A forum for discussion of Social Activities
#14171 by RichardMannion
30 Jul 2006, 13:52
Fresh from the social yesterday, and in lieu of the shelved Haircut Run comes the Planes, Trains and Automobile adventure.

Thursday 2nd November - Fly to Boston (my birthday so I may have a champagne or two)

Sunday 5th November - journey to New York JFK to make use of the lounge:

via Train - Acela Express - $81 for a Business seat (with inseat power!) for 3h35m journey to Penn Station

Boston, MA
South Station
(BOS)
11:10 am
05-NOV-06 New York, NY
Penn Station
(NYP)
2:45 pm
05-NOV-06

or
via Automobile - same journey takes 3h30m according to MSN Mappoint - I foresee a Top Gear-esque race....

Ultimately plan is to have a group meal for whoever cna make it on the Saturday evening in Boston, and of course takeover of the JFK CH on the Sundy evening.

I have some corp rates at hotels in the Back Bay, and there is award availability showing at the various chains (Starwood, Hilton etc) that wish to use points in said way.

Not sure if there are any sports events on the Saturday afternoon, would have to defer to Nick on that one...

Premium fare is currently £830 for a K, though I beleive this may fall slightly int he next few weeks with the upcoming sale.

Thanks,
Richard
#129738 by Nottingham Nick
30 Jul 2006, 17:29
For those of us who will be travelling 'down the back' in economy, X class (full mileage and TP earning) fares are coming back at £411. i.e. £275 plus the taxes and surcharges.

The outbound BOS flight and all the incoming JFK flights are looking wide open at the moment.

Nick
#129745 by mitchja
30 Jul 2006, 17:46
Tempted here (although it would have to be in Y as well) but I havn't got many days holiday left here. I could do something silly like fly to BOS on Nov 4th instead although that's coming back at £426. If I could get it for <£400 I might go for it.

Dont want to use miles as saving those for next year.

TP's not an issue as I've already re-qualified for Au this year.

Regards
#129751 by pegitt
30 Jul 2006, 18:27
Ah i'm out on this one, i wil be in vegas 30th oct to the 4th nov.

Phil
#129754 by preiffer
30 Jul 2006, 19:26
I'm unlikely to be in on this one at this point, too.
#129756 by Decker
30 Jul 2006, 19:34
We're up for it - we think... :)
#129759 by mcuth
30 Jul 2006, 20:16
Highly unlikely that I'll be able to make it too.

Cheers

Michael
#129771 by buns
30 Jul 2006, 22:05
Mrs Buns says I can go;)[:I];)

buns
#129777 by honey lamb
30 Jul 2006, 22:54
Alas Aer John and I will be returning from a quick trip to Florida on Nov 2.

Just missed again
#129788 by mcmbenjamin
31 Jul 2006, 01:17
Will be in NYC on Nov. 5 and 6 for the marathon.

HL: You retire in about four months time. When is a good time to have a social according to your social calendar :)?
#129792 by VS-EWR
31 Jul 2006, 02:38
I'd really like to be able to go to a V-F gathering one day..
#129977 by mitchja
01 Aug 2006, 13:08
Looks like VS have now released some N fares as an Economy flight deprating Nov 2 to BOS and returning Nov 5 from JFK (VS4) is coming out at £362.60 including tax [:w]

Regards
#129983 by Bazz
01 Aug 2006, 13:29
Sorry guys but will have to give it a miss.
#129994 by preiffer
01 Aug 2006, 13:53
Was the date worked around anything? First I'd heard of the firming up of arrangements was this thread... [:?]
#130000 by HighFlyer
01 Aug 2006, 14:10
Originally posted by preiffer
Was the date worked around anything?

Well, Richard's birthday is the 2nd Nov, so a good excuse to spend some moolah on travel ... or to pap him drinking alcohol in the Clubhouse :D

I'm not quite sure how the arrangements got 'firmed' either, probably somehting to do with Alcohol at the RBS, but that doesnt stop me from looking at lovely Hotels in Boston! Got my eye on the Westin at present ;)

Needless to say, we will be there anyway, and it would be fab to meet up with some fellow V-Flyer friends for the ride!

Lragely undecided what class we will book in so far, but thats a great N fare though James ... [:?]

Thanks,
Sarah
#130006 by Littlejohn
01 Aug 2006, 14:23
Originally posted by HighFlyer

Lragely undecided what class we will book in so far, but thats a great N fare though James ... [:?]

Oh yeh! Sure! Coming from Miss "Richard, has our room got a bigger balcony that Tony's?" I find it hard to believe you could tear yourselves away from the bar.;)
#130017 by HighFlyer
01 Aug 2006, 15:12
Originally posted by sailor99

Oh yeh! Sure! Coming from Miss "Richard, has our room got a bigger balcony that Tony's?" I find it hard to believe you could tear yourselves away from the bar.;)

I'm waiting for Jason to read this, and to see if he was sober enough to remember me saying (quite loudly) 'Don't be so elitist' at the RBS :)

Yes, i know the prospect of me flying Economy sounds unlikely, but i am game to give it a go if there is a group travelling, im not *that* bad you know! I'm currently looking at a nice K fare ... and pondering the eternal dilemma of 'do i or dont i give myself the option to U/G ...' [:?]

Thanks,
Sarah
#130019 by mcmbenjamin
01 Aug 2006, 15:25
I take it there will the rule of 'If offered a op-up I will turn it down."
#130020 by Littlejohn
01 Aug 2006, 15:26

I'm waiting for Jason to read this, and to see if he was sober enough to remember me saying (quite loudly) 'Don't be so elitist' at the RBS :)

I think, if you are able to cast your mind back, you might find it was me you said that to, unless you said it more than once.[ii]

Yes, i know the prospect of me flying Economy sounds unlikely, but i am game to give it a go if there is a group travelling, im not *that* bad you know! I'm currently looking at a nice K fare ... and pondering the eternal dilemma of 'do i or dont i give myself the option to U/G ...

Well, OK, you know, one event causes another, OK, but sometimes, you just gotta say, the laws of time and space? Who gives a smeg!
#130028 by HighFlyer
01 Aug 2006, 15:58
Originally posted by sailor99
I think, if you are able to cast your mind back, you might find it was me you said that to

Ooops! Oh the power of Alcohol ... [:I] Either that or my memory is on its way out ... not getting any younger you know!

And as for Causality ... Well, maybe thats the next mad trip ... a flight half way around the world just to stock up on some decent curry!!!

Thanks,
Sarah
#130030 by Littlejohn
01 Aug 2006, 16:01

And as for Causality ... Well, maybe thats the next mad trip ... a flight half way around the world just to stock up on some decent curry!!!

... and lager - the only thing that will kill a vindaloo.

Now, back on topic. Normal service is resumed everyone, and sorry for the delay.
#130056 by Scrooge
01 Aug 2006, 17:05
Now back off topic for a sec.

There is nothing wrong with flying half way around the world to find a good curry..oh and spring roll's.

Ok normal service my now start.
#130069 by HighFlyer
01 Aug 2006, 17:21
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin

Hmmm .... The jury is still out on that one i am afriad Ben ... [:w] I think i'd look at it as the Lords way of providing comfort during times of hardship, so would probably be rude to refuse a purple boarding pass :D.

Thanks,
Sarah
#130072 by mitchja
01 Aug 2006, 17:26
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin

Hmmm .... The jury is still out on that one i am afriad Ben ... [:w] I think i'd look at it as the Lords way of providing comfort during times of hardship, so would probably be rude to refuse a purple boarding pass :D.

Thanks,
Sarah

The other problem with that is, if you did turn an op-up down, would you get offered one again.....Hmmmmm

I agree with Sarah, it would be quite rude to say no [:w].

Regards
#134458 by buns
21 Aug 2006, 22:30
With the recently announced economy seat sale or for those who may be inclined to splash out on the PE Sale.

Is it now time to act[:w][:w][:?][:?]

Offers only open until 23 August though

buns
Virgin Atlantic