A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#12414 by GatorBaiter
27 Apr 2006, 21:41
Hey guys n gals,

All my travel plans seem to have changed this year; I was meant to be going to visit friends in Vancouver in October and booked my VS PE reward flight plus connecting flights SFO-YVR with Air Canada. However, my 'friends' (and I use that term loosely now) have decided they will be coming to the UK October [V].

Therefore, I now have a PE flight to change. I called up FC today and asked about availability for May half term for West Coast and they have LAX for 27th May, returning 3rd June.

What I would like to know is whether any fellow V-Flyers would be around to meet up, or even show me the sights? I've never been outside of Florida, New York or New England so am a complete West Coast virgin [:I].

Or is anyone out there at the same time?

Answers on a $100 bill to the usual address! :D
#114704 by preiffer
27 Apr 2006, 22:17
Come out the week before - Phil, Ben and I are there... [:w]
#114708 by GatorBaiter
27 Apr 2006, 22:22
Originally posted by preiffer

Well now I am gonna throw my toys out of the pram! If you can convince my headteacher to let me swap half term then I am there. What date do you guys return?
#114713 by preiffer
27 Apr 2006, 22:26
Ben's back on the 21st, Phil and I are flying back on the 23rd.
#114716 by preiffer
27 Apr 2006, 22:32
Indeed - fancy only providing 12-14 weeks holiday a year [:0] Damn them... [:p]
#114717 by MarkJ
27 Apr 2006, 22:36
Last night Jetwet tonight Paul - here comes that pinata again.

Duck everyone!

( no not Lewis)
#114725 by honey lamb
27 Apr 2006, 23:14
Why don't you take an internal flight to Las Vegas? Jetwet1 can show you round and you can give him grammar lessons! [:w]

Win-win situation!
#114729 by mcmbenjamin
27 Apr 2006, 23:32
Originally posted by preiffer

So Phil's really coming too? Cool.

Well if you can't join us in SF then Las Vegas is fun. How about looking on the calendar? There always seams to be a bunch of VFers going to SF or LA. PM them and see what they are up to.

Personally I would fly into LAX. Fly Southwest Airlines LAX-OAK and tour San Francisco (and ATT Park Mcuth), fly SFO-LAS on America West (US Airways) and then back to LA on Southwest. Should not cost too much and would give you a good tour of the western states.
#114737 by mcuth
28 Apr 2006, 00:02
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
ATT Park

Grrrrr, you know how I feel about that name [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Cheers

Michael
#114742 by GatorBaiter
28 Apr 2006, 00:04
Er, what have I missed here? [?]

And come on you lot, get on it...I'll be lonely in California...who's coming out to play? ;)[:#]
#114746 by honey lamb
28 Apr 2006, 00:15
Hmmph! [V] Ben and I have made some very valid suggestions and they seem to have been ignored. [:(!]
#114747 by GatorBaiter
28 Apr 2006, 00:19
[B)][:#]

Sorry, honeylamb! I didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring you. It's just there's no availablity to Vegas so LAX is my only option at the mo for those dates given it's a reward flight.

Just soaking it all up and mulling it over.

Sorry again. I'll put myself in detention at school tomorrow and will wear the dunce hat all day long (I'll even take a pic if you like) [:#]
#114748 by honey lamb
28 Apr 2006, 00:32
Originally posted by GatorBaiter
[B)][:#]

Sorry, honeylamb! I didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring you. It's just there's no availablity to Vegas so LAX is my only option at the mo for those dates given it's a reward flight.

Just soaking it all up and mulling it over.

Sorry again. I'll put myself in detention at school tomorrow and will wear the dunce hat all day long (I'll even take a pic if you like) [:#]

Ahem! What we were suggesting was a flight LAX-LAS not a flight from Gatwick to Vegas. God knows, from what we have learned on V-Flyer is that they are as scarce as hen's teeth. [:0] The standard recommendation is to go to LAX or SFO and get to Vegas that way. Three quarters of the battle is to get to either of those destinations and you've managed that!

And if you get on America West to LAS you may also get a tier point - but the experts into Vegas can confirm that
#114749 by mcmbenjamin
28 Apr 2006, 00:46
To further HL's point about TPs. If you book First Class between LAS and SF0/LAX on America West (US Airways) you would earn one TP. Economy does not earn a TP as the flight is under 2000 miles. It is a short flight so unless the school board is paying or you won the lotto I would go economy. Some have had mixed results getting the TP when paying the $50.00 charge to upgrade to First from Economy on the day of departure. Remember domestic First in the U.S. of A. does not grant lounge access.
#114752 by onionz
28 Apr 2006, 00:51
Originally posted by honey lamb

And if you get on America West to LAS you may also get a tier point - but the experts into Vegas can confirm that

It does seem that you get the TP only if you book First Class in advance, as opposed to upgrading to First Class at checkin for $50 (and of course, definitely no tier points in economy).

Anyway...

As you've not been to the west coast, you could easily spend a whole week in any one of LAX, SFO and LAS and not see everything you need to. Not to mention many other places out that way, like aeroplane graveyards...
#114754 by onionz
28 Apr 2006, 01:03
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Darn it :) Jason beat me to it.

No Ben, looks to me like you beat me to it by a good 5 mins!
#114844 by Scrooge
28 Apr 2006, 16:10
Honest Dave's tour company is open for business.

You would be amazed at how much you can see and do on the west coast in 5-6 days,i'll drop you a line.
#114847 by Jonathan
28 Apr 2006, 16:44
Jacq

I'm in DC 25-29th May if you want to save a few miles (assuming they have reward availability)
#114859 by GatorBaiter
28 Apr 2006, 17:41
Originally posted by jetwet1
Honest Dave's tour company is open for business.

You would be amazed at how much you can see and do on the west coast in 5-6 days,i'll drop you a line.

Honest Dave? I thought it was Diamond Dave? ;) Cheers, look forward to the itinerary then!
#114861 by GatorBaiter
28 Apr 2006, 17:44
Originally posted by Jonathan
Jacq

I'm in DC 25-29th May if you want to save a few miles (assuming they have reward availability)

Thanks for the offer but I'd set my mind on somewhere slightly warmer and tother side for a change. Oh yes, and I expect FC are about to start screening my calls given that I've changed it from SFO in October already, and have been enquiring as to any availability for a long list of US cities over half term and for summer hols [:I] Sure you can't change your plans....? [}:)]
#114876 by preiffer
28 Apr 2006, 19:17
Originally posted by GatorBaiter
Sure you can't change your plans....? [}:)]
Pretty sure the Daily Mail's computer will say no.... [}:)]
#114892 by Scrooge
28 Apr 2006, 20:32
That sucks,would of been fun to make this a mini VF tour.

Just a small word of warning though to any that want to join...

You will need a rental car,a lead foot,some good cd's and a love of driving.

So far plan is..

Vegas to the Grand Canyon...over night in Laughlin..Laughlin to San Diego spend a night there,maybe down to Mexico for a couple of days of R and R then up to LA...of course right now this is pretty fluid and may even end up being done in reverse [:0]
Virgin Atlantic