink and think that I have a reasonably attuned palate. 8D
However the last time that I tried to analyse the ingredients the purpose of the experiment was lost after the third glass! ii)
#889253 by tontybear
30 Nov 2014, 14:28
Blacky1 wrote:[

I'll order one on weds John and study intently the making of it before throwing it down my neck !
Seriously though I'll ask regarding the measures if you like and get back to you y)

Only ONE?

v( v( v(
#889255 by Tinuks
30 Nov 2014, 16:07
Blacky1 wrote:

Cheers peeps y) y)

I think it's all prepared beforehand and mixed with the bubbly. So you might need to ask the barman or mixologist.
#889260 by Bretty
30 Nov 2014, 16:42
Cheers guys, what a bunch of alcies we must seem to some ):
#889261 by Blacky1
30 Nov 2014, 17:04
Tinuks wrote:
Blacky1 wrote:

Cheers peeps y) y)

I think it's all prepared beforehand and mixed with the bubbly. So you might need to ask the barman or mixologist.

Then that is what I shall do ;)
#889262 by Blacky1
30 Nov 2014, 17:08
tontybear wrote:
Blacky1 wrote:[

Only ONE
v( v( v(

I normally stick to bubbly and tbh I've never had one ,see what happens ):
#889269 by Bretty
30 Nov 2014, 18:25
You know what blacky? Until my last trip in October I'd never tried the redhead and I hate gin normally, but the drink was lush, or is that what I am? I don't know, I'm confused dot com! ?|

I'm going to try what I've found online and see what I end up with. It's gotta be good right? Fizz, gin, liqueurs... I think I'm on a winner ):
#889275 by Blacky1
30 Nov 2014, 19:25
Bretty wrote:You know what blacky? Until my last trip in October I'd never tried the redhead and I hate gin normally, but the drink was lush, or is that what I am? I don't know, I'm confused dot com! ?|

I'm going to try what I've found online and see what I end up with. It's gotta be good right? Fizz, gin, liqueurs... I think I'm on a winner ):

One thing is guaranteed John ,you will get drunk ! y)
#889298 by honey lamb
30 Nov 2014, 21:38
They're gorgeous! y)
#889366 by NV43
02 Dec 2014, 07:24
Introducing the Virgin Redhead:

75 ml chilled Prosecco
60 ml premix

Premix:

500 ml Bombay Sapphire Gin (definitely not the 37.5% Bombay Original London Dry)
200 ml Creme de Cassis
200 mlFramboise Liqueur
500 mlFreshly squeezed lemon juice
125 ml Gomme
200 ml Raspberry Puree (frozen raspberries are fine but defrost and push them through a sieve to remove the seeds, or double strain after shaking)

Shake the premix over ice, add Prosecco and stir or shake; serve, drink & repeat.

The premix will run-out after 10 drinks; you may not be in a position to confirm this.

Next; NV43's Christmas and New Year Glögg recipe.
#889407 by Bretty
02 Dec 2014, 23:12
NV43 wrote:Introducing the Virgin Redhead:

75 ml chilled Prosecco
60 ml premix

Premix:

500 ml Bombay Sapphire Gin (definitely not the 37.5% Bombay Original London Dry)
200 ml Creme de Cassis
200 mlFramboise Liqueur
500 mlFreshly squeezed lemon juice
125 ml Gomme
200 ml Raspberry Puree (frozen raspberries are fine but defrost and push them through a sieve to remove the seeds, or double strain after shaking)

Shake the premix over ice, add Prosecco and stir or shake; serve, drink & repeat.

The premix will run-out after 10 drinks; you may not be in a position to confirm this.

Next; NV43's Christmas and New Year Glögg recipe.

Thanks NV43 that's pretty much the recipe I found via Google, but double the quantities. That premix will make about 30 cocktails!
#889413 by Bretty
03 Dec 2014, 00:09
nkp85uk wrote:Does anyone ever ask for a cocktail to be made at the UC bar? Never have, always assumed I'd be disappointed.

My favourite is a classic Margarita with salt rim. They have a modern twist on this on the clubhouse menu with agave and something else other than orange liqueur, but whenever I ask for a classic Margarita they make fab one!
#889414 by honey lamb
03 Dec 2014, 00:12
nkp85uk wrote:Does anyone ever ask for a cocktail to be made at the UC bar? Never have, always assumed I'd be disappointed.

Well a Redhead is a cocktail!

Yes, I have ordered cocktails at the bar and they have been fine. Throughout the lifetime of V-Flyer there have been several cocktails du jour. For a time it was what was known on here as a "mcuth blue" - a blue cocktail, probably a Blue Lagoon, so named after a big, burly V-Flyer who was partial to quaffing the said cocktail out of a teensy-tiny martini glass (well it was teensy-tiny when in his hands) Then mojitos became flavour of the month - in fact several months/years until supplanted by the Redhead. And it is not unusual to see someone with a traditional martini or a Bloody Mary or indeed any other cocktails you care to name
#889421 by Bretty
03 Dec 2014, 01:50
nkp85uk wrote:Ooh excellent that will keep us occupied on the way to MCO in January then. Always assumed the CC wouldn't have the necessary cocktail knowledge

Sorry, I was having a blonde moment. I just realised you said UC bar not Clubhouse. I think on board they have limited cocktails, looking at my UC menu (which I brought home after my last flight a few weeks ago) on board you can have:
Buck's Fizz
Bloody Mary
Moscow Mule
Madras
Cuba Libre
#889422 by tontybear
03 Dec 2014, 02:00
I made a do-it-myself 'arctic kiss' on board once but as it's only vodka and champers it wasn't that complicated to make

2 parts vodka / 3 parts champers

I guess it's not the availability of spirits that is the issue but the mixer juices
Virgin Atlantic