A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#100335 by Scrooge
18 Feb 2006, 22:44
Just want to raise my hand to make a point here,something to remember,someone needs to have a word with VS before hand to make sure everyone can get a seat in the same area,this way you would be disturbing any of the normal people running around trying to say hi.
#100342 by honey lamb
18 Feb 2006, 23:55
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Okay Boys and Girls,
A possible plan is forming...

29-30 April
JFK - out on VS45 at 2pm lands at 16:40 (I thought we should empty the CH first, instead of trying to be there for the 9:30 VS3)
Return on VS4 next day (Sunday) 18:45 arrives on Monday morning at 06:35 so you could be mad and dash for work (Like me!).

Fare is £278.30 which earns 6,916 mile sif you are Gold and 2 TP, other wise it is 5187 for Silver or 3458 for Reds. Alternative is be a real fool (possibly like me) and book a MpM fare at £227.

I aim to get my £227 worth of food, drink and treatments out of the trip!

Obviously it means a hotel has to be located somewhere, on the hunt now...

Thanks,
Richard

Hmmm! [:?] Just to re-iterate what jilly said earlier and what seems to be ignored - that is a Bank Holiday weekend and I would assume the prospects of getting an "empty" plane would be somewhat reduced.

From my perspective, even if that were to happen, you would have to count me out. Apart from the fact that we will have just reurned from Dubai and therefore likely to be stoney broke, if you were to go out on the VS45 it would mean travelling out on the previous night and an hotel at LHR.

I love the idea of the open jaw and the "party train" but alas not for us this time [:#]
#100346 by mitchja
19 Feb 2006, 00:36
I have to agree with HL here on this one as domestic flights would add to the cost. I also dont need the TP's this year either. I'm also saying no on this one I'm afraid.

Regards
#100350 by HighFlyer
19 Feb 2006, 02:25
HL - Dont forget that the 45 is swapping times with the 3 and the 4, so no longer a 9.30am departure but a 1400pm? And dont gime that DXB line .. ill be flying in from DXB, flying out to IAD 13 days later, then proposing a mad weekend to JFK a fortnight after that! I think the week after i will be booking myself into 'VS Anonymous' LOL

James - Ah, would be good to have had you on board .. shame you cant make it, though im sure we will more than make up for it on the VS400

Mr & Mrs Buns - Fantastic! Dont worry, i'll be attending therapy with Sandra in preparation for the flight :)

And for all you 'Y' bashers .. im normally in the same boat as you, but hey, this will be one fun trip and the heart of it lies being onboard our favourite airline and having a good chuckle, regardless of which class we are in. If your not in agreement, you need the trip down the back more than i do!!

Thanks,
Sarah
#100351 by VS-EWR
19 Feb 2006, 03:33
I might be able to do something if you want to come out to my area. Of course in a year the Virgin Limited will be open in New Jersey so you could all go to that!

Has anyone actually looked into chartering a VS plane? It might be fun.

I saw Short Hills Mall somewhere, if you go there I could definitely meet up with you, I go there a lot. (Short 15 minute car ride away from my house).
#100361 by catsilversword
19 Feb 2006, 10:26
Originally posted by slinky09
Originally posted by preiffer

Also - what about Boston? If it's shopping, quickly - it might be worth considering...

Absolutely ... I need to visit Duane Reade really badly. Am running low on all sorts!

Ah, good old Duane - affectionately known as Duane Eddie in this household. Yes, I know, sad - but true....[}:)]
#100362 by catsilversword
19 Feb 2006, 10:27
Okay Boys and Girls,
A possible plan is forming...

29-30 April
JFK - out on VS45 at 2pm lands at 16:40 (I thought we should empty the CH first, instead of trying to be there for the 9:30 VS3)
Return on VS4 next day (Sunday) 18:45 arrives on Monday morning at 06:35 so you could be mad and dash for work (Like me!).

Fare is £278.30 which earns 6,916 mile sif you are Gold and 2 TP, other wise it is 5187 for Silver or 3458 for Reds. Alternative is be a real fool (possibly like me) and book a MpM fare at £227.

I aim to get my £227 worth of food, drink and treatments out of the trip!

Obviously it means a hotel has to be located somewhere, on the hunt now...

Thanks,
Richard

Really lets me out then, I'll be in Hilton Head. Good I may be, but I have yet to perfect the art of being in two places at the same time...
#100363 by catsilversword
19 Feb 2006, 10:33
Has anyone ever mentioned that you lot are all totally barking????

Such a relief to know I'm not alone in this world....[:p]
#100365 by p17blo
19 Feb 2006, 10:44
Originally posted by catsilversword
Ah, good old Duane - affectionately known as Duane Eddie in this household. Yes, I know, sad - but true....[}:)]

I really use to prefer Eckerd, but they seem to have all disappeared now (at least in FLA anyway), but my second has to go to Walgreens.

The US definately do drug stores better than the UK.

I remember some years ago going through the drive through at Walgreens and asking for some pain killers, to which the perplexed woman serving told me that she was sure someone could help inside. Why have a drive through that you can only use for prescriptions? It doesn't tell you that anywhere.

Paul

(Sorry totally OT I know)
#100366 by catsilversword
19 Feb 2006, 10:51
Originally posted by p17blo
Originally posted by catsilversword

I really use to prefer Eckerd, but they seem to have all disappeared now (at least in FLA anyway), but my second has to go to Walgreens.

The US definately do drug stores better than the UK.

I remember some years ago going through the drive through at Walgreens and asking for some pain killers, to which the perplexed woman serving told me that she was sure someone could help inside. Why have a drive through that you can only use for prescriptions? It doesn't tell you that anywhere.

Paul

(Sorry totally OT I know)

I've only ever seen Eckerd in Florida, did they ever exist outside of Fla? Rite-Aid is ok, and I like Duane Reade, but it seems Walgreens is a nation-wide chain. Perhaps someone inthe US can correct me here if I'm wrong?

Is any US trip complete without a happy couple of hours (or more) browsing a drugstore?????

Feel like I've come out of the closet here, I truly hadn't thought there were others who loved to trawl the drugstores.....

Phew...[ii]
#100367 by Mavrick
19 Feb 2006, 11:05
Yes Walgreens is a nationwide chain they are my choice when I'm home in Florida. :)
#100368 by Decker
19 Feb 2006, 11:39
Oh - no trip is complete without trawling a Walgreens or RiteAid or similar. Never know what they'll come out with next! How else can you discover you have a new favourite conditioner?!
#100373 by some guy
19 Feb 2006, 11:58
I believe that Eckerd has now become CVS - at least in ft.Lauderdale/Miami anyway. Red CVS sign instead of the the blue Eckerds.
#100380 by slinky09
19 Feb 2006, 12:53
Is any US trip complete without a happy couple of hours (or more) browsing a drugstore?????

I Guess our US buddies think we're mad ... but when you've discovered the joy of buying things in US drug stores only available on prescription here, or at half the UK price ... it becomes addictive!
#100391 by catsilversword
19 Feb 2006, 15:18

I Guess our US buddies think we're mad ... but when you've discovered the joy of buying things in US drug stores only available on prescription here, or at half the UK price ... it becomes addictive!

Maybe they have a point and we ARE mad - but I'm already compiling my list of stuff to get on my next trip - such as being able to buy a sensible number of ibuprofen at one time, instead of the pathetic 2 16 packs you can buy at one time in the UK. Now - I can't help thinking that anyone determined enough to do themselves damage by taking on overdose would simply go to several stores????
#100392 by HighFlyer
19 Feb 2006, 15:22
Sorry, this is the haircut run, not the Walgreens run [:o)] (although each to their own ...) :)
#100411 by RichardMannion
19 Feb 2006, 17:12
Hi,

Since far too many nutters have come out of the woodwork and that this has the hallmarks of a mini-social I have moved it to this forum where we can get some consensus on next steps.

We have a few decisions to make:
a) Who would be all for just going as it is on the proposed dates?
b) Who would love to go but can't do those dates?
c) Who would be interested if we did turn this into a proper mini-social and pushed it back later in the year. I am currently thinking of 2nd weekend in Novemeber as the fares drop down again at the beginning of Nov, but the marathon is taking place on the first weekend which would push up hotel prices. And talking of those, if there is interest in option c, I can look to speaking to the hotels I use in nYC at our corp rates and see if they would open them up for this event.

Love to hear your thoughts and feedback,
Richard
#100413 by Decker
19 Feb 2006, 17:15
Well with these figures we can get group rate fares...
#100418 by ChuckC
19 Feb 2006, 17:32
I Guess our US buddies think we're mad ...

Perish the thought, Slinky!:D

Chuck-
#100425 by p17blo
19 Feb 2006, 18:16

c) Who would be interested if we did turn this into a proper mini-social and pushed it back later in the year. I am currently thinking of 2nd weekend in Novemeber ...

Well if you make it the last weekend in November I will already be on flights to/from EWR and maybe you lot can join me.

I am out of Thursday 30th on VS1 and back on VS18 on Sunday 3rd. Maybe too long for you guys, but hit either one and that'll be cool.

Paul
#100430 by buns
19 Feb 2006, 18:38
Originally posted by Richard Mannion
Since far too many nutters have come out of the woodwork and that this has the hallmarks of a mini-social I have moved it to this forum where we can get some consensus on next steps

Good thinking[y][y]

I am still drwan to the bank holiday idea - but can fully understand the potential scarcity of fares[n]

If consensus dicates November, then I am afraid Mrs Buns would be unavailable[:(][:(] I on the other hand.........:D:D
#100433 by catsilversword
19 Feb 2006, 18:46
Originally posted by Decker
Well with these figures we can get group rate fares...

How much difference is that likely to make?
#100434 by Littlejohn
19 Feb 2006, 18:47
November might work for me. Would there be time for a little xmas shopping? I assume booking would take place nearer the time?
#100450 by honey lamb
19 Feb 2006, 20:06
Sorry, November still doesn't do it for me. I've already arranged to go to Tampa at the end of October for half-term (which thankfully is the week after the UK half-term [y])

I know that Highflyer will argue all her back-to-back travel as a reason why I should do the same. However I like to keep a little money aside for luxuries such as food, electricity etc. [ii]
#100454 by HighFlyer
19 Feb 2006, 20:15
I know that Highflyer will argue all her back-to-back travel as a reason why I should do the same. However I like to keep a little money aside for luxuries such as food, electricity etc.

Hehehe ... Yeah, food and electricity does come in handy, although i figure that if i spend more time in the air i may need to buy less food, so perhaps im saving money in the long run? And i can chow my way through a lot of the Freedom menu!!

Seriously though, such a shame HL, although i do hope we can catch up with you sometime. I know, you give us the dates for a weekend in ORK or DUB that is good for you, and the V-Flyer party bus will come to you!!!

Thanks
Sarah
Virgin Atlantic