A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#11040 by HighFlyer
25 Feb 2006, 14:33
Hiya

Just creating this as a place where those of us off to DXB in March/April can make plans/suggestions for meeting up. We had informally suggested meeting for drinks/dinner so after discussions with James, we thought it was about time we made some official plans.

1st April was muted as the evening, and the Burj Al Arab as the place! If you can all confirm if you are still up for it? At last count i think there were about 8 of us?

The list of restaurants at the Burj Al Arab are listed here

They all seem to allow Children except the Al Mahara for dinner, so if you all want to have a look and see what takes your fancy? The Al Muntaha is my personal favourite, and its cocktail lounge sounds very V-Flyer friendly too!

What say you all?

Thanks,
Sarah
#101830 by mitchja
25 Feb 2006, 15:33
The Al Muntaha sounds good to me as well :) [y]

Regards
#101836 by Decker
25 Feb 2006, 15:58
Mooted ;)
#101850 by iforres1
25 Feb 2006, 18:14
Well as we will have Daniel with us, it's got his vote as well.:D

Who is all in town at this tme?

Iain
#101854 by iforres1
25 Feb 2006, 18:19
Forgot to say, do we need to book in advance or do in-house guests get priority[:I]
#101857 by mitchja
25 Feb 2006, 18:31
Iain

They do suggest that you make dinner reservations before you get there.

Regards
#101870 by HighFlyer
25 Feb 2006, 20:41
Er, Mr McAuley, are you intending on joining us on this occasion? Otherise please feel free to start your own thread on fine eateries as opposed to hijacking mine ... ;) Kidding dear

I think a reservation is best, as there will be a number of us i think its best that they know we are coming in advance!

Thanks,
Sarah
#101894 by Decker
25 Feb 2006, 21:35
We THOUGHT about Dubai on the way to JNB so we could go first with Emirates but decided instead on S->G with VS. So no I just dropped by to pick holes... [:p]. ;)
#102429 by Tony T
28 Feb 2006, 22:46
Hi All.
Count Jackie and myself in. We will go with the majority decision regarding choice of restaurant. If whoever is booking the meal requires an up front deposit let us know. A couple of things we are thinking of doing is the "Bateau Dubai" a dinner cruise which comes highly recommended on Trip advisor. Also I am led to believe they have the biggest indoor ski slope in the world so we may give that a go. For reference I have just taken up skiing. Skiing is great but stopping is impossible, oh well!
We are both looking forward to meeting everybody.
Tony
#102438 by honey lamb
28 Feb 2006, 23:04
Originally posted by Tony T
. Also I am led to believe they have the biggest indoor ski slope in the world so we may give that a go. For reference I have just taken up skiing. Skiing is great but stopping is impossible, oh well!
Tony

Aer John has informed me he would like to try that too. He read it in an article in the Sunday Times travel section headed "Stopover in Style" Last Sunday's was Dubai and the previous week was Hong Kong, so we've had lots of tips for our trips [y]
#102442 by Tony T
28 Feb 2006, 23:13
honey lamb.
We used to take The Times but it took a couple of days to read the blooming thing so we now have a smaller paper. So, if you spotted any other good ideas for our trip I woulod be delighted if you would pass them on. Thanks
Tony
#102448 by honey lamb
28 Feb 2006, 23:35
honey lamb.
We used to take The Times but it took a couple of days to read the blooming thing so we now have a smaller paper. So, if you spotted any other good ideas for our trip I woulod be delighted if you would pass them on. Thanks
Tony

I tried the Sunday Times website but it doesn't seem to be on it. The ten things it listed were:
1. The Buddha Bar at the Grosvenor House Hotel
2. The Burj Al Arab (natch!)
3. The abra - a motorised taxi service which crosses the Creek
4. An Egyptian run cafe, the Fatafeet on Al Seef Street (no booze just fresh fruit juices) You can feast on meze (whatever that is) and puff on a shisha (whatever that is)
5. The gold souk, also mentioning the spice souk and the textile souk (£100 pashminas for £20) and the Mall of the Emirates which has 350 shops (That's Sarah sorted ;))
6. Ski Dubai (Two hour pass costs £18 includes ski or board hire, boots, poles, jacket and trousers - take your own hat and gloves. Avoid Thursdays and Fridays)
7. Jumeirah Mosque. Go 10am Thursday or Sunday with arms and legs covered and there is a 90 minute tour in English
8. Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in the Hilton Dubai Creek
9. The races at Nad Al Sheba Club. Evening meets every Thursday evening from November to April but gambling is illegal!
10. Three hotels mentioned if doing a stopover: The Residence, the Oasis Beach and the city centre Ibis

That's the article paraphrased.
#102454 by Tony T
28 Feb 2006, 23:44
Honey Lamb.
Thank you very much. There are 2-3 there I really fancy doing. The skiing is a definate. My wife is an accomplished skier who took me for the first time 2 weeks ago. She reckons with a lot more practice I could become an avalanch.
#102457 by honey lamb
28 Feb 2006, 23:51
Honey Lamb.
Thank you very much. There are 2-3 there I really fancy doing. The skiing is a definate. My wife is an accomplished skier who took me for the first time 2 weeks ago. She reckons with a lot more practice I could become an avalanch.

There's a website
#102519 by HighFlyer
01 Mar 2006, 10:32
Thanks HL for all those tips!

Im also very interested in Ski Dubai. I am a complete novice but would be up for giving it a go, and the prices are quite reasonable too.

James - I was thinking that one of us should contact the Burj with the dinner reservation as we have a room there? Sky hasnt dropped in yet, although i know he has been travelling Sweden recently. What say ye?

Thanks,
Sarah
#102775 by Tony T
01 Mar 2006, 23:24
HighFlyer.
If its of interest we are planning to go skiing on the Sunday. So if you or any of the others are interested please join us. Also we plan to have a couple of games of golf so if anyone fancies a game the more the merrier. I wished we had booked a longer trip now.
#102779 by mitchja
01 Mar 2006, 23:29
Sarah

I'll email them and make a reservation for the Al Muntaha for Saturday 1st April.

Just to confirm numbers, we have 7 adults and baby Daniel :

HighFlyer
mitchja
sky
TonyT
Mrs TonyT
iforres1
Mrs iforres1 + Daniel

Regards
#102786 by HighFlyer
01 Mar 2006, 23:35
Hey James

If you could that would be fab! Thanks for that, and looking like the makings of a good meal!!

Thanks,
Sarah
#102789 by buns
01 Mar 2006, 23:40
Highflyer

Thanks for setting up this topic[y][y]

I would really appreciate any feedback on what it is like as I am half way to convincing Mrs B that we might like to make the mayday bank holiday a chance to go Au by going to Dubai and back;);)

buns
#102792 by HighFlyer
01 Mar 2006, 23:47
No worries Buns, im sure there will be a plethora of DXB information and opinion generated by the V-Flyer scouting party!

If you only need the one trip to get your Au, i think it would be rude not to go, dont you? Im sure the pictures and TRs that will be posted in around 30 days or so will help convince Mrs Buns that Dubai will make a rather lovely trip away :)
#102794 by buns
01 Mar 2006, 23:50
Originally posted by HighFlyer
No worries Buns, im sure there will be a plethora of DXB information and opinion generated by the V-Flyer scouting party!

If you only need the one trip to get your Au, i think it would be rude not to go, dont you? Im sure the pictures and TRs that will be posted in around 30 days or so will help convince Mrs Buns that Dubai will make a rather lovely trip away :)

Sarah

You are absolute star[^][^][^]

buns
#107031 by mitchja
19 Mar 2006, 17:04
Well as the mini-VFlyer DXB met is just around the corner, thought I'd better post some meeting times/places

AL Muntaha Meeting Times/Place

As we have a dinner reservation for 19:00 at the Al Muntaha in the Burj Al Arab, may I suggest that we all meet at say 17:30 in the Burj Al Arab hotel lobby area. That way, it gives us plenty of time for the obligatory Burj Al Arab guided tour :D

For those of us on the VS400 on March 31st

I arrive at LHR off the BD587 from MAN at 12:00, so I should be at VS check-in by 13:00, giving me ample time to sample the new LHR Clubhouse (and hopefully phase 2 as well by then :)). May I suggest that we all meet up in the LHR Clubhouse during the afternoon.

Regards
#107127 by HighFlyer
20 Mar 2006, 00:14
As we have a dinner reservation for 19:00 at the Al Muntaha in the Burj Al Arab, may I suggest that we all meet at say 17:30 in the Burj Al Arab hotel lobby area. That way, it gives us plenty of time for the obligatory Burj Al Arab guided tour :D

Sounds good to me, i'll be in the Burj anyway, but i think its only right that we maximise our time there!

For those of us on the VS400 on March 31st

I arrive at LHR off the BD587 from MAN at 12:00, so I should be at VS check-in by 13:00, giving me ample time to sample the new LHR Clubhouse (and hopefully phase 2 as well by then :)). May I suggest that we all meet up in the LHR Clubhouse during the afternoon.

I dont think i'll get to the CH much before 5pm to be honest, so you and Iain had better not quaff all the Bubbly and nibbles! Me'thinks that somebody ought to warn the CH staff of our impending arrival!

James, you have my moby number anyway, although im sure i'll be able to find you guys in the CH when i arrive!

Thanks,
Sarah
#107397 by iforres1
21 Mar 2006, 16:06
Sounds like a plan,

Have booked the taxi for 3pm so depending on the M25 should be in the CH about 5'ish

Iain
#107523 by mitchja
21 Mar 2006, 23:55
BTW - Dont forget the mandatory swim wear required for the V-Flyer 'let's see how many people we can get in the spa' challenge [:p]

Regards
Virgin Atlantic