This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#895083 by Bretty
09 Feb 2015, 22:55
lovetoholiday wrote:Born in the west country but now living near Marlow in Buckinghamshire.
My parents are from India but have lived here since getting married.

I love it when people ask ' where are you from ?
I reply - 'Marlow'
They reply ' No where are you from originally ?'
I reply 'Oh I see, yes from west country'
Then I get 'Oh ok, where are your parents from ?'
Me - 'Also west country'
... and so it goes on....
Always amuses me to string it out ): ): ):

That reminds me very much of a scene from a TV series in the 90s called This Life, with one of the characters who was Asian being asked the same and her answer was Basingstoke!
#895204 by MarkedMan
10 Feb 2015, 20:38
Poor HL ended up here right in the middle of a Pineapple Express humdinger. Friday and Sunday, coincidentally the days she was on the road, were the worst. We're back to 20C+ drought-like weather now that she has left :)

MM from almost exactly in the geographic middle of SF.
#895450 by mrsw
12 Feb 2015, 15:33
From Beijing, and now living in Surrey. Also equal distance (in terms of travel time) to LHR and LGW :)
#895646 by spacedog
13 Feb 2015, 21:07
Janeclar wrote:Otley, West Yorkshire!

Hi, neighbour! I'm in Ilkley.

It's not where I'm from originally (although I technically am a Yorkshire lass).
#895650 by mcuth
13 Feb 2015, 21:15
Originally from Bradford, West Yorkshire...
Currently in a village to the North of Milton Keynes.

[ended up here via Watford, Rickmansworth, Reading, Swindon, Clevedon then Yatton]

Cheers
Michael
#895737 by RobL
15 Feb 2015, 03:04
Born in Colchester
lived in London, Crewe, Exeter, Bath and Derby
now living in Melbourne, Australia for the last 8.5 years
#895760 by buns
15 Feb 2015, 12:43
ChelseaGirl

I regard myself as a Londoner (having gone to school in Chelsea - along the Kings Road in fact ii) ) but now live on the outskirts n(

buns
#895925 by julmops
17 Feb 2015, 11:06
Born in Switzerland, moved to the UK in 2000.
First in Scotland, in Glasgow area then down South in Slough for a year and now been living in Reading since 2004.
#896297 by mitchja
21 Feb 2015, 12:24
A small village called Earby in Lancashire here (well it did used to be Yorkshire, but they saw sense and moved the county boarder many years ago).
#896329 by whiterose
21 Feb 2015, 18:17
mitchja wrote:A small village called Earby in Lancashire here (well it did used to be Yorkshire, but they saw sense and moved the county boarder many years ago).

I suppose you have to put a good face on it as they've moved the border, you poor soul. You'll know the saying that the only good thing to come from Lancashire is the road to Yorkshire. :)

And yes I am just a smidgen biased, born in Yorkshire and as I said upthread, now happily back again after years in East Anglia and Kent.
#896605 by pjh
23 Feb 2015, 23:24
whiterose wrote:

I suppose you have to put a good face on it as they've moved the border, you poor soul. You'll know the saying that the only good thing to come from Lancashire is the road to Yorkshire. :)

528 years ago we whupped y'all. Learn to live with it. :D
#896679 by Fuzzy14
24 Feb 2015, 17:41
I actually live on an old airport!

Renfrew Airport was Scotland's first public airport but the runways weren't big enough for jets so it was closed in 1966 and moved 1/2 mile to former naval air station HMS Sanderling at Abbotsinch, since renamed Glasgow Airport. My house sits on the crosswind runway, the main runway was converted to M8 motorway, the terminal building is now a Tesco and the Avis car hire a local pub. I'm pretty handy for the "new" airport, have great views of the approach but I'm not bothered by the noise.

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... rewAirport
#897304 by hiljil
02 Mar 2015, 09:47
The Garden of England. :)
Virgin Atlantic