A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#100187 by MarkJ
17 Feb 2006, 22:59
Well Im from the south and grew up in Shaftesbury - your profile says you are located in Salisbury/Gosport an area of the country I know well!!

However I have lived in various parts of the UK and my wife is from Mansfield - so I guess it came from her neck of the woods!!!

And I was only joking about Chuck being mardy - I guess really he was apoplectic!! There's my southern based Grammar School education for you

( only joking again!!!)

And you are still mad!!
#100191 by Littlejohn
17 Feb 2006, 23:06
Yep Mansfield hits it bang on the head. Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire was what was on my mind.

Honey Lamb - its not the word, its the way its used - "went mardy", "goes all mardy", "he's right mardy" are all a fairly typical east midlands phrase. A bit like using the word rekon on its own to mean yes or I agree - eg. Qu : D'you think labour'l win next election. Ans : Rekon.

Anyway, sorry I've gone OT.
#100193 by HighFlyer
17 Feb 2006, 23:11

You dont want me to split this thread do you so you guys can mardy on at your own pace?? :D

HL - You cant worm your way out of every social you know!! This one will likely be at a weekend anyway, so i expect to see you and AerJohn at least contemplate it!!

Mark - Ill put you down as a tentative then?

:)

Thanks,
Sarah
#100200 by honey lamb
17 Feb 2006, 23:20
HL - You cant worm your way out of every social you know!! This one will likely be at a weekend anyway, so i expect to see you and AerJohn at least contemplate it!!

Oh, we'll contemplate it all right but I don't know how his nibs will feel at being in Economy. Correction - I do know how he'll feel....[:w]
#100207 by Littlejohn
17 Feb 2006, 23:28
I have spoken to Aer John, and he says he would be delighted to go even if it is in Y. But don't feel you have to commit yourself or anything honey ;)
#100208 by honey lamb
17 Feb 2006, 23:28
Originally posted by sailor99
Yep Mansfield hits it bang on the head. Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire was what was on my mind.

Honey Lamb - its not the word, its the way its used - "went mardy", "goes all mardy", "he's right mardy" are all a fairly typical east midlands phrase. A bit like using the word rekon on its own to mean yes or I agree - eg. Qu : D'you think labour'l win next election. Ans : Rekon.

Just to finish off the mardy bit - the late, lamented Mr honey lamb has cousins living just outside Nottingham and it was from them I picked up the word

Now back on topic...whatever it was [:w]
#100210 by honey lamb
17 Feb 2006, 23:31
I have spoken to Aer John, and he says he would be delighted to go even if it is in Y. But don't feel you have to commit yourself or anything honey ;)

Yeah! Well how come I didn't hear you. He's in the next room and I can hear everything that is going on, and he's currently not on-line [:p]
#100211 by Littlejohn
17 Feb 2006, 23:33
Maybe he is. But I know one thing for sure, everyone would be absolutely delighted to meet you both. You should go along if you can.
#100214 by honey lamb
17 Feb 2006, 23:37
*Sweeping curtesy*
Thank you, kind sir
#100215 by honey lamb
17 Feb 2006, 23:43
To get back to the original topic, given that there are a few Au members here, what happens if half the group (or worse still one or two) get op-upped? [}:)]
#100216 by RichardMannion
17 Feb 2006, 23:57
We're picking a flight that is empty, so no chance of that.

Thanks,
Richard
#100219 by p17blo
18 Feb 2006, 00:01
Unless you manage to 'pursuade' a hundred or so people to come along for the ride!

Paul
#100223 by mcmbenjamin
18 Feb 2006, 00:07
Originally posted by honey lamb
To get back to the original topic, given that there are a few Au members here, what happens if half the group (or worse still one or two) get op-upped? [}:)]

That could be a rule. If offered an upgrade, you must decline it. (This is not a my orginal idea; never the less flying in c(r)oach would give greater appreciation for Upper Class, and Premium Economy)
#100224 by mcmbenjamin
18 Feb 2006, 00:14
Sidebar: This 'run' would also allow development of a certian calendar for charity!

So outbound on a Friday or Saturday and return the sameday or overnight (would allow for shoping and possibly buying MacBooks!)?

Yea and as fozzyo says below, why four flights? To fly all weekend?
#100227 by fozzyo
18 Feb 2006, 00:23
Got one question ... why does it need the four flights?

Definately think that if this was to be done for the best atmosphere it should definately be everyone in Y.

Mat xxx
#100236 by preiffer
18 Feb 2006, 02:29
Originally posted by fozzyo
Definately think that if this was to be done for the best atmosphere it should definately be everyone in Y.
We'll talk... [:w]
#100237 by pegitt
18 Feb 2006, 04:06
Well i'm up for it but depending on dates.

Phil
#100246 by jaguarpig
18 Feb 2006, 10:21
Yep Mansfield hits it bang on the head

Been hit on the head a few times in Mansfield:D
#100248 by Wolves27
18 Feb 2006, 10:35
As I've never been offered an op-up yet I would find it hard to turn it down [:w].

Richard... course we're nutters. Isn't that the best reason to fly anywhere? Because its there or because we can [y]

Sarah... If you're getting the manicure in the CH you must also have the Holistic Back, Face and Scalp Massage with Hot Stones at the MO there. Bliss.

And of course the shopping for shoes and stuff :D:D

Dean
#100249 by catsilversword
18 Feb 2006, 11:06
Originally posted by preiffer
Not in Y mate.

Ah, but isn't it good to do something that makes you feel humble, and grateful that you have the wherewithal to travel differently???
#100250 by catsilversword
18 Feb 2006, 11:09
Originally posted by mavrick
I have a quite a few pink fast track passes too for the gang. :D

Er sorry - but what are pink passes???
Can someone please pass me the manual....[:(]
#100251 by catsilversword
18 Feb 2006, 11:13
Originally posted by honey lamb

Or worse, supposing there aren't enough au members to get the rest of us poor souls into CH???? Doesn't bear thinking about... Y class, no clubhouse - and presumably, no haircut either....[xx(]
#100256 by HighFlyer
18 Feb 2006, 11:50
To avoid confusion, this trip is not four flights, just one - a return in Y to JFK (or wherever)

The four flights idea comes from the 'sandwiching' idea, but this isnt what we are proposing. We are not doing this for tier points as we are both to requalify easily this year, we are doing it because we are nuts!

Dean - Thanks for the recommendation for the MO, and for the shoe shopping for Richard :)

Thanks,
Sarah
#100260 by p17blo
18 Feb 2006, 12:07
Originally posted by HighFlyer

Dean - Thanks for the recommendation for the MO, and for the shoe shopping for Richard :)

Thanks,
Sarah

If it is shoes your after (or for Richard come to that), why not fly into EWR and pop down to Short Hills Mall and pay a vist to Jimmy? You can be there and back in an hour.

Paul
#100263 by AerJohn
18 Feb 2006, 12:15

Unless you have spiked my drink or my food, then i can't honestly remember you speaking to you.

As for this trip, around what time of the year are we talking around. Gotta chance to win 2 PE tickets or 2 EC tickets at the end of March. Even then the thought of PE or EC[xx(]
Virgin Atlantic