A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#10481 by Bazz
03 Feb 2006, 10:35
I thought that it might be a good idea to solicit opinions of other crew members regarding whether they would like some music or not and if so what sort. Please will only those who have registered an interest in attending the event vote in the poll, thank you.
#96701 by Littlejohn
03 Feb 2006, 10:59
Hang on, isn't this a "non-pole"

Disco - M/F mix is not right, no way am I dancing with Decker - it would look like Cyril Smith dancing with Cliff Richard ;)
Piped CD's - would only encourage paul
Mcuth singing - Well tempting, but maybe not.
No Music - unacceptable (!)

That only leaves jazz or don't mind, so with one person having voted for jazz already, even if everyone else went for don't mind, that would force it to be...jazz.

Bazz, come clean. Are you a civil servant ;) "present the minister with 3 choices, one of which is totally unacceptable, one of which is politically risky, and one which you want him to pick."
#96704 by Bazz
03 Feb 2006, 11:06
Originally posted by sailor99
Hang on, isn't this a "non-pole"...
...Bazz, come clean. Are you a civil servant ;)...

No, but I have been well trained :D
#96720 by HighFlyer
03 Feb 2006, 11:30
Definately voting for music ... im thinking either Jazz or Disco, dont mind which. Although Mcuth singing would really be a winner!!
#96751 by mcuth
03 Feb 2006, 13:55
Hold on, hold on - I don't remember being asked for my fees rate? ;)

Cheers

Michael
#96752 by HighFlyer
03 Feb 2006, 13:58
Hold on, hold on - I don't remember being asked for my fees rate?

The phrase "Will sing for Beer" springs to mind ...

I think payment in the form of a case of Sam Adams would be more than ample, dont you think??
#96756 by Littlejohn
03 Feb 2006, 14:12
Originally posted by mcuth
Hold on, hold on - I don't remember being asked for my fees rate?

Oh dear! I seem to have this image coming to mind.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/wal ... oussos.jpg

{Sorry to be a spoilsport, but image not only breaks the forum width, but leeches off the BBC site, so I've changed the inline display. Pete}
#96769 by Bazz
03 Feb 2006, 14:48
LOL - When did Michael grow a beard ;)
#96778 by mcuth
03 Feb 2006, 15:11
Originally posted by HighFlyer
I think payment in the form of a case of Sam Adams would be more than ample, dont you think??

Not at all - can't stand the stuff [:$][:$]

Cheers

Michael
#96781 by ChuckC
03 Feb 2006, 15:22
I am rather partial to jazz, but MCuth signing, with, let's say, his taped messages from the latest Social playing in the background ... ah, that's entertainment![:p]

Chuck-
#96792 by shazam
03 Feb 2006, 16:10
Oh no!!!

I might have to take our names off the list at this rate....
Can't cope with Jazz [:$],
Disco...?? [|)]Do you know me?????
Piped CD's ... well ok if they're mine [}:)];),
None - looking better than the above so far, [ii]
Mcuth... Been there, made me ears bleed [B)]

sigh......thing is you really wouldn't like my choices (well Decker, Nick and Mcuth might like some of it) as long as there is somewhere to escape like the far end of the boat......

S
#96799 by RichardMannion
03 Feb 2006, 16:31
Bear in mind is the cost that this associates with the trip - I am happy with piped Cd's as we all end up chatting with each other anyway. We do just fine with piped music at all other events.

Thanks,
Richard
#96800 by fozzyo
03 Feb 2006, 16:32
Oooh ... Disco. Abba, Bucks Fizz, Steps, Spice Girls, Shawoddywoddy, Take That ... i think i better stop there. [}:)];)

Mat xx
#96807 by shazam
03 Feb 2006, 16:49
Foz

You're not in Blackpool yet hon :);)

S x
#96813 by fozzyo
03 Feb 2006, 17:10
Originally posted by shazam
Foz

You're not in Blackpool yet hon :);)

LMAO!
#96825 by MarkJ
03 Feb 2006, 19:14
I would like to come to this so can I vote for some punk - The Jam, Pistols, Stranglers and Clash and also some Heavy Metal - my friends are a band called Anthrax and they always go down well on a disco!!! ( they have a 10 second spot in the film Calendat Girls for those who have seen it!!)
#96852 by buns
03 Feb 2006, 20:39
Originally posted by Chuck C
I am rather partial to jazz, but MCuth signing, with, let's say, his taped messages from the latest Social playing in the background ... ah, that's entertainment!

If you had been at Reading last year, you might regret the entertainment description;):D[}:)]:D;)

I have voted for Jazz - as I like it and it is a great accompaniment to the inevitable chatting we all do when we get back together[:w][:w]

However, I am happy to go with the flow.
#96871 by mcuth
03 Feb 2006, 21:00
Originally posted by MarkJ
I would like to come to this

Don't forget to register your interest on this thread ;)

my friends are a band called Anthrax

The Anthrax???? [:0][:0]

Cheers

Michael
#96947 by robandgill
03 Feb 2006, 23:18
Hi

Well we thought long and hard and it was a close call
between mcuth and a disco. But in the end we opted for mcuth because while he is busy entertaining us :

1) On-board alcohol supplies will be consumed at a lower rate (leaves more for us)[}:)]
2) Its probably a good way to keep him out of trouble[V]
3) We won't be forced to drink blue drinks [:$]

But if we could get The Anthrax ....

later

robert & gillian
#96980 by MarkJ
04 Feb 2006, 09:56
Yes - "The Anthrax" - long story about how we became friends but I have been lucky enough to see them all over Europe and in the US - probably be a bit tricky to get them to play on the boat - but they are on tour again in the UK in Early April!!! Not everyone's cup of tea but I think they rock!!!
#97211 by mcuth
05 Feb 2006, 01:34
Originally posted by MarkJ
probably be a bit tricky to get them to play on the boat

LOL - yeah, and somehow I don't think the residents of Maidenhead/Windsor/etc... would appreciate it that much :D

Not everyone's cup of tea but I think they rock!!!

Me too - been a long time since I last saw them ("Among the living" tour, Bradford St George's Hall, c.1988?). Will look forward to hearing your long story about the friendship when we're on the boat [y]

Cheers

Michael
#97232 by MarkJ
05 Feb 2006, 10:03
Michael - I used to live in Wakefield - so spookily enough i was at that gig in Bradford too!!! Testament was the support!!! Dont know where you live now but if you wanna come along to a gig then just let me know - they are in Glasgow, Sheffield, Notts, London, Wolves on this tour and its with the original line up that toured the ATL album!!!

Sorry - hijacked the entertainment post a bit - I agree with Richard - bit of background music is proably ideal!!
#97238 by Nottingham Nick
05 Feb 2006, 10:24
I am with Richard on this one. My vote was for some kind of background music (CDs), the main reason for this was that it would help keep the cost down.

I am sure c£50 per head is what is stopping some people from joining us, especially when you factor in - getting to Maidenhead, drinks, overnight stay in the hotel etc. etc.

Nick
#97295 by mcuth
05 Feb 2006, 16:12
Originally posted by robandgill
1) On-board alcohol supplies will be consumed at a lower rate (leaves more for us)[}:)]
2) Its probably a good way to keep him out of trouble[V]
3) We won't be forced to drink blue drinks [:$]

Probably wrong on all 3 counts ;):D

MarkJ - spooky! Will have to carry on that conversation via PM/email, since it's now away from the original topic :)

Now, I originally voted for the jazz, as I really enjoyed the atmosphere the trio provided the year before last - however, like Nick says, they do cost money. I'm also in favour of some light background music (though ISTR I lost a couple of CDs last year, mainly due to drunkeness [:I]) - since most of us will be chatting/falling over anyway, maybe that could be provided?

Cheers

Michael
#97297 by Nottingham Nick
05 Feb 2006, 16:15
Maybe some of us (not Paul ;)[8D] ) could bring iPods and iTrips with a portable radio, then fight about what gets played. [:o)][:I]

Nick
Virgin Atlantic