A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#12325 by GatorBaiter
23 Apr 2006, 16:36
7.40pm Mell, Lorna and Linz arrive with the pre-flight alcohol and some small items of luggage. A swift glass of vino before the taxi arrives at 7.45pm :).

7.45pm there is an announcement via the clubhouse communication system to say that the flight will be delayed by approximately five minutes, whilst the pilot tries to locate the stand [:(]. Having anticipated this situation occurring and therefore ensuring I had previously provided detailed instructions, with a stand number and exact GPS location, they still manage to fail – aaarrrgh! Thank goodness I had provided the Gator Baiter clubhouse hotline number [ii].

7.50pm aircraft pitches up at the stand. Managing to conceal some disappointment at having to travel on some old SK-Octavia, I decided it must be the well known G-VNAFF. The pilot could be likened to Crazy Cat Woman off the Simpsons (you know the one who comes barrelling out of her house with many cats attached, shouting nonsense). Well ok so no cats attached, but more cardigan than a school of teachers in midwinter. However, it was a safe flight and at a reasonable price, though lacking some refreshments of the alcoholic kind. Received an in-flight SMS from Chunty: Woman, where the hell are you? I’ve been drinking since 12 noon?!’. Oh this is gonna be interesting!

8.10pm fuss-free landing and rocked straight up to the stand. Got stung for the whole £20 airport tax (and on my birthday too – shame on you, other passengers!). Decided that perhaps my ‘knicker-skimmer’ (Mell’s words) [:0] was a wee bit draughty, though agreed with the girls that it’s either T or A, not both. Got some currency and headed for Edwards’.

8.15pm Highlight number one – the immigration dude says “Can I see some ID, please?”. Oh yes, yes you can! It’s my 29th birthday tomorrow, 11 years on the wrong side of 18. Get in there! :D:D:D[8D] I did ask if one of the girls had paid him to ask me for ID! Went inside to find Chris and his mate Dan propping up the bar [ii]. A few drinks and much merriment. Fellow V-Flyers Jonathan and Airbus (John) arrived a short while later and the alcohol consumption rate continued to speed up. Some superb cheese for dancing though most attention was being given to Daffyd (yes, the only gay in the village) who had arrived resplendent in his red PVC number with his harem of menfolk, whose heads were mostly adorned with plastic darts. Hmmmm! What’s the story at the table…? What next, Lewis the Duck turning up as my strip-o-gram?! Champagne toast to the birthday girl and also to V-Flyer ;).

9.15pm Ali and Sorab eventually turn up, yet more alcohol (no really?!) and some reminiscing about the outrageous last night of our London Business School course. There was an awards ceremony with winners of the votes being submitted to tequila slammers with a difference, the twist coming with licking the salt and getting hold of the lime. Less said the better! [:I] I was apparently top runner on 'Most Likely To Resign Next' and 'She'd Get It' [:0]. Some more grooving to quality 90s dance tunes before deciding it was time to head onwards to a club. Got outside and there was apparently an incident with some nutter gator girl pressing herself up against the window of the Wetherspoons trying to give the punters a cheap thrill! [:p]

10.30pm Decide on the Voodoo Lounge on Lorna’s recommendation and queue up outside. One too many V Ice’s (not the usual tipple but Edwards said they were out of wine… [?]). Decided to push my luck at passport control and told the officer on the desk that I was 17, and then politely asked if I would be allowed in (fluttering eyelashes at the same time, and smiling coyly of course). He decided to call my bluff and asked to see some ID. Twice in one night and three times in 2 weeks (buying Vodka in Sainsbury’s) :D. Then ensued some hold up, most likely some prude refusing to be body-searched. More taxes to pay - £12 to get in!!! Last time I went clubbing wasn’t it £3 before 11pm and also 12p for a packet of Polos. Ok, feeling older than I clearly look. And decidedly more skint. More booze before hitting the dance floor for some grooving and gyrating. Beginning to think that 4 inch spike-heeled boots were not the best idea for a night out dancing, but soldier on.

00.00 It’s officially my birthday – more alcohol to toast that! Got a well-timed text off a very good friend [y]. The girls have decided that their feet can last no more and that we’d give it another 15 minutes grooving to some cheese in the tart’s boudoir that was the Voodoo Lounge, before heading out to catch the return flight. Said my goodbyes to all the troops and headed out to the gate. Ah, just about enough time for some pre-flight nosh and in the lack of a kebab joint, a chicken teriyaki Subway was the next best thing. Wolfed the lot but the girls bailed on me and didn’t eat theirs – poor effort ladies! [n]

00.40pm aircraft arrives and this time the pilot appears a bit more switched on. Turns out he knows Linz and has flown the route many times before. An op up to better seats than the outward flight (perhaps my silver status has kicked in?). A smooth ride; even flew over school! Arrived home safe and sound, this time avoiding any airport taxes and grief at passport control. Mell suffered some flight sickness [:$] but the Gator Baiter travelled well given the alcohol consumption! Either way, we were in better shape than could be said for other members of the travelling party this morning, according to some of the in-flight voice calls and SMS. You know who you are ;)

Check out the pics in the photo gallery...about 8 or so uploaded.
#113764 by Scrooge
23 Apr 2006, 19:44
Sounds like as good a way as any to see in your...next year..happy birthday ..

May as well start planning for next year..the big..next one [:0]..hey,how about V-F thingy...say HNL 07 [y]
#113792 by Richard28
23 Apr 2006, 21:18
Great TR GB!

you're very unlucky to get G-VNAFF, that one normally does the runs in my neck of the woods!

Also congrats on writing such a detailed TR, when you seemed to spend most of the time at the inflight bar - the booze clearly did not affect your memory too much!!
#113805 by GatorBaiter
23 Apr 2006, 22:20
Originally posted by jetwet1
Sounds like as good a way as any to see in your...next year..happy birthday ..

May as well start planning for next year..the big..next one [:0]..hey,how about V-F thingy...say HNL 07 [y]

As long as you can find some way of getting me out of school, then I'm there! I had planned to be out of the country but given the big day lands on a Monday next year...[:#] How about a V-Flyer staged abduction for a day or two...? [:?] Would that be like an alien abduction? ;)
#113806 by GatorBaiter
23 Apr 2006, 22:21
Originally posted by Richard28
Great TR GB!

you're very unlucky to get G-VNAFF, that one normally does the runs in my neck of the woods!

[:o)] Is it driven by Crazy Cat Woman though?
#113873 by Bazz
24 Apr 2006, 12:02
Glad you (all) had a great time and congrats once again!
#113916 by MarkJ
24 Apr 2006, 15:26
Yes - as Bazz says - congrats again and what an excellent Trip (Drink) Report - very funny!!!
#114756 by arcanne
28 Apr 2006, 02:29
Good one J [y] - just had entertaining trip home[:$]- enjoy the elder years [:0]
#114773 by GatorBaiter
28 Apr 2006, 07:13
Thanks for the cheek, Badger Boy! ;)

And a hearty welcome to V-Flyer [y]
#114864 by FV75
28 Apr 2006, 18:00
Sounds like you had a good time, impressed you could remember so much. I struggle to remember my nights out these days. Not sure if it's the drink or my age.

Roll on the big 30.
#114870 by GatorBaiter
28 Apr 2006, 18:21
Hmm, I would say my reasonable memory was down to having not drunk that much but that would be utter tripe! [:I] I never seem to have suffered from alcohol-related memory loss which is not often a good thing...at least if you don't remember you can at least deny what you did, convincingly. As it is, I clearly recall the incident with the window of Wetherspoons [:0].
#114911 by Jonathan
28 Apr 2006, 22:00
Originally posted by GatorBaiter
I clearly recall the incident with the window of Wetherspoons [:0].

I can only imagine the look on the guys face!![:I]
Virgin Atlantic